Car-spotting thread

iman29

Heard this thing coming up behind me on route 80 after my trip to rockaway mall Covid vaccination site.

I moved over one lane I let off the gas to let the car pass. This thing was slammed low I don’t know how the undercarriage didn’t hit the ground on some of the overpass bridges. It was LOUD and manual transmission but she knew how to drive it (yes she )
76AE6975-A8C8-4CB8-846C-829F2076D645.png

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@Dingo can correct me if im wrong bc im better with fords of this era than chevys....but pretty sure 62 impala...also pretty sure is an SS bc i remember my dad once telling me the SS' had bucket seats rather then bench seats....cant read what engine tho...283, 327, 409...I think 348s were gone by 62
409, its hard to take good pictures with 200lbs of dog rough housing on the other end of the leash

Possibly a 409, hard to read the number. SS was a trim option, could even get it with a 6 cyl.

Or you could get a 409 dual quad in a station wagon... This is really cool.

yup the badge said 409, we kind of know the people whos driveway it was partially blocking, i assume its a friend of theirs ill have to remember to ask about it next time i see them

ebarker9

When I decided to void all the warrantees on my VW, part of my rationalization was that i didn't want those guys working on my car anyway. The ONE time I brought my e-golf to the local dealer for a software update, I asked them to rotate my tires, thinking I'd at least give them a few bucks. For my trouble I got a paint chip on the hood that looked exactly like an air chuck and the next time I rotated the tires myself, I found each wheel had 4 lugs banged on with the gun set to kill and the locking nuts hand tight.

I don't think I'm a particularly good mechanic but I do have one big advantage - I'm not in any hurry.

I had a door seal leak in my Golf R. Think they had to redo it 3 or 4 times before getting it anywhere close to acceptable. It was bad enough that they had to replace the carpet. Even after many visits I still have trim that's not attached. Eventually gave up because they clearly don't care about doing halfway reasonable work.

IMG_20191221_160244.jpg
IMG_20200622_123911.jpg

Last edited:

mfennell

I had a door seal leak in my Golf R.

In heavy rain, my 2019 VW leaks water into the cabin at the base of the rear doors, just like my 2015 e-golf did. So, not only did they F-up (I've never owned a car that leaked water into the car), they never bothered to get it right when they did the mid-cycle refresh. The pano roofs are so bad that they've done buy-backs.

OTOH, I basically bolted/tuned my way to 2X the stock HP and it probably won't blow up.

ebarker9

Yup, never noticed anything on the passenger's side rear, but the driver's side rear door was allowing enough water that the carpet was saturated and smelling like a dead animal was in there. These cars do so much well but still have a handful of really dumb problems.

Have so far resisted the allure of significant HP gains, but...maybe one day.

JonF

Those are for the fork lift, so the junk yard can move it around easier. These are the biggest POS gm has ever sold to the public
what's the issue with this gen silverado? I was looking at one since i may be eligible for the GM family discount (though not sure if its worthwhile yet).

Reactions: don

Dingo

what's the issue with this gen silverado? I was looking at one since i may be eligible for the GM family discount (though not sure if its worthwhile yet).
Lots of things....Transmission troubles,broken valve springs that blow up the engine, oil cooler lines that pop off and blow up the engine, AC leaks, electrical nitemares, radio/entertainment issues, water leaks into cabin. That silly origami tailgate, and the fact it's 9ft tall, most people need a ladder to check the oil. All this for 60K++++ ???
Lot of buyer remorse. Personally I would not recommend any gm vehicle, they are not your father's GM... TURD TURD

Reactions: don

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
Lots of things....Transmission troubles,broken valve springs that blow up the engine, oil cooler lines that pop off and blow up the engine, AC leaks, electrical nitemares, radio/entertainment issues, water leaks into cabin. That silly origami tailgate, and the fact it's 9ft tall, most people need a ladder to check the oil. All this for 60K++++ ???
Lot of buyer remorse. Personally I would not recommend any gm vehicle, they are not your father's GM... TURD TURD
I've always had great luck with the older GMCs (I've owned 5, including 2 Scyclones). Once I'm ready to let @Patrick 's go to the salvage yard in the sky, is there a year range of newer ones (>2010??) that are acceptable (Sierra or Canyon)?

Last edited:

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I've always had great luck with the older GMCs (I've owned 5, including 2 Scyclones). Once I'm ready to let @Patrick 's go to the salvage yard in the sky, is there a year range of newer ones (>2010??) that are acceptable (Sierra or Canyon)?
Go for 400K !

Dingo

Define newer.. To me any thing after 2006 is a turd. Thats when the DOD started. TONS of cam and lifter problems, oil consumption. You already know about the transmissions. The six speeds were good until about 2012, and those turned into a turd, pumps and converters dropping like flies. All the 8 and 9 speeds are pure crap.
Speaking of DOD, they just announced there will be certain 2021 that have no DOD. Those will be the one to get. Supposedly because of the chip shortage, they wont have it.
Think of your Buick fiasco, just put a bed on it..... turd

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Define newer.. To me any thing after 2006 is a turd. Thats when the DOD started. TONS of cam and lifter problems, oil consumption. You already know about the transmissions. The six speeds were good until about 2012, and those turned into a turd, pumps and converters dropping like flies. All the 8 and 9 speeds are pure crap.
Speaking of DOD, they just announced there will be certain 2021 that have no DOD. Those will be the one to get. Supposedly because of the chip shortage, they wont have it.
Think of your Buick fiasco, just put a bed on it..... turd
My 2000 and 03 Yukon XL's were great except for something that caused knocking on the front end while turning. I can't remember what it was. Those were mostly repaired under warranty. My 08,12 and 17 have all had either major engine or repeated transmission problems. Almost always had to fight to get any type of warranty coverage even though every forum is filled with owner's with the same exact issues.

Dingo

My 2000 and 03 Yukon XL's were great except for something that caused knocking on the front end while turning. I can't remember what it was. Those were mostly repaired under warranty. My 08,12 and 17 have all had either major engine or repeated transmission problems. Almost always had to fight to get any type of warranty coverage even though every forum is filled with owner's with the same exact issues.
Agree, those '98 to '06 were pretty reliable. Transmissions did have issues, but were easily repaired or modified for longevity. Seen plenty go the long haul 300k with just normal maintenance.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
The convertible Nissans are one of my favorite horrible cars. They made next to nothing of them, but I see them every now and then.

Scottsdale is filled with cars like the Ferrari. Played the game of "which douchebag sitting outside the coffee shop owns this Ferrari". I guessed the overly manicured guy talking on the phone while dealing with the staff. I guessed correctly.

The Ferarris/Lambos/Porsches/Etc are so common out there I didn't even bother to take pictures.

2021-03-25 07.40.56.jpg2021-03-29 08.03.29.jpg2021-03-29 10.42.07.jpg

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
Go for 400K !
I'm still trying for 300K! The fuel lines and filter are rusted and leaking now and the brakes sound like metal on metal. I think it's those cheap rotors that I put on it when I didn't want to put any more money into it. What to do??? :shrug:

Dingo

I'm still trying for 300K! The fuel lines and filter are rusted and leaking now and the brakes sound like metal on metal. I think it's those cheap rotors that I put on it when I didn't want to put any more money into it. What to do??? :shrug:
Those fuel lines can be a pain to replace. Or cut and measure, have the Hose Shop make up some rubber lines, and just zip tie them on.

Top Bottom