Car-spotting thread

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
It will be a game changer once Toyota or Honda get into serious electric cars.

While a Tesla may be nice, they have a long way to go for reliability. If they can't get panel gaps consistent, what other important things are broken?

mfennell

They're a lot like <insert favorite euro brand here>. Objectively crap in a lot of ways, but people love them.

The service is terrible too. John says every trip to service is a crapshoot on whether it comes back better or worse. When he fixed his heater, he found a bunch of missing fasteners from previous work.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
They're a lot like <insert favorite euro brand here>. Objectively crap in a lot of ways, but people love them.

The service is terrible too. John says every trip to service is a crapshoot on whether it comes back better or worse. When he fixed his heater, he found a bunch of missing fasteners from previous work.
and after that he STILL bought another one?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!

i dont get it, if any other car company did that people would swear off buying from them ever again.

Mahnken

and after that he STILL bought another one?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!

i dont get it, if any other car company did that people would swear off buying from them ever again.
I find that I'm rarely happy with dealership service. Doesn't matter what brand.

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I find that I'm rarely happy with dealership service. Doesn't matter what brand.

True, thats why i wont pay for dealership service, but no matter how bad i have never found parts MISSING (even something as simple and potentially benign as screws) after a dealer service, i would be in there fuming if i found that (benign or not, it leaves too many questions about what IMPORTANT stuff they missed, at least for me)

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
True, thats why i wont pay for dealership service, but no matter how bad i have never found parts MISSING (even something as simple and potentially benign as screws) after a dealer service, i would be in there fuming if i found that (benign or not, it leaves too many questions about what IMPORTANT stuff they missed, at least for me)
There’s an independent garage around the corner from me. Over the years I’ve found a screwdriver, crescent wrench, diagnostic computer and phone all left in my truck on separate trips.

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
There’s an independent garage around the corner from me. Over the years I’ve found a screwdriver, crescent wrench, diagnostic computer and phone all left in my truck on separate trips.

well lucky you, i guess thats better than finding nuts/bolts/washers other miscellaneous parts laying in the truck

mfennell

When I decided to void all the warrantees on my VW, part of my rationalization was that i didn't want those guys working on my car anyway. The ONE time I brought my e-golf to the local dealer for a software update, I asked them to rotate my tires, thinking I'd at least give them a few bucks. For my trouble I got a paint chip on the hood that looked exactly like an air chuck and the next time I rotated the tires myself, I found each wheel had 4 lugs banged on with the gun set to kill and the locking nuts hand tight.

I don't think I'm a particularly good mechanic but I do have one big advantage - I'm not in any hurry.

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
I find it varies even within a brand, not only for quality but for price. Get this: I needed to get a rear differential fluid drain/fill. My local BMW dealer (5 mins away) wanted $550 for it. The one I prefer to go to (30 mins away) charged me $130. Same service, same fluid. I watched the tech change it. It was a 15 minute job. If I had jacks or a lift I could have done it myself but for $130 and peace of mind I’m ok with that. But $400+ more? Ridiculous.

Dingo

I find it varies even within a brand, not only for quality but for price. Get this: I needed to get a rear differential fluid drain/fill. My local BMW dealer (5 mins away) wanted $550 for it. The one I prefer to go to (30 mins away) charged me $130. Same service, same fluid. I watched the tech change it. It was a 15 minute job. If I had jacks or a lift I could have done it myself but for $130 and peace of mind I’m ok with that. But $400+ more? Ridiculous.
Dealers are independent franchises. They can charge what ever they feel the market will tolerate. The manufacture has no say in this. Always best to shop around.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.

Everyone says that Euro Brand will take over the Electric Market in a huge way. Anyone that's owned one knows that electrical components are not their strong point.

I had 20 something sunroofs get stuck open. Door locks not work. Radio turn on/off. Windows open and close at will. I had a Corrado that the wing randomly went up and down. Not to mention the Audis that drove themselves through garages 🤣🤣🤣

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
@Dingo can correct me if im wrong bc im better with fords of this era than chevys....but pretty sure 62 impala...also pretty sure is an SS bc i remember my dad once telling me the SS' had bucket seats rather then bench seats....cant read what engine tho...283, 327, 409...I think 348s were gone by 62
Yep that's a '62.

Dingo

@Dingo can correct me if im wrong bc im better with fords of this era than chevys....but pretty sure 62 impala...also pretty sure is an SS bc i remember my dad once telling me the SS' had bucket seats rather then bench seats....cant read what engine tho...283, 327, 409...I think 348s were gone by 62
Possibly a 409, hard to read the number. SS was a trim option, could even get it with a 6 cyl.

Or you could get a 409 dual quad in a station wagon... This is really cool.

Last edited:
Top Bottom