Bring your Pizza skillz

ilnadi

Tonight, clockwise from the top: older son's pepperoni calzone; my parmesan hot pepper and herbs-from-yard; wife's raisin, walnut, rum; NICA boy's plain calzone that he does not even cut, eats like a hot pocket
20200828_200801.jpg

Karate Monkey

They're a little well done, but otherwise acceptable; portabella, cubanelle, salted mozzarella, and shredded parmesan. The sauce is homemade with more than a little accidental spice (lid from the red pepper feel off), so I guess that would make them arrabbiata.

IMG_20200917_222302.jpg
IMG_20200917_222307.jpg

Karate Monkey

With your dough recipe, can you freeze and re-thaw?

Haven't tried yet, so dunno...but I don't see why not, since you can do that with most doughs, as long as you leave ample time for it to come back to room temperature. I often make some and leave it in the fridge a few days, and it doesn't effect it much.

Karate Monkey

View attachment 139677

This thread makes me hungry. On a special diet where I cant have white flour. So here is a pic of my wife version of pizza using a chick pea flour crust. Everything on top is organic.

White, or wheat? If it's just processed (hulled) flour, you can hydrate the whole wheat for 12-24 hours with milk to help the hull break down (makes it less tough) and to form some gluten bonds without excessive kneading. Shoot for 80 percent of the flour like that in the recipe, mixed with the called for liquid as milk, and a pinch of yeast. Add everything else after the wait.

I'll try it and report back, but it shouldn't be fundamentally different from 100% whole wheat sourdough bread.

Frank

Sasquatch
White, or wheat? If it's just processed (hulled) flour, you can hydrate the whole wheat for 12-24 hours with milk to help the hull break down (makes it less tough) and to form some gluten bonds without excessive kneading. Shoot for 80 percent of the flour like that in the recipe, mixed with the called for liquid as milk, and a pinch of yeast. Add everything else after the wait.

I'll try it and report back, but it shouldn't be fundamentally different from 100% whole wheat sourdough bread.

No wheat whatsoever. No rice, no potatoes either......I miss real crust and french fries. Lol

Karate Monkey

ACtC-3fs4t-j1Q8LKQqeXWdyRLTw2aTYPLoacMMRPdCtr-DBgIi66xvGNUkJUnTxwUhp-ZysFE121sp3YE67ylhqxpXbNnvOKuSR6u_aKKGIo1-PsaJEbL46AGchmC3mmwmTbjM7Tsf4PPRFiYx3FdJb86FG=w1300-h976-no

4 cups flour
1.5 cups lukewarm water
2 T olive oil
1 T sugar
2 t kosher sea salt
1 t instant yeast

(Combine water, sugar, yeast; let foam. Combine rest of ingredients, mix to combine, then knead until silky. Oil/proof until doubled. Divide into portions, ball, and then stretch however you do into pizza.). You could monkey with the yeast/sugar ratios to taste, I suspect. As soon as I settle on a final recipe, I'll change it to baker's percentages.

Okay, so, no changes to the pizza dough recipe this time except subbing the AP+wheat gluten/bread flour for Tipo 00. This apparently has a lower gluten content than the other two. What was formerly a struggle to get stretched out was done in a couple of minutes; the stand mixer was much happier with the dough, and didn't struggle kneading quite so much. It was also easier to hit the hydration target without going over, though the resultant dough was just a tiny bit sticky. The 'downsides' (differences, really): WAY easier to tear than the other flours--but easier to stretch--and slightly...slightly...less chewy than higher gluten content. I'm still struggling a bit keeping tiny tears from forming in the dough...I'll get one every three or four pizzas that I don't catch until it's time to remove it from the oven. That said, while the previous usage of flours resulted in a thicker, more substantial pizza, the extra fine milled flour got thin super easy, if that is your goal (You know how easy the guys at the pizza place make it look? Yeah, that easy).

Oh, that's: spicy red sauce, fresh mozzarella, cored/thinly sliced pineapple, ham, and shredded hard provolone on the top.

@Frank if you want a jar of sauce, I'm making more next week-ish, once I run out of my current stuff in the freezer. Let me know what size mason jar you want.

serviceguy

ACtC-3fs4t-j1Q8LKQqeXWdyRLTw2aTYPLoacMMRPdCtr-DBgIi66xvGNUkJUnTxwUhp-ZysFE121sp3YE67ylhqxpXbNnvOKuSR6u_aKKGIo1-PsaJEbL46AGchmC3mmwmTbjM7Tsf4PPRFiYx3FdJb86FG=w1300-h976-no

4 cups flour
1.5 cups lukewarm water
2 T olive oil
1 T sugar
2 t kosher sea salt
1 t instant yeast

(Combine water, sugar, yeast; let foam. Combine rest of ingredients, mix to combine, then knead until silky. Oil/proof until doubled. Divide into portions, ball, and then stretch however you do into pizza.). You could monkey with the yeast/sugar ratios to taste, I suspect. As soon as I settle on a final recipe, I'll change it to baker's percentages.

Okay, so, no changes to the pizza dough recipe this time except subbing the AP+wheat gluten/bread flour for Tipo 00. This apparently has a lower gluten content than the other two. What was formerly a struggle to get stretched out was done in a couple of minutes; the stand mixer was much happier with the dough, and didn't struggle kneading quite so much. It was also easier to hit the hydration target without going over, though the resultant dough was just a tiny bit sticky. The 'downsides' (differences, really): WAY easier to tear than the other flours--but easier to stretch--and slightly...slightly...less chewy than higher gluten content. I'm still struggling a bit keeping tiny tears from forming in the dough...I'll get one every three or four pizzas that I don't catch until it's time to remove it from the oven. That said, while the previous usage of flours resulted in a thicker, more substantial pizza, the extra fine milled flour got thin super easy, if that is your goal (You know how easy the guys at the pizza place make it look? Yeah, that easy).

Oh, that's: spicy red sauce, fresh mozzarella, cored/thinly sliced pineapple, ham, and shredded hard provolone on the top.

@Frank if you want a jar of sauce, I'm making more next week-ish, once I run out of my current stuff in the freezer. Let me know what size mason jar you want.
abomination.gif

Karate Monkey

I did it before because the missus likes it, but now that I know Leo is bothered by it:

PXL_20200927_235535387.jpg
PXL_20200928_002602711.jpg

Don't worry @serviceguy , the other one has no pineapple. Hot sausage, poblano or jalapeño, shiitake, etc.

Top Bottom