Breakfast?

norm wont reach my side of the park till 8:30-9, so i have plenty of time. i'll likely be tagging along for part of the ride, but want to ride to parents in jefferson in the early afternoon.

first thing to pass my lips this morning: caramel porter. finished my oatmeal, still drinking the porter, before i head out for a mostly road ride on the mtb.

are you still here sean? did you have one to many????

I forgot about the beer thing this morning. But before my ride i had a wawa pancake sizzlie, chocolate milk and a power bar.

Anyone with more experience find eating too close to riding to be detrimental to your overall endurance? I've read that you shouldn't eat anything up to 4 hours before riding. I personally hate having anything in my stomach before I ride but in the morning I am hungry. It is tough to go to the ride with a growling stomach although once I start pedaling I forget all about being hungry. I'll eat maybe half a banana or a slice of toast with pb an hour or two before the ride sometimes.

Anyone with more experience find eating too close to riding to be detrimental to your overall endurance? I've read that you shouldn't eat anything up to 4 hours before riding.
This runs counter to what my experience and reading tells.

If you start a ride w/o eating beforehand, whatever glycogen you have available is only based on what you ate before bed. Assuming that's last night's dinner, you've already burnt off a fair amount just doing your regular stuff and sleeping. Unless you start fueling up on the bike fairly early, you're setting yourself up for decreased endurance by not eating.

Of course, it's important not to have a pile of food sitting in your stomach at the start of a ride, so a couple of hours maybe needed to digest. This rule is different for everyone and also directly related to the intensity of the expected effort. A race will reveal digestive problems a lot more than an easy endurance-pace ride.

On slow winter road rides I can eat just about anything and it won't bother me. The harder I go, the less I can tolerate solid food.

Definitely agree with what ChrisG says.

When you wake up your liver is empty of glycogen, so you need to top that off. Your muscles are generally fine but the entire amount of glycogen in your body is limited for sure. If you have limited time I would shoot for liquid calories, Accelerade/Gatorade/etc and eat (drink) early and often on the bike. Or dried dates before a ride - stuff with GI through the roof.

Everyone seems to take a while to really get it down what works for them.

just keep riding and eat whatever.........................

back in the late 90s this was my motto..... I would eat terribly, like wendys double cheeseburgers with fries before doing 2 laps of blue marsh, which was about 48 miles..... ask ChrisG about it

I was quick and fast, but still a fatso

now starting back into it, I'm going to try my best to work both ends of it, seat time and diet

You got a house yet or what? Keeping on topic, you can now cook food in your new kitchen.

yup, we got the house, closed on thursday, and at the last minute, Bank of america offered us a mortgage that was out of this world. saved us close to $500 per month.

I'll definately be looking to hit up my new kitchen, new appliances.

hey Walt, I'll be looking to hit cheesequake some days right after work, if ya wanna join me, no dates set yet. you know, not the greatest place, but cant beat the convenience of it. I can ride there from the house in about 5 minutes.

This runs counter to what my experience and reading tells.

What are you reading? Everything I read/see on-line says to not eat too close to a ride (unless it's liquid/goo like Norm suggests) as it will cause your blood sugar to actually drop for awhile.

I am still struggling with occasional cramping/near cramping on harder efforts and I'm trying to eliminate any possible cause other than conditioning (wishful thinking I know).

Which brings me to another question: If I cramp during hard efforts, and from what I read/hear the only way to really get past this is to condition yourself by riding longer/harder, how do I do this without cramping? It's like a catch 22 for me.

What are you reading? Everything I read/see on-line says to not eat too close to a ride (unless it's liquid/goo like Norm suggests) as it will cause your blood sugar to actually drop for awhile.

I am still struggling with occasional cramping/near cramping on harder efforts and I'm trying to eliminate any possible cause other than conditioning (wishful thinking I know).

Which brings me to another question: If I cramp during hard efforts, and from what I read/hear the only way to really get past this is to condition yourself by riding longer/harder, how do I do this without cramping? It's like a catch 22 for me.
I'm not suggesting that you eat right before riding. Everyone has a different digestion rate and some experimentation is needed, but starting a ride w/o replenishing your glycogen stores can't be desirable.

Cramping- if your hydration and nutrition are on par, then it's a fitness issue, and it's once again a matter of working your way up in terms of intensity and duration.

I have no problem eating right before I get on a bike. Infact, I do it regulary. Keep in mind, I'm also used to eating every 2 hours per day. I usually don't eat in the middle of a ride, but I can as well.

I had a weak breakfast this morning. Small bowl of Kashi cereal with skim milk, went to the gym and then enjoyed a pb&j. In 30 mins, I'll be taking down a 50g protein shake with 240 cals and 3g of fat. MMMMMMMMMMmmmmm Bitch!

Cramping- if your hydration and nutrition are on par, then it's a fitness issue, and it's once again a matter of working your way up in terms of intensity and duration.

That's what I was afraid of. :)
I guess it's just a matter of slowly increasing duration and effort over time without killing myself. I think I ride too many relatively short rides and when the bigger rides come along I am just not ready. Or maybe I just ride too often? Is 23 out of the last 30 days too much?

Or maybe I just ride too often? Is 23 out of the last 30 days too much?
Depends on duration & intensity of rides and how many in succession. Lot of variables as to how many is too much or not enough.

I rode 22 of the last 30 days along with 6 sessions of gym climbing. 3 days in the month of May with no exercise. This was fine for me, but could easily be too much or not enough for others.

ytc,

Just for shits & giggles before your next big ride try to drink like 2 quarts of water before you start. As much as you can when you get up, then just keep going. Right before you ride drink another 2, maybe some liquid calories.

I wouldn't worry too much about the blood sugar dropping. I've seen some more recent studies that show that your blood sugar can indeed drop, but it has no effect on performance. In fact it helped performance in the long run. I think the takeaway there is, "they" don't really know.

todays uber-healthy breakfast:

large ham and cheese omelet
bacon
home fries
buttered toast
oj
tea

:cool:

Back
Top Bottom