BIYF Winter 2020-2021: Go Zwift or Go Home!!!!

1/21

2.5 pts + 4 bonus pts = 6.5 points

I'm taking the remaining trail marker points for this ride because there is no way I'm getting back on any local trails tomorrow (I work tomorrow and can't travel). This is what my poor bike looked like at one point in my ride today 😢 The back wheel would not even rotate. I legitimately covered 5 parks today. They were all soft but ridable. However I was a bad trail steward riding the Ralph Stover section of my route....way too muddy!
Image-1 (25).jpg

I started my ride on the yellow trail at Frenchtown Preserve, then headed south on the D&R trail of the Delaware and Raritan Canal State Park.
FP.jpg
D&R.jpg

After crossing the border into PA, I climbed up to and rode some of Tohickon Valley Park ('Trail' marker sign), which eventually led into the Yellow then Blue blaze trail at Ralph Stover State Park, the park of mud. This picture was taken before the mudfest.
Tohickon.jpg
RS.jpg

After leaving Stover I took the road back down to the river (and some how got a QOM trying to fling mud off my bike as fast as I could), then took the D&L Trail, of the Delaware Canal State Park back north and entered back into NJ in Frenchtown.
D&L.jpg

Back to the road bike for a while.

1/21
1.5 hours- 1.5 points
Dark- 1 point
2 trail markers-2 points
Above added together = 4.5 points

Dunham Trail in Ridgewood runs along the Ho-Ho-Kus Brook and is across the Brook from the utility easement. The easement used to be a trolley line 100 year ago. If we do a local historic bonus, I will tell a story about what ultimately ended the trolly line. Of course it will not be as interesting as one of the @jimvreeland historic parodies😂.
The other trail marker, which looks more like a grave head stone is for the Goffle Brook trail in Hawthorn NJ. This trail runs along the Goffle Brook and is across from the freight train tracks.

758E861E-6BF2-4A59-882D-9350C8464B5F.png
2AB17FF3-DB62-4D8F-A409-8FDF08D342D2.jpeg
3A71547A-9E0F-4B5A-8CD9-7BF3FA128C52.png

Last edited:
Alright so I'm going to lazily learn how to work with APIs using strava but it I do it for bfi I'm cooking the fucking books. I will have penalties built into the calculation for people named rick and each one of my miles are worth 50. Lets see if I finish this before this is over.

1/2
Moving time: 1:57 (two rides) - 2 points
Bonus: Lights 1 Point
3 Points Total

After a few close calls with cars this summer I was beginning to loose interest with my Surly Straggler. I has originally bought it off eBay In May to cruise to my friends house as well as the coast line. After a month or so having it posted for sale in a few places there was no sale, not even on eBay. A fellow eBay user asked if it was a “Paul Camp” bike. I had no idea what that was, but low and behold it was! The seller noted it was used in one photo shoot and put away in a back room until I won the auction. I think I will hold onto it for a bit after looking what Paul Camp has evolved into. It rides pretty nice too.

https://strava.app.link/BjZtaxshJcbView attachment 147361

https://strava.app.link/aWqSQ8ShJcbView attachment 147362

View attachment 147364View attachment 147365
how do you like the stragler? nice combo color,is this your new whip?

Alright so I'm going to lazily learn how to work with APIs using strava but it I do it for bfi I'm cooking the fucking books. I will have penalties built into the calculation for people named rick and each one of my miles are worth 50. Lets see if I finish this before this is over.

it can't be very hard, probably need to apply for a token, and sign that you are using it for research and abide by their TOS -

From using some of the downstream stuff (veloviewer) - i know you can't circumvent their privacy stuff (ie make your own flyby)
and users have to opt in - they provide authentication.

another thing might be to create a collection of chrome extensions - i wrote a bookmarklet to do biyf a bunch of years back.

@teabagger11 Moon Lake! I haven't been there since the summer/visiting my dad but I do love that place.

Nice job @chemgirl getting in all those places in one shot.

@Soundguy I'm in Roxbury Tues-Friday and done by 2 pm if you ever want company at DM or Liffy Island.

I took yesterday off to do some hiking and domestic chores. I've always ridden past the Highlands Trail lookout at Mooch - but hiked out yesterday. Whoa. Very cool! Saw an eagle.

Kudos to everyone who keeps plugging along!

1/21
00:47 = No points
https://strava.app.link/HAhoTHC7edb
Don’t even care about the points. This was a sick rip. Brought a couple homies to get a tour of my locals from the locals that built it. Hot damn they cram some heavy hitting features in a 4 mile loop. Very excited to help build with them.

are you jesus? asking bc it looks like you can ride on water!

1/22
1:04 + dark + 2 markers
4 points

Did a little tour a of country parks this morning to get my remaining trail markers. The first is from Spring Lake Park in South Plainfield. Then I rode through Cedar Brook Park in Plainfield. Next up was Ponderosa Farm Park in Scotch Plains. I didn’t stay in there long enough for a picture as I roused a Country Cop who was parked in the back corner of the lot napping...errr.... doing paperwork. Went through Oak Ridge Park in Clark before heading back home. This completes the bonus for me.

20210122_122018000_iOS.png

20210122_105245761_iOS.jpg

20210122_110259002_iOS.jpg

20210122_113508499_iOS.jpg

1/22
2:09 plus dark plus 3 markers = 6
14 Yardley tow path mile marker
3E05C88C-0B4F-46B1-BD1B-1147C6C2E98D.jpeg

14.5 Lambertville tow path mile marker
248C7918-5AFF-43A7-A573-7D00049CF742.jpeg

Washington crossing green trail
B8376775-9046-40CD-BE27-C8329DA83A53.jpeg

the tow path south of lumberville was super rutted as it gets full sun during the day. The frozen ruts were bumpy and my k edge mount came loose. No problem, there is one of those repair stations on Bulls island, perfect. Get over there only to find the smallest Allen is a 4 and looks like I need a 2 or 2.5, fart noise. That just seems like a fail. Skipped some of the bumpy tow path to avoid it from falling off. Made it home on the bike.
FB57F801-70CA-4A50-84B6-9DE5473582FC.jpeg

Last edited:
1/21/21 1:00hr 1pt, Dark, 1pt, Found Trail Maker, 1pt, total 3pts.

While conveniently living near the towpath, I felt I was riding it too much, even though its a safe night time spot to ride, I needed a change of pace.. Last night I tried to figure a hills route, cause the only way you can get better at hills is not ride the towpath. Up Coppermine sounds like a great way to accomplish it.

IMG_3593.JPG

Have to do some more exploring of this open space.

IMG_3591.jpeg

1/21/21 1:00hr 1pt, Dark, 1pt, Found Trail Maker, 1pt, total 3pts.

While conveniently living near the towpath, I felt I was riding it too much, even though its a safe night time spot to ride, I needed a change of pace.. Last night I tried to figure a hills route, cause the only way you can get better at hills is not ride the towpath. Up Coppermine sounds like a great way to accomplish it.

View attachment 149559

Have to do some more exploring of this open space.

View attachment 149560
Coppermine is a great climb and is a bit unique as it has that kicker to start, which is good to work on recovering while keeping the pace up. Many of the hills around us ramp up at the end. I see you can down Old Georgetown, which is another good hill. You could descend or climb 518 if you wanted to add another climb up without doing a "repeat".

Herrontown Road from River Road, Mt Lucas Road from Princeton Ave are good low grade consistent efforts, not far from you for when you don't have time to hit the Sourlands...

1/22
2.5 points - 1:53 moving time...1.5 points, + 1 for dark bonus

stopped my garmin in my driveway and it read 1:57, but when uploaded to strava it read 1:53...by the time i noticed i was already in the house, and stripped of layers...it's ridiculous to even think that for a half point bonus, in a contest that's purely for fun, i actually thought about going back out and getting the extra two minutes...but i did think about it!

1/22
2:26 + dark = 3.5 points

Wanted to see what's at the end of the Middlesex Greenway. Looks like there's something there, but overgrown. Didn't feel like going through it so had to find another route.
IMG_20210122_095746.jpg

Haven't seen an S13 in a while, let alone one with this much work done. Floor mat is custom NISMO.
PXL_20210122_125819285.jpg

1/22
2:26 + dark = 3.5 points

Wanted to see what's at the end of the Middlesex Greenway. Looks like there's something there, but overgrown. Didn't feel like going through it so had to find another route.
View attachment 149566

Haven't seen an S13 in a while, let alone one with this much work done. Floor mat is custom NISMO.
View attachment 149567
the eastern end of the greenway can be hacked all the way through to perth amboy (maybe even further), but you are right...super overgrown, and also inhabited by some locals...not really worth the effort

Back
Top Bottom