bike wash in winter

Why would you use hose to clean your bike???? That's like stupid...

shower settings, soapy water, brush, 5 minutes to dirt free. coat chain.
it isn't a power wash, and it isn't a full detail...just something to knock the dirt off until the next ride.

were you suggesting something else?

how about a business supplying portable bike wash at the trailheads?
never mine, 'this is not the business you are looking for'

Trying to be smart buddy? Think before you post.

I don't think t would be rediculius to drop a trailer with water and soap and a few brushes at a trailhead for a quick rinse for $1 or so. Didn't flush out the numbers but it migh be viable. So I was being more flippant than smart.

Bu I really did want to know if you were serious about not using a hose on a bike. Since there was no smiley, figured you knew something.

I don't think t would be rediculius to drop a trailer with water and soap and a few brushes at a trailhead for a quick rinse for $1 or so. Didn't flush out the numbers but it migh be viable. So I was being more flippant than smart.

Bu I really did want to know if you were serious about not using a hose on a bike. Since there was no smiley, figured you knew something.

I think a portable power bike wash that heats the water and is rechargeable, and fits in a trunk would be awesome.

Why would you use hose to clean your bike???? That's like stupid...
I just hate cleaning much at all, in fact I'd be willing to give up scotch and beer for the week that the cleaners come. If it weren't for a quick hose job, I'd never wash my bikes. I'm guessing hosing on mist is better than nuttin. Also I think @fidodie might have directed that biz op to me. I'm also looking for a quick buck.

I just hate cleaning much at all, in fact I'd be willing to give up scotch and beer for the week that the cleaners come. If it weren't for a quick hose job, I'd never wash my bikes. I'm guessing hosing on mist is better than nuttin. Also I think @fidodie might have directed that biz op to me. I'm also looking for a quick buck.

fill container at home, air chamber that can be recharged with floor pump - about a gallon of water, plugs into usb/lighter to charge, holds water above 35.
medium brush, and enough spray rinse after being "brushed"

One of the benefits of washing your bike is that it gives you an opportunity to inspect your frame for cracks etc.

Used my two gallon garden sprayer, pressure wasn't quite enough but got rid of most where brushes can't clear. Toweled off afterwards and wasn't bad. One gallon may have been too small, used about 1.5 gallons. Definitely bringing it next time I'm out
WP_20160116_10_47_26_Pro.jpg

WP_20160116_11_04_31_Pro.jpg
WP_20160116_10_48_53_Pro.jpg

eh.... hoses are bad, mkay...
I use this stuff- http://www.amazon.com/SpinPower-Polish-Protectant-ounce-120ml/dp/B00HP8XH78
gotta clean the bike completely FIRST (no hose! gotta use elbow grease).. then hit everything (not your brakes or rotors!) with this stuff, let it sit for a beer or three, then polish it off to a sparkling finish!
Run your bike up to the shifters in mud, ride the shit out of it!
Let the mud and dirt dry, get yourself a soft brush, like one that comes with a dustpan, and sweep all the dry, dirty dirt off your bike like it wasn't even there!

you still need to clean you chain and lube it, but as far as cleaning the bike overall, I love this, and you're not forcing water into the bearings with za hose!

Was in a surf shop today and found this
View attachment 30319 View attachment 30320

$90 on amazon - (no doubt it will start cycling in my banner ads)
so rinse the board, and the feet/legs/salt when it is warm (i know we have cold weather surfing) is one thing.

think we could add heat, and pressurize with air...
two stage heating - one to keep from freezing, then one to bring it up to a temp you might actually want to touch.
get that 6MR red dust off the ride!

i'm not so sure about dislodging dirt "dry" - would you do that to your car?

I've seen garden sprayers used with good success after the Lewis Morris race. I think I remember seeing Pearl and/or Lou using one. After seeing them in action, I took a trip to Home Depot so I can also keep one in the trunk for some dirty rides and races. Maybe it was my luck getting a crappy model, but it didn't do shit for me. It was a model with 4 spray patterns. None of them provided enough pressure to do anything, even at way more pumps than recommended. Returned the sprayer the next day and went back to just hosing it off in the back yard, then drying it by hand with towels.

I've seen garden sprayers used with good success after the Lewis Morris race. I think I remember seeing Pearl and/or Lou using one. After seeing them in action, I took a trip to Home Depot so I can also keep one in the trunk for some dirty rides and races. Maybe it was my luck getting a crappy model, but it didn't do shit for me. It was a model with 4 spray patterns. None of them provided enough pressure to do anything, even at way more pumps than recommended. Returned the sprayer the next day and went back to just hosing it off in the back yard, then drying it by hand with towels.

I get this funny feeling you love returning stuff.

For basic wipe downs, I use a no rinse car wash I have for my car... but after riding the trails, I don't think anything can beat a nice hose down.

Back
Top Bottom