Beware the lyme!

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
i spray a LOT of heavy duty spray on me, plus i have the REPEL that you spray on all your equipment and clothing that last for a couple of weeks. even through washings. its good stuff. i havnt seen any on me so far.

JeffSpicoli

Not to sound like a dummy but how do the ticks get on you? They fall from the trees? Or climb on you when you end up hike a biking a long climb? Never found a tick on me, but then again; I hardly stop & always like to Pin It!:D

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
i usually just do a huge amount of OFF. you can smell me from across the lot. haha. and that repel stuff is great too for your cloths. go to your local outdoors store and look for stuff thats heavy duty.

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
I slog thru the forest at least every other day and over the last few decades I've probably had 20 of those rings in the pic and 2 ring necrosis's. Whenever some job or ins co. sends me to a physical I have every type of lyme,and at least 3 auto-immune disorders(and they're usually a different 3 each time). Doctor before last said i should be dead.YOUR MEDICAL COMMUNITY ARE FN MORONS!! I'm perfectly fine, they just want to push drugs and siphon your ins. They're freakin bugs, not cancer with legs...........

warcricket

Like a Jerk
Not to sound like a dummy but how do the ticks get on you? They fall from the trees? Or climb on you when you end up hike a biking a long climb? Never found a tick on me, but then again; I hardly stop & always like to Pin It!:D

high grass is the worst, they cling to you as you ride through.

Last edited:

ellbiddy

So I finally got the bloodwork back and tested positive....so I'm about halfway on my doxy cycle hopefully it works out for the best.

As for those of you using "off" in huge quantities, I'd think twice. Most of those so called tick repellents use DEET (N,N-Diethyl-meta-toluamide for you chem nerds) spray it all over your skin and what not but it only works while evaporating so I'd advise using it only on your clothes (so long as they aren't synthetic as it damages certain types of fibres). It's not EPA certified and has shown toxicity in humans, even some rare cases of causing seizures.

And I quote:

The Pesticide Information Project of Cooperative Extension Offices of Cornell University states that "Everglades National Park employees having extensive Deet exposure were more likely to have insomnia, mood disturbances and impaired cognitive function than were lesser exposed co-workers".

Now lyme sucks and no one wants it, but using stuff like DEET is questionable since it's MAINLY a mosquito repellent and works only so-so on protecting against ticks unless you take a bath in the stuff which I wouldn't recommended. It gets absorbed in your skin so I'd use it sparingly if at all. I've become really paranoid about ticks as of late so I ride early in the morning or late at night and wear long running pants (tight fitting). I look like more of an ass, but I can now assure there are no ticks on my legs. I also try and wear a tight fitting undershirt so that the only areas I check are below the ankle and my arms. It's been working great, I've been pulling off on average of 2-3 ticks a ride from my pants I usually pedal fast and keep moving but they still make it on. I used to roll around in the woods as a kid with no worries of ticks and never had a problem till now.

Also those with kids be careful, I have a coworker who's 5 year old had a tick from a picnic trip and ended up on cephalosporins because the tick tested positive for lyme (they tested the tick instead of the kid). The complications of untreated lyme are pretty severe and the prognosis for early antibiotic treatment is good so don't scoff it off like it can't happen to you, better safe than sorry :)

lmckee

I got lyme when I was a kid, this was a long time ago. From what I remember I took some antibiotics for a short period of time and went to the doctor once a week for a few weeks. After that I've never done any sort of other treatment or followup. Maybe I should go see a doctor.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
taking a shower after a ride usually gets rid of them...
...unless they are already attached.

Which is what happened to me this evening. Rode Allaire this afternoon, did my usual parking lot strip-down and wipe-off, got in the car, drove 25 minutes to the local supermarket for a few things, then home. In the shower 10 minutes later, and I notice a dark spot on the front of my thigh, about 8 inches above my knee.

Sure enough, the bugger was attached, but not very engorged, if at all. He couldn't have been on me for very long. Finished showering, got the tweezers, pulled him off as close to the skin as I could, and in a bottle he went.

I guess now I wait and see?

xc62701

I had an issue with this earlier in the season as well. Those buggers just hang onto plants and just latch onto you as you come by. From what I've read they don't jump but their front arms/legs catch onto stuff easily. The one I had the doc said that you need to have it embedded for 24 hours so not to worry. I was put on antibiotics for it just in case though. Just a pill for a couple of days. No worries.

sixseven

If you use that chemical stuff you are asking for trouble. Cancer, testicular atrophy, ED, sleeplessness etc. Leave the sprays on the store shelf. Make like a baboon and have your mate do a check over the areas that you cant see and check what you can yourself. It will be fun and you wont get ED or shriveled grape sack. All that shit does is perpetuate the manufacture of more shit AND it is a health hazard whether its on you when you ride or on your car seats a month later or in the ground a year later.
Eventually it ends up somewhere: food, water, air.
Its a health hazard to the ticks too but thats another matter! :p

Last edited:

ellbiddy

I had an issue with this earlier in the season as well. Those buggers just hang onto plants and just latch onto you as you come by. From what I've read they don't jump but their front arms/legs catch onto stuff easily. The one I had the doc said that you need to have it embedded for 24 hours so not to worry. I was put on antibiotics for it just in case though. Just a pill for a couple of days. No worries.

That's only true if you don't agitate it, if you start trying to remove it the natural response of the tick is to "vomit" and detach. It's the vomiting stage in which the bacteria is transferred which is why things like using vasoline to remove it through suffocation and ripping off the body are bad ideas. As for knowing if it had lyme or not you can always get the tick tested since a titer won't show anything anywhere from 1 to 4 weeks after it attached, some people never even get the typical rash.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
That's only true if you don't agitate it, if you start trying to remove it the natural response of the tick is to "vomit" and detach. It's the vomiting stage in which the bacteria is transferred which is why things like using vasoline to remove it through suffocation and ripping off the body are bad ideas. As for knowing if it had lyme or not you can always get the tick tested since a titer won't show anything anywhere from 1 to 4 weeks after it attached, some people never even get the typical rash.
I removed it with tweezers, grasping as close to the head as possible. It was still alive after I pulled it off, so I didn't detach its head.

According to everything I've read online, removing it so early following its attachment is significantly in my favor.

Very few websites mention the usefulness of having the removed tick tested; I think the CDC or NIH alluded to testing the tick as not being a reliable indicator.

As of this AM, I can't even see the exact spot where it was attached, so I'll be keeping an eye on the general area and taking it from there.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
I slog thru the forest at least every other day and over the last few decades I've probably had 20 of those rings in the pic and 2 ring necrosis's. Whenever some job or ins co. sends me to a physical I have every type of lyme,and at least 3 auto-immune disorders(and they're usually a different 3 each time). Doctor before last said i should be dead.YOUR MEDICAL COMMUNITY ARE FN MORONS!! I'm perfectly fine, they just want to push drugs and siphon your ins. They're freakin bugs, not cancer with legs...........

What are you 15? We may live in an over-medicated world, but auto-immune disorders are dead serious and people die from them. You may be able to fight off these things on your own, but not everyone can.

Panhead

Once again I find myself agreeing with you, Brett. How many times do you hear of someone getting multiple scripts for something simple. The US cancer rate is through the roof and bacteria are now resistant to most antibiotics. Stay away from doctors and lawyers and life will be great.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Once again I find myself agreeing with you, Brett. How many times do you hear of someone getting multiple scripts for something simple. The US cancer rate is through the roof and bacteria are now resistant to most antibiotics. Stay away from doctors and lawyers and life will be great.

On a related note I am going into both law and medicine.

walter

Fourth Party
I'll still ride with you. Then after the rigid Rig bashes me you could put me together and I'll hire you to sue myself for riding it.

I would like to be on this ride so I could then sue Panhead for emotional stress, PTSD, etc. I will then need Justin to write me scripts to make me happy and to get me to sleep.

Top Bottom