Autumn Leaves

anrothar

entirely thrilled
post up some of your fall foliage shots from this year. i've been bringing a camera with me quite a bit so far this fall, and have a small collection.

1811407798_26fdd39314.jpg

1811408254_1134c495f8.jpg

1811408686_74750b108f.jpg

1811409202_088e8b2441.jpg

1810564587_bde22e01cd.jpg

anrothar

entirely thrilled
the bottom ones are from two weeks ago. only the first 7 i think are from today. there was no early frost, which is what generally makes the leaves hold their sugar and turn all those briliant colors. overall, it's been a comparatively dull autumn. that mid-october warm spell didn't exaclty help it along either though.

walter

Fourth Party
Awesome job!!!!! Not only can you bunny hop fallen Californian Oaks, suggest incredible beers, and give great accounts of riding a bicycle across the US and then into Mexico, your photography is top notch. Thanks for all the great shots.

Hopefully next time we ride you can loop back and take a shot of me throwing up, trying to keep up. Then I want a second shot of me throwing up from post ride adult sodas:D

:) Great photos Anrothar, you've got an eye for composition.

:( I'm missing my manual 35mm single-lens reflex cameras that I've used for about the past 30 years. I bought myself a small digital camera over the summer and am still figuring out how to do more than simple snapshots with it. I'm having a hard time getting accustomed to all this digital-ness :eek: . I'm still figuring out how to download the images onto my laptop, let alone post any.

I took it out with me at Hartshorne and Clayton, but the leaves were still green and yellow.

What kind of camera do you use if you don't mind my asking?

anrothar

entirely thrilled
all digital. my preferred camera is my sony dsc s-75, which has a full 'manual' mode. it's non-slr, but has a zeiss lens and takes some really great shots. the one i took all of those with, and that i normally take on my rides is a kodak easyshare c433. it cost me $130 when the charger for the sony blew up in ireland. it's a little tougher to get the same quality as i can with the sony, but it's soooo much more portable due to the size.

sign up for an account at flickr.com , you'll have loads of space, and it's really easy to upload your photos. you are limited as to the size they can be once uploaded, but it's great for posting them on websites.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
c'mon people! i know some of you have some shots with some color in them from this year!! last year? ten years ago?

two more, both proof that you don't have to go very far. beauty is all around you:

behind the dpw garage at work today.
1816376920_77c8c0d80c.jpg

out the front door this afternoon when i got home from work.
1816377428_7abf4ac2f2.jpg

from several years ago on the narrows hike in zion national park:

1818634716_7eb31deb17.jpg

1038153885_eba23e536d.jpg

Last edited:

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Great shots Sean. Behind the DPW looks to be a pretty special place. The blue/orange reflection shot has some awesome colors too. Thanks for posting.

Here's some leaves from a few weeks back, when I took me mom for a hike at Ringwood.

Attachments

• leaves.JPG
    leaves.JPG
    184.8 KB · Views: 19

anrothar

entirely thrilled
Maybe I'll break out the DSLR this weekend and get some good shots.

do it. alot of the west facing slopes will be prime this weekend. lot's of color right now from the late changing maples and oaks as well.

behind the dpw garage is mahlon and mt paul seminary. thousands and thousands of acres of rocky woodlands.... i'm a bit spoiled.

SpartaBard

pics

Hey, I am cheating a bit, these are actually from last fall. The first three pics are from Rykers Pond in Sparta Mtn WMA, and the last pic is from High Point SP.

I guess I could have kept them a bit bigger. oh well.

Attachments

• IMG_7937.jpg
    IMG_7937.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7939.jpg
    IMG_7939.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7945.jpg
    IMG_7945.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7947.jpg
    IMG_7947.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 14
all digital. my preferred camera is my sony dsc s-75, which has a full 'manual' mode. it's non-slr, but has a zeiss lens and takes some really great shots. the one i took all of those with, and that i normally take on my rides is a kodak easyshare c433. it cost me $130 when the charger for the sony blew up in ireland. it's a little tougher to get the same quality as i can with the sony, but it's soooo much more portable due to the size.

sign up for an account at flickr.com , you'll have loads of space, and it's really easy to upload your photos. you are limited as to the size they can be once uploaded, but it's great for posting them on websites.

I'm totally impressed with what you can do with the Kodak. Do you keep it set on Auto, or do you use landscape, close-up, etc. settings?

I've got a Canon PowerShot A560. I've been experimenting with all the different settings, flash/no flash, and playing around with the manual mode and the diff ISO speeds. One thing I don't like is the 'lag' time between shots. I've also taken a few shots of MTBers passing on the trail but they came out blurry. I'm not sure if I can change the 'shutter' speed like my old SLRs.

It does have a half-way decent video setting though. And this summer I managed to get a still shot of a bolt of lightening one night - but I end up with blurry MTBers. Go figure.

That self-portrait while riding on the Oct. 28th ride is classic! I hope you keep posting your photos throughout the winter for those of us who don't get out in the cold weather. :)

anrothar

entirely thrilled
thanks. i usually just put it directly to automatic, but for folliage shots i've been using landscape or close up. i try to remember to turn the flash off as much as possible. it's tough to find a situation where the flash on a $130 camera will add really good lighting to a photo. great for candid shots and fun shots, not for when you're trying to get all artsy fartsy... they also ruin mtb photos because someone always has something reflective on.

in manual mode, if it's a decent one, you should be able to adjust both shutter speed and f-stops. focus as well. my sony let's me do that. i definitely feel limited with the point and shoot. after it figures out what setting it wants to be at, i can adjust it 4 clicks darker or brighter, but that's it. every digital i've ever used has a delay from pressing the button to taking the picture. you just have to plan ahead and time it right. press the button about half a second before you want the shot.

as for blurry action shots, the greater the angle the riders are to you(riding toward you or away from), the better the shot will come out. moving at speed for a 'perpendicular' shot will almost always lead to a blurry shot for me with an automatic, unless it's really bright out. with a manual, you can drop the f-stops super low and use the shortest exposure possible to capture those kind of shots, if your camera can handle it. otherwise, if you really want that shot, either the rider or the background will be blurry. try focusing on the rider as they approach and following them with the camera as you take the picture.

pinkshirtphotos

when shooting bikers try panning with the rider (moving the camera lens same speed as said rider) also with non slr cameras increasing your iso (asa or film speed) will give you a lot of noise. I shoot with a nikon d40 and there is not much difference between iso 200 and 400 in image quality, but with my kodak digital point and shoot there is. if you are having problems taking good riding picture i am available for hire :getsome:

Shaggz

A strong 7
sean, awesome shots, all around! was the last shot from the "narrows"? i have a couple from my trip i will post up this weekend.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
jim, on the reply page, at the top of the reply box, you'll see a little square with a mountain and a yellow sky. that's the upload photo icon. click it and do as it says.

steve, yep, narrows both. anyone that's done the hike from the top should recognize that fall, as you have to either scramble around it or jump off it. or both...

Top Bottom