asthma

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Is anybody else dealing with asthma? Between that and allergies, breathing is tough going.
I have all the pills, nasal sprays, inhalers, etc that I need. (Singular, allegra, intal, flonase, the list goes on.....and on.....and on......)

Does anybody have any tips or tricks that may help me get through this nasty season?

Is anybody else dealing with asthma? Between that and allergies, breathing is tough going.
I have all the pills, nasal sprays, inhalers, etc that I need. (Singular, allegra, intal, flonase, the list goes on.....and on.....and on......)

Does anybody have any tips or tricks that may help me get through this nasty season?

Ping Anrothar...if there are any tips or tricks, he'll have 'em...

im a big time allergy sufferer at this time of the year. veramyst and nasonex have treated me well. veramyst was great and i had no side effects. i was ready to go as soon as i started taking that. my body took a little bit longer to get used to the nasonex, but it worked.

cant help you with the asthma.

I also have asthma and allergies and Advair and Proventil have helped out alot. This time of the year and the start of winter are the worst for me. If it wasn't for my meds I would never be able to keep up :D

Val

For some reason, I have been OK so far, both on and off the bike. Last spring was brutal.

Three things that really help:

1. Keep the house windows close;
2: Shower/rinse off before bed;
3: Change pillow cases often

I've been taking Allegra D for the allergies. Nothing for asthma...doesnt really bother me much, although it really did this past weekend at 6MR...but i was chalking that up to not being prepared to ride that day, and not being properly nurished.

Though I seem to have had it most of my life I was only recently diagnosed with asthma and EIA two years ago. I'm supposed to use QVAR inhaler daily but forget to, a lot, and I have Albuterol for an emergency inhaler.

As for tricks, I find a gradual and steady warm up eases the airway into the job while a jump from the gate with no warm up is a bad move. And since I'm not used to this whole asthma thing sometimes I get pretty bad before I realize what's going on. Today, I was practically panting and thinking I was working the hill real well and the rest of my group effortlessly passed me. WTF? I honesty didn't realize what was up until we stopped at the top and I started coughing. I used the inhaler I was lucky to have shoved in my Jersey and suddenly I could really breathe. Funny how you don't know what you're missing until you get what you didn't have.

Don't climb so many hills!!!! I have found MTB is worse for my Exercise Induced Asthma than road biking, because it works your lungs differently.

All the medications I take hasn't really helped me MTB.

A squirt of Albuterol before hand does help me on my road bike though.

allergies stink

have you ever checked into taking Bee Polleen/royal jelly (like honey) for allergy/asthma? It has worked for many. It comes in granuls, liquid or pill form. You can mix it in granola, yogurt or a protien type shake. Dont forget to eat honey when you can...

Another great product for asthma or allegies is Querticin...get from a health food store..take it with lots of ester C (vitamin C) it is a natural anti histamine...and works wonders!!!

Also, Yerba Mate tea. It actually contains Theophylline....a bronchodilator (such as Slo-Bid...I remember taking that as a kid)

I dunno too much about asthma but my wife suffers from allergies in a bad way, a few years ago she read that eating locally harvested honey can help ease these symptoms...since then she goes to the local farmers market to buy "local honey" and it has helped her tremendously

I also have asthma and allergies, sucks I take Z stuff® and a asthma pump this year is bad...

Last edited:
Wow this is crazy! I just started taking albuterol for Exercise Induced Asthma . I'd get to the point where I couldn't breathe and cough like crazy a half hour or so while riding. I've never had any breathing problems at all. Plus I've never smoked either .My doctor has me taking a "puff" a half hour before going riding. It helps open your lungs up. My doctor said it's quite common.

it's a bad allergy season "says the doc" this year.

I was sick the whole month of April due to a nasty wheezing cough. Couldn't take a deep breath and got winded climbing stairs. I always get a sinuous infection this time of the year, but this year it settled in the chest.

Got X-rays (came back normal) took 5-750mg Levaquin, Prednisone shot, Nebi treatments, Prednison pills, w/daily Claritin and nothing worked. Finally week 4 my doc's last resort before sending me to a lung spec he prescribed Singulair and Advair combo with ProAir Albuterol 2x 4/day and this wiped it out within 24-48 hours. This was right before the SSAP race. Off the bike for the whole time and it showed :cool:
Still taking the Advair/Singulair till it runs out. Both are 1mth supply.

Good luck.

This has been a very bad year for those with allergies and medication can definitely help with symptoms. Just remember that asthma is potentially very serious and if you are having trouble breathing before a hard ride or race you are asking for trouble! In other words go see the doc and take it easy, there will be other races.

If you suffer from some form of exercise induced asthma as I do there are things you can do to make it go away.
1) Make sure you take an antihistamine and albuterol before you start to warm up.
2) Get a decent warm up, which means at least 30-40 minutes with a gradual effort to get things moving. DO NOT try and hit the hills hard straight away.
Do 10-15 min at a nice easy pace followed by a 5 min threshold effort. Then another 5 min at a steady pace. follow this with 3x1 minutes as hard as you can go with 1-2 minutes easy in between. Finish up with a 10 minute cool down at a steady pace to keep loose before the start.
If you warm up properly you should find the sudden hard efforts are less of a shock to your lungs and they won't go into spasm which is what happens if you start coughing following a hard effort.

Again, this works for me but if your asthma is bad get medical help!

I dunno too much about asthma but my wife suffers from allergies in a bad way, a few years ago she read that eating locally harvested honey can help ease these symptoms...since then she goes to the local farmers market to buy "local honey" and it has helped her tremendously

I've been doing that for the past couple of years. Even it means spending more. Supposedly, your body builds the tolerance for the local pollen.

The most local honey for me, is through syncroscat (she's about 2 towns south west from me).

that A word

I too suffer from Asthma and Allergies, as a kid i was diagnosed with allergies(sever multiple allergies) and i cought asthma 15 years ago.(athletic enduced Asthma).. Up until last year i was on albuterol until they discontinued it and now i am on pro-air HAFA and singular tablets, seems to help better in opening up the airway. I know that if i get set to ride, i cant jump right out of the gate and pedal hard and fast, i have to ease into my ride for like 30-40 minutes. I usually take a puff before i set off and a puff if needed during the ride.
For my allergies i am now taking nasonex and flonase.. both seem to help and i try to limit myself to only one so that i dont become addicted to both and have them work agaisnt me. I also use a netti pot to help keep the nasal cavity clean, and like others have mentioned i change my pillow casses weekly, plus keeping the home free of dust helps too. closed windows during pollen season and air on. I wash the truck off when i can see a yellow film of pollen and its been almost everyday for the last three weeks. At night for my worst allegies i take Benedryl and it seems to help.

forgot to add this too, when i was dieting and lost the 40lbs, it seemed that my asthma had gone away, i wasnt using my inhaler as much, i used to use it everyday like 3-5 times, during my dieting and exercise i was using it like twice a week...

hope this helps..
Mike

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom