Ask an automobile mechanic.

Any guess what Honda uses? I did notice that transporting the dismounted wheel for service, the TPMS initially sensed the wheel, but minutes into driving it errored-out.
Just dealing with TPMS issues with my wife’s civic, if I have it correctly, they used wheel sensors until 2012-13

I just replaced the DRL/Hi-beams bulbs on my daily driver with LEDs (9005). Now the DRL won't come on but the hi-beams work. The original bulbs were halogens. Do I need to go back to halogens to get the DRLs to work or is there a special kind of LED bulbs I need to get to perform both functions? Or maybe go to HIDs? I have another vehicle that has the same DRL/Hi-beams combo using halogens I want to upgrade but need to sort this out first.
Some cars have a separate DRL bulb, others send less power to the regular bulbs. LED's and HID's will have a tough time with the lower power and usually just won't ignite. I've seen some kits you can buy, not sure if car specific but likely, that probably trick them into sending full power. Or just always have your headlights on, though not sure that would be an issue with inspection if DRL are required by law. Not sure on that one.

Just dealing with TPMS issues with my wife’s civic, if I have it correctly, they used wheel sensors until 2012-13

can confirm; at least on inherited '09 CRV, TPMS will illuminate for both under- and over-pressure. Never saw that before; I was like, WTF, plenty of pressure all 4.....

I just replaced the DRL/Hi-beams bulbs on my daily driver with LEDs (9005). Now the DRL won't come on but the hi-beams work. The original bulbs were halogens. Do I need to go back to halogens to get the DRLs to work or is there a special kind of LED bulbs I need to get to perform both functions? Or maybe go to HIDs? I have another vehicle that has the same DRL/Hi-beams combo using halogens I want to upgrade but need to sort this out first.

DRL in a shared bulb is a low voltage signal, not enough to trigger the LED to illuminate. AFAIK they are not required in NJ (my 22 doesnt have them) so if it were me i would just run without them, no harm/no foul

EDIT: @Magic beat me to it . . ..

oil drain plug replacement for my Mustang, 2019 Coyote.
Car comes with a plastic plug with an O ring on it , I see I can get an aluminum one for 5 times the price.
the plastic ones should be replaced at every oil change so says Ford, but not all oil change places do that.
The Ford dealer I bought the car at offers cheap oil changes at their quick lube center next to the dealership.
so I pay $58 for an oil change with filter, but they don't adhere to Fords rule of changing the plug, they reuse the old one.
The dealer themselves charge $220 for their oil change and filter that includes a new plug.
My last oil change was 700 miles ago and today the old plug was leaking. went back to the lube place and they replaced the plug with a new one.
only charging me $10 for the new plug. Think I should get the aluminum one which lasts, or keep getting cheap plastic replacements?

Last edited:
oil drain plug replacement for my Mustang, 2019 Coyote.
Car comes with a plastic plug with an O ring on it , I see I can get an aluminum one for 5 times the price.
the plastic ones should be replaced at every oil change so says Ford, but not all oil change places do that.
The Ford dealer I bought the car at offers cheap oil changes at their quick lube center next to the dealership.
so I pay $58 for an oil change with filter, but they don't adhere to Fords rule of changing the plug, they reuse the old one.
The dealer themselves charge $220 for their oil change and filter that includes a new plug.
My last oil change was 700 miles ago and today the old plug was leaking. went back to the lube place and they replaced the plug with a new one.
only charging me $10 for the new plug. Thing I should get the aluminum one which lasts, or keep getting cheap plastic replacements?

is the oil pan plastic? the nut may be made to fail before the pan, cause the tech doesn't make that much either........

@Johnny Utah hey you Jeepers what do you think about the underside condition of this 130k mile JKUR? All other aspects look pretty good except for the very hard to open passenger rear door. I probably should pass unless I negotiate hard based on this underside but opinions are appreciated.
980F63FD-ED49-49B0-BF4C-2C9BB2E36AE4.jpegF4780C1E-833F-4D54-AF85-1733C296441D.jpegF1B6AFFE-8CFD-4A89-9D12-7CC6AF9F74B6.jpeg1D405EFD-08A4-43A7-9D8B-2A209E947BAC.jpegFB1D8711-5798-41AF-AD0C-01374516E6A6.jpeg422EE854-3D0E-4472-91A2-FB9AD346503E.jpegB38065B0-3374-4FA5-83CA-AAACF950BEE7.jpeg

@Johnny Utah hey you Jeepers what do you think about the underside condition of this 130k mile JKUR? All other aspects look pretty good except for the very hard to open passenger rear door. I probably should pass unless I negotiate hard based on this underside but opinions are appreciated.
View attachment 207366View attachment 207367View attachment 207368View attachment 207369View attachment 207370View attachment 207371View attachment 207372
It doesn't look tooooo bad ....but I really depends on the asking price

@skully
2012 JKUR, 130k miles, 6 speed manual - $18,000. I think the asking is fair but I'm not in a rush. Hard to come by a decent Rubicon with fair price. Yea, the rails are good just that rusted fuel cover (which is normal) and those shocks look meh

View attachment 207366View attachment 207367View attachment 207368View attachment 207369View attachment 207370View attachment 207371View attachment 207372
So that has had a couple of trips out on the rocks, I can tell by the bent brackets. In addition, the surface rust tells me it has visited the Pine Barrens/Stag Hill or something similar multiple times then was not washed. It will probably be fine for years, but we are starting to see Jeeps that had that kind of use have frame rot from the inside out. Sand/mud gets trapped in the frame and then holds moisture - this causes frame rot. I have several buddies that fix this issue on multiple Jeeps a month, but they are just starting to see JK’s vs the usual lineup of TJ’s & LJ’s.

Depending on what you are looking to do you should be able to get a better deal on that vs a clean JKUR given the underside. Also, if you can look for one with a 3.6 instead of a 3.8 - much more power. If you buy a 2012 check to see the head has already been warrantied as the 2012s had head issues.

Rear door could be internal linkage, or a touch of a tweak from lots of flexing or a tough hit. No biggie once you are used to it.

Rubicon is a nice place to start for a 35-37” tire build. They are very capable off the lot - a new one is now in the $70-$80k range last time I was on the lot. I think my next build will be a JKU on Dana 60’s and 40’s set up to cruise/camp the US. They are a great platform, especially for family wheeling.

Let us know what you do!

Ditto what Jonny Utah said , only thing I would add is we see many door issues from the external hinges binding due to corrosion.....only fix is to replace the hinges....this is a pretty easy fix but it can be time consuming

Reactions: don
Thanks guys. Over the last few years I’ve looked at 5 or so wranglers so apparently I want one but they aren’t in the shape I would like. Again, I’ll hold off on this one but I’ll offer something low to fish the seller along. If they bite then we will have problems at this house haha

-so can a wrangler in this shape be cleaned up and get a rust treatment on the surface and inside rails?
-I’m looking at 2012 and newer because of the interior refresh but interesting you say about the 3.8 and it would be mostly for road use.
-thanks about the head issue! My research says if it was bad it would have happened already and that later 2012s had the problem fixed? I’ll look the the door sticker from now on for production date

I’m also interested in the Rubicons because of the higher tow rating. I would get a Gladiator to replace my pickup but it (wrangler or gladiator) would mostly sit so not worth the money.

My kid's 2015 Tiguan seemed to have died at the school lot. Figured it was the battery so went to give it a jump. No luck as it wouldn't hold charge and being the battery was over 5 years old, replaced. Afterwards still no luck, hear the starter ignition but won't kick over. Saw a low oil pressure indicator after a few tries and upon checking the oil, see it was very low. Luckily had a quart in my car but after adding the quart, still no success and dip stick still shows low. Going home to get more Mobile1 and hope the engine is not seized. The kid got to school fine, just wouldn't start when ready to leave. Anyone aware if VWs prevent starting if oil levels are very low?

My kid's 2015 Tiguan seemed to have died at the school lot. Figured it was the battery so went to give it a jump. No luck as it wouldn't hold charge and being the battery was over 5 years old, replaced. Afterwards still no luck, hear the starter ignition but won't kick over. Saw a low oil pressure indicator after a few tries and upon checking the oil, see it was very low. Luckily had a quart in my car but after adding the quart, still no success and dip stick still shows low. Going home to get more Mobile1 and hope the engine is not seized. The kid got to school fine, just wouldn't start when ready to leave. Anyone aware if VWs prevent starting if oil levels are very low?
So it cranks but no start? How many miles? Turn the key to the “on” position, do you hear the in-tank lift pump priming (underneath the back seat)? Do you have a generic code reader? Won’t be as helpful as VCDS but could be a start

If the pump checks out, I recommend scanning it. Happy to stop by if you’re local-ish. My bet is crank sensor - had a similar intermittent issue on my GF’s Tiguan.

Last edited:
So it cranks but no start? How many miles? Turn the key to the “on” position, do you hear the in-tank lift pump priming (underneath the back seat)? Do you have a generic code reader? Won’t be as helpful as VCDS but could be a start

If the pump checks out, I recommend scanning it. Happy to stop by if you’re local-ish. My bet is crank sensor - had a similar intermittent issue on my GF’s Tiguan.
Yes, cranks but no start. Just under 100k. No reader but seems like an investment soon. I do hear a lifting sound in the back. Thanks for the offer but too far out west for you. Recently had the engine harness replaced so this will be another dent in the bills...

Bad news for the kid, mechanic checked the compression and found it low. Thinks the engine needing replacing. Anyone know a good VW shop near the North Plainfield area for a second opinion? A few I called are quoting $4k-5k for a used motor with 100k miles and another $1500-2k for labor.

Bad news for the kid, mechanic checked the compression and found it low. Thinks the engine needing replacing. Anyone know a good VW shop near the North Plainfield area for a second opinion? A few I called are quoting $4k-5k for a used motor with 100k miles and another $1500-2k for labor.
Wow. That seems like a big leap. Compression is how low and in how many cyl? Any cracks: head or block? Why not rebuild the current motor? I would buy a code scanner, scan the codes before spending $6K+; code scanners are handy even if this motor is toast. Depending on where you are located, you can borrow my code reader (north jersey). You may also be better off buying him some cheap transportation and write this off if the motor is terminal. Good luck!

One last thought, check the coolant overflow tank. Does it look like chocolate milk (like oil is mixing with the coolant)? If the car has a blown head gasket, that could account for low oil at the dipstick and low compression. Many theories.

Last edited:

this is bs - the car doesn't go from running ok to not being able to start w/dx it is the motor unless something catastrophic -
which usually doesn't happen after it is turned off unless it seized - which it didn't.

even a cracked block will backfire or make some sort of explosion in a good cylinder.

you had a dead battery as the initial symptom ???
unhook the battery cable for a night, then reconnect the next day on a full charge.
(i'm stabbing blind - but something is up)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom