As I Grow Older....

Mike679

So recent years have seen my time mountain biking steadily decline. From 1996 through around 2006 I only rode in the woods, usually 1-2 times a week and did some indoor miles on the trainer, mostly during the winter months. Never even entertained riding on pavement until I started riding the mtb on the road w/ slicks in 2007 maybe once a month, didn't love it, but at least I was riding.

Got a road bike last year - now it's pretty much all I ride. Only three rides on the mountain bike this year so far. Now, I understand why this is the case. With work, kids and their activities, and just the overall convenience of road biking, especially in my neck of the woods, it makes sense in terms of fitting cycling into the schedule. What I'm finding a bit disconcerting, however, is that mountain biking seems to be losing some of the appeal it had for me just a couple of years ago. With summer coming up and things hopefully mellowing out a bit, I'm hoping to be riding the mtb more than the road, but the convenience is too much to pass up sometimes.

Anyone else experience this phenomenon?

Don't you have any good local trails there?

I live close to the Tourne in Boonton Township and if I have a limited amount of time I just hop on my mountain bike and do a few loops there. If I want a tough workout I ride up to the overlook when I get there (I only ride single speed so the climb up is really hard, close to a max effort just to make it up) and then do a loop or two. It's difficult for me to get as intense of a workout on the road as doing this climb. The other advantage to this is if I'm forced to head out at rush hour I don't have to deal with traffic except for the short ride there and back.

The other thing that makes this so easy is I ride in the same clothes (when it's warm) and shoes that I wear all the time so I just pop on my helmet and gloves a hop on the bike. The hardest part of my pre-ride routine is to fill my water bottle.

I find that being able to just hop on the bike and go makes it more likely I'll ride almost every day. It even makes it worthwhile to ride the bike if it's just for a couple of minutes.

BTW, I rarely drive my car to a ride, maybe once a month.

Don't you have any good local trails there?

There's some local stuff off of Columbia Trail, but really nothing too special. I don't mind loading my bike and associated shit on/in the car, especially w/ Allamuchy only being a 25 minute ride. One of these days I'll take a spin down to the new trails in High Bridge, though. When I'm not road biking, of course.

you are not getting older Mare...

Mare, Mike, it's all the same......

I've been riding both for 20 years but some years have been all road due to the convenience and for a time there was a lot of trail closures and grumpy hikers. Doesn't seem to be the case anymore. Nothing like jumping out your front door and riding instantly. Road bikes also require far less maintenance. Almost none. There are downsides. Cars, cars and cars. You're far less likely to crash but if you do guaranteed it will be bad.

You'll be back - it just might take a while. The Allamuchy areas and Lewis Morris are both close to you. There's something about MTBing that's just a lot more fun. My general goal now is to MTB in the spring and fall when it's dry and the bugs are under control and use the road bike when it's wet and in the summer. Ski in the winter.

As I Grow Older....Anyone else experience this phenomenon?

I have, for sure!

For me it's a combination of old age, worn out body parts, owning a house, being married, and having a demanding job. I think it's called life on life's terms.

I've been riding recreationally for over thirty years but only became "hardcore" around the time of the first JORBA Fest.

Cycling had been extrememely therapeautic for me during a major transitional life experience, and MTBing was and is my passion; there's nothing like it.

However, now because of the blessings I mention above I spend more time on the road bike and often that is incorporated into commuting to work because that is sometimes the best and only opportunity for me.

Unfortunately, I find that now at beyond the three hour mark of riding trails, my old back and knees start to resist and I suffer for two weeks afterwards.

Also, I agree with the having less tolerance for the heat/humidity in the woods during the summer.

I guess it's a matter of evolving and adapting. As long as I'm on two wheels that move under my own power and can escape for a while, I'm good. To paraphrase the most interesting man in the world; I don't always ride a bicycle, but when I do, it's one or the other"

So recent years have seen my time mountain biking steadily decline. From 1996 through around 2006 I only rode in the woods, usually 1-2 times a week and did some indoor miles on the trainer, mostly during the winter months. Never even entertained riding on pavement until I started riding the mtb on the road w/ slicks in 2007 maybe once a month, didn't love it, but at least I was riding.

Got a road bike last year - now it's pretty much all I ride. Only three rides on the mountain bike this year so far. Now, I understand why this is the case. With work, kids and their activities, and just the overall convenience of road biking, especially in my neck of the woods, it makes sense in terms of fitting cycling into the schedule. What I'm finding a bit disconcerting, however, is that mountain biking seems to be losing some of the appeal it had for me just a couple of years ago. With summer coming up and things hopefully mellowing out a bit, I'm hoping to be riding the mtb more than the road, but the convenience is too much to pass up sometimes.

Anyone else experience this phenomenon?

I have a gun if you want to shoot yourself before you become a full roadie

I've had a very similar transition. At this point I'm lucky to get any time on the bike at all. Last year I rode mostly roads, only got out on the mtb a handful of times.

Out of curiosity, where are those new trails in High Bridge?

Tim, Brad & I were discussing this during our road ride yesterday. The trend seems to be that people spend more time on the road to prep for mtb racing. Just look at all of the orange and blue roadie pricks on the NJ streets.

Me, I don't race so I can not use that excuse.

Interesting, as I continue to recover from tick bite and adverse reaction to antibiotics, I have spent more time on the road than on the trails. It also doesn't help that we've not had the best weather lately either.

I'm 54, and I still find riding on the road to be just as annoying as it was when I was in my 30s. Riding on eastern Monmouth County roads, I experience at least one infuriating incident per ride. Hence, I rarely ride the road.

My work/family life allows me to hit the woods regularly. If I get bored, I'll hit a different park. Or buy a new bike ;).

Kids, tight schedule, etc limit me to early morning rides... Home by 9 am... No ones knows I was gone ... Gotta do shay you gotta do...

Riding on eastern Monmouth County roads, I experience at least one infuriating incident per ride. Hence, I rarely ride the road

If your talking about the stretch from sandy hook to Long Branch I can relate 100%. Everytime im up there I try to run at least 40-60 cyclists off the road with my SUV. Sometimes Im just tweeting something like "These fvcking fvckers are riding two abreast down ocean ave again" and I incidently swerve into the paceline. Its kinda like the bermuda triangle for cyclists and suv's up there. I appologize.

If your talking about the stretch from sandy hook to Long Branch I can relate 100%. Everytime im up there I try to run at least 40-60 cyclists off the road with my SUV. Sometimes Im just tweeting something like "These fvcking fvckers are riding two abreast down ocean ave again" and I incidently swerve into the paceline. Its kinda like the bermuda triangle for cyclists and suv's up there. I appologize.

you can't be this on all the time. no one is this good.

you sir, are a freaking genius.

Much more of a roadie prick myself these days too. I have 170 hours in the saddle since January. only 14 hours was Mountain bike.

For me it's the ease of rolling out my front door on to some of the best roads in New Jersey and PA. To drive to a trailhead is such a pain in the ass anymore and is at least a half day commitment or more. Don't get me wrong, I love mountain biking, there's just not enough options that are easily accessable without driving an hour somewhere.

This makes me wonder where many of you guys live. I'm in Boonton Township in Morris County and I always ride out my door on the SS mountain bike and have tons of trails to choose from. The Tourne is well under ten minutes away by bike and is good for a short spin. Splitrock is a couple of miles away and there are days worth of riding there. There are several more places to ride within a few miles. My brother lives in Blairstown and it would probably take months to explore all the dirt riding within a short bicycle ride from his house.

If maintenance issues are a problem ride a rigid SS with flats. That set up is close to zero maintenance. It's all I ride. Use quality components and all you do is lube the chain once in a while, check tire pressure every week or so and inspect the brakes every couple of months. Be a fanatic about *riding* your bike and not an equipment whore and the only excuse left is if there's no trails close by to ride to. Can't help you there.

This makes me wonder where many of you guys live. I'm in Boonton Township in Morris County and I always ride out my door on the SS mountain bike and have tons of trails to choose from. The Tourne is well under ten minutes away by bike and is good for a short spin. Splitrock is a couple of miles away and there are days worth of riding there. There are several more places to ride within a few miles. My brother lives in Blairstown and it would probably take months to explore all the dirt riding within a short bicycle ride from his house.

If maintenance issues are a problem ride a rigid SS with flats. That set up is close to zero maintenance. It's all I ride. Use quality components and all you do is lube the chain once in a while, check tire pressure every week or so and inspect the brakes every couple of months. Be a fanatic about *riding* your bike and not an equipment whore and the only excuse left is if there's no trails close by to ride to. Can't help you there.
Are you suggesting riding splitrock on a rigid SS with flats? My back hurts just thinking about that.

Not a good idea, Dude. If you get too many of them stuck under your vehicle, they can clog up your radiator, and you'll overheat.

Back
Top Bottom