Anyone ever mountain bike in Hawaii?

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So im going to Hawaii for my honeymoon in September and I definitely would like to get in a mountain bike ride or two while im there. I have found some info on the net and MTBR, but im wondering if anyone here has ridden there. I would like to get some better info about renting a bike and where the best place to go might be. Im going to be spending time on Oahu, Maui, and Kauai. Any info would be greatly appreciated

So im going to Hawaii for my honeymoon in September and I definitely would like to get in a mountain bike ride or two while im there. I have found some info on the net and MTBR, but im wondering if anyone here has ridden there. I would like to get some better info about renting a bike and where the best place to go might be. Im going to be spending time on Oahu, Maui, and Kauai. Any info would be greatly appreciated

I rode in Oahu and Maui.

Maui was a road ride though, but i would highly recommend it as it was a 30 mile downhill volcano. it was a lot of fun. Just look up Haleakala and bike, you will have a million hits for it. it's totally tourist-y. (if you can deal with that)

As far as Oahu goes, it was total rainforest where i rode. 10x worse than 6MR on a bad day. I mean, it was fun because it was Hawaii and all, but i am sure you can find something better. Just be careful, because where there are trees/woods in Hawaii, there clouds and rain...

I have no info on biking there but my honeymoon was on Kauai and it is beautiful! Congrats on the wedding and enjoy the islands!

Ps. Costco has the best prices on the island if you need to stock up on gifts/snacks ;)

Ps. Costco has the best prices on the island if you need to stock up on gifts/snacks ;)

Thanks for that info! I will make sure to bring my costco card...I hear eating in hawaii is stupid expensive.

Thanks for the info guys. I heard about the Haleakala ride, I might hit that one up with the wife....Hopefully I can find some cool single track to try as well.

I cant wait for this trip...after the awfulness that has been planning the wedding planning, its like the one light at the end of the tunnel.

I rode on Molokai which was fantastic.

I will post pics tonight.

Don't touch any artifacts from the caves then try to mountain bike as you'll be cursed. I saw this documentary years ago as a kid where some little kid named bobby did that and the whole family ran into bad luck. One kid hurt himself surfing, another had items fall off the wall while he was sleeping nearly killing him, the dad almost got eaten by a tarantula, even their housekeeper got hurt by the curse.

That's all I know about Hawaii.

-Steve

aaaahhhhhhh Hawaii. I MISS!!! How many days are you going to be out there and on each island? There is sooooooo much to do. Well, not Kaui really. Unless if you like lots of foliage haha. But if I were to ride, I would DH on the trails at Haleakala. I did the road down though. That was cool and fun to do with the misses. OR why don't you ride up Haleakala :D Mostly everywhere you go in HI is touristy, but it's still a sick time. It helps if you look like a local too. I got the local discount a few times :D

Scalpel6 - Did you ever go to the restaurant I reccomended when you went to Maui? I tell everyone going to go there and they all say the same, FANTASTIC. I just tried telling my bro to go there on during his honeymoon and IT IS CLOSED! So BUMMED! According to a friend there, the businesses are getting hit hard because of the poor economy.

Don't touch any artifacts from the caves then try to mountain bike as you'll be cursed. I saw this documentary years ago as a kid where some little kid named bobby did that and the whole family ran into bad luck. One kid hurt himself surfing, another had items fall off the wall while he was sleeping nearly killing him, the dad almost got eaten by a tarantula, even their housekeeper got hurt by the curse.

-Steve

It's a Hawaiian legend that you never move rocks, or take rocks from the islands...people i know say they are cursed for this. In fact, i forget where in Hawaii, perhaps the post office or something of the like, get tons of rocks, etc, mailed back to them to hopefully get rid of the bad luck...

Scalpel6 - Did you ever go to the restaurant I reccomended when you went to Maui? I tell everyone going to go there and they all say the same, FANTASTIC. I just tried telling my bro to go there on during his honeymoon and IT IS CLOSED! So BUMMED! According to a friend there, the businesses are getting hit hard because of the poor economy.

what restaurant/where was it?

Some Molokai shots

Back in 02'

Attachments

• Photos From The Old Computer 696.jpg
    Photos From The Old Computer 696.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 208
  • Photos From The Old Computer 737.jpg
    Photos From The Old Computer 737.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 202
  • Photos From The Old Computer 719.jpg
    Photos From The Old Computer 719.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 201
  • Photos From The Old Computer 757.jpg
    Photos From The Old Computer 757.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 211

-Steve

Funny Steve - I guess you have to be over 40 to get that one :eek:.

UtahJoe - Contgrats. I didn't bike there when I visited, but you'll have a great time. Try surfing in Maui. Kauai is lush and laid back. A visit to the Napali coastline is a must. We drove out there and did a catamaran ride out there too (Captain Andy's I think).

aaaahhhhhhh Hawaii. I MISS!!! How many days are you going to be out there and on each island? There is sooooooo much to do. Well, not Kaui really. Unless if you like lots of foliage haha. But if I were to ride, I would DH on the trails at Haleakala. I did the road down though. That was cool and fun to do with the misses. OR why don't you ride up Haleakala :D Mostly everywhere you go in HI is touristy, but it's still a sick time. It helps if you look like a local too. I got the local discount a few times :D

Manny,

So far as I know thus far....we plan on landing in honolulu and spend 3 days on oahu. Im really looking forward to seeing pearl harbor as im semi obcessed with wwii history. But after oahu, we are going to fly to kaui and stay there for 4 days. Not sure what the plan is yet for kaui, but we're working on it. My GF loves sitting on the beach and I absolutely HATE it with a passion. So hopefully I can try surfing or something....I have surfed once in CA....I was 275lbs then and the results were less than stellar. :D I always wanted to try it again. But after that, we are going to Maui for 4 days.

Thanks for all the great info guys, exactly what I was looking for. Love the pics J, im going to try to hit that up if I can swing it.

The timing of this trip is going to be fun....My wedding is saturday sept 18th...with any luck ill still be able to race at Jungle the following day. Then I go on the trip and come back the day before the Ringwood race.

My GF loves sitting on the beach and I absolutely HATE it with a passion.
Are we talking about your GF or your fiance? :D

Definitely surf in HI but make sure they take you to a remote "secret" spot. You will avoid the masses! The number one rule is it's always the locals wave.

Definitely surf in HI but make sure they take you to a remote "secret" spot. You will avoid the masses! The number one rule is it's always the locals wave.

GF....Girlfriend....I hate that word...fiance' Sounds awful. I dont think she cares. Shes probably more concerned that im planning on making my wedding ring out of plastic using the 3d printer in my office.

GF....Girlfriend....I hate that word...fiance' Sounds awful. I dont think she cares. Shes probably more concerned that im planning on making my wedding ring out of plastic using the 3d printer in my office.

Hey, i hear ya. I wanted to get mine as a tattoo because i hate wearing jewerly. The wife wasnt having any of that! :mad2:

I'd recommend this group for surf lessons, but it's not a secret spot. Its a surf lesson spot in Lahaina. The lineup is pretty huge, but not intimidating (it's all tourists) but the people there have been doing these lessons for a long time, so they manage the traffic very well...

http://www.goofyfootsurfschool.com/

Don't try surfing pipeline or jaws for your first time :)

recommend

getting the Entertainment coupon book of Hawaii. I ate everywhere with it and it saved me big time.

2) rollerblading there is great
3) bring your own snorkling gear, you can swim to the reefs from the beach. I also went Night diving,...from the beach and it was awesome. If you are brave,..turn off the underwater light and listen,....
4) Kitesurfing was only 150. for 2 days,...great deal and a lot of fun. I think its easier than surfing.
5) Get up early each morning and have coffee on the balcony,..sunrise there is inspiring.
6) Eat pineapple there,...the sweetest you'll ever find.
7) Take lots of pictures,...

Back
Top Bottom