Another MTB Noob

Nate2o1

Deer park?

Where is deer park?

I would say you ride it first and then decide if you'd like to bring your son.

You got a point. I'll ride it first before i decide to take him. Little man is fearless right now.
He enjoys the pump track and naturally i want to expand his riding abilities as he loves going fast and down hill. And explore the trails with me. He'll make a perfect riding partner.

Welcome. Keep riding!
I grew up in Ledgewood ?

Love it here. Move here 6 years ago. And now pleasantly happy and surprised that there are lots of trails within an hours drive from me according to the trailforks app.

dmkalemba

You got a point. I'll ride it first before i decide to take him. Little man is fearless right now. He enjoys the pump track and naturally i want to expand his riding abilities as he loves going fast and down hill. And explore the trails with me. He'll make a perfect riding partner. [/QUOTE said:
Welcome! nothing to add on to the places to ride. Get a trailer and pull the little one around on any hill you can find and you'll get in shape that much faster!

For the 6 year old, you have to confer with @UtahJoe on what's appropriate for kids... At Wildcat TM this weekend, we were walking down orange with his son (definitely not a beginner trail) and Utah says, "Do you think you can ride down this?" Son says "No I don't think so." Utah says "Well, your going to have to figure it out". :p

iman29

Welcome Nate !

I’m in Flanders and while I’ve been road riding for 10+ years still and “advanced beginner” when it comes to the MTB. Your bike looks great I ride an old Beater hardtail 26r when I want to do something different.

I live a mile from the Columbia trail trailhead off Bartley road and spent a lot of time building up MTB miles for endurance on there. I coached one season in the NJ NICA league and got a lot of good experience and training from people on here and thru the coaches training.

I think it’s been mentioned here but Nassau and 6 mile are the most fun for a beginner for sure. Dickerson mine white trail is my favorite if I want to stay close to home and the Randolph shop where martys is “just in case”.

If you’re just getting into cycling then I would sugggest spend time on Columbia trail and building up some fitness and endurance. And if you try and other trails no shame in walking vs staying safe and injury free.

I also only ride flat pedals (no clip ins on the MTB for me) so I can bail out when I don’t feel confident.

Last summer the martys shop at Randolph hosted some beginner rides after work at Dickerson so check in there or I can connect you to the ride leaders just PM me here.

Ride on!

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Would you guys say that sixmile is easy enough even for a six year old? He really wants to go with me. He rides a Trek Roscoe 20 inch. So midfat and no suspension.

Yes and no. The Blue trail field section close to the parking lot is a real good place to get him started. No roots at all. If he’s comfortable you can proceed farther along on blue into the woods. The other option at sixmile is to just stay in the area near Jacques lane. Sort of half the race course. The twisty’s on the RT 27 side is a ton of fun but getting to that section is a bit much for a new young rider.

Allaire on the other hand is an ideal place to take him. I think you should consider it.

Nate2o1

Thanks for the info @Paul H, Allamuchy is actually close to me about a15 minute drive. I'll put that trail on my check out list.
That's funny @dmkalemba, i actually took my 9 year old to Dickerson white trail with me not knowing how it was going to be. Needless to say he wad a little apprehensive and did not like the inclines. We did get lost a few times and ended up being late for his baseball game.
@iman29 your only a few minutes from me. Barkley trail head is about 10 minutes from me. I guess i can always practice in my backyard. Behind me is some town green acres where some kids ride their dirt bikes. I can use that trail but it's mainly a rock garden. Maybe I'll clean it up some and ride it when i can't make it out. That way i can at least ride daily. Weather permitting of course.

I'm super stoked on getting on my bike but it's taking time away from my kayak fishing.

qclabrat

Nassau isn't too fast from me, would love to join that beginners ride. As far as availability, I'm a stay at home dad, with that said my youngest is 2 going on three in July. So i can typically be free on the evenings. Weekends are hectic cuz wifey likes to fill the calendar with something, anything. But if there is a trail nearby where ever we gonna be i will take that opportunity to ride (like these past couple of days). When is this ride going to take place? I can try to somehow squeeze that in.

Yeah i figure it's a good sport to get into at this point in my life. Wish it was sooner but wasn't in the cards. Better than other middle choices!
I picked that bike up on sale. And loving it. Was going to get a hardtail but I realized living up where I am it's very rocky. Besides I think I paid a good price on it.

We have ridden Columbia trail, very relaxing ride. Love the creek/ river that runs along side and beautiful in the fall. The aroma is something else. But haven't done the entire trail. We start off in Washington so that's the very beginning. Would like to take a whole day to ride the entire trail though.

Try the pump track with the kids near the Columbia trail in high bridge. Fun for everyone and if they get tired, it's an easy walk back to the car

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Would you guys say that sixmile is easy enough even for a six year old? He really wants to go with me. He rides a Trek Roscoe 20 inch. So midfat and no suspension.

yes - it is easy enough - just be careful about turning around early enough that it doesn't go off the rails tired.
can always do a little more. start at the canal lot, not rt 27.

let him lead a bit - get off and walk when he walks.

make sure he knows how to use the brakes - i find that kids ride around the yard using their feet.
there are a few places where that won't work.

post up some pics!

Nate2o1

Funny you say try the pump track. My kids love the pump track but we go to the one in East Stroudsburg PA just past the toll booth from 80. I actually didn't know that there was another one here in Jersey. We used to go to the one in West Milford. But the one in Poconos is just super sized. I haven't tried it but i will this season.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Funny you say try the pump track. My kids love the pump track but we go to the one in East Stroudsburg PA just past the toll booth from 80. I actually didn't know that there was another one here in Jersey. We used to go to the one in West Milford. But the one in Poconos is just super sized. I haven't tried it but i will this season.
The pump track in High Bridge is about the same size as the one in West Milford

mtbiker87

The PA one isnt open yet this year, as they are having trouble meeting the rain/wastewater drainage requirements set by state dep, or some crap. The brand new one up in Port Jervis looks awesome though. Im planning to get up there in within the next week or so.

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
Welcome Nate. Not sure if anyone mentioned it, but the Patriots Path in the Morristown area starts out as a paved bike path then eventually turns in single track towards Lewis Morris. Good place for cardio training.

TPI_Elky

Welcome Nate. Not sure if anyone mentioned it, but the Patriots Path in the Morristown area starts out as a paved bike path then eventually turns in single track towards Lewis Morris. Good place for cardio training.

That's a pretty good one for kids too. I've gone west from LewMo with my kids when they go to camp there.

Parts of Stephens I'd say can be done by a beginner, thinking of some of the trails near the maze. The maze isn't too hard if you are getting good at obstacle crossing.

Was talking to another parent about where to take our 9yo boys who are showing interest. I think we're going to try Nassau.

Welcome!

Nate2o1

@mtbiker87, its too bad that they haven't fixed the drainage issue. I know that was there last season also. Hoping they get it done soon. Where is the one in Port Jervis? We are planning to go camping there for Labor Day. Was gonna kayak the deleware but pretty sure I can squeeze in a few rides up there. @Paul H, if I was around I would have loved to join you for the ride. Pretty sure I would be far behind but would try to keep up. @Victor I, I was driving through Morristown and remembered speedwell park. I have riddenn that trail a years ago. I'm sure my kids would enjoy riding along the lake there. Will be adding that to my family list for an upcoming ride. @TPI_Elky, when you decide to take your kids to Nassau trail, I would like to join you. Hopefully by then I already bought my 10 year old his bike. I'm still working on getting my 2 almost 3 year old a seat for my bike. Have to buy a new set up. Looking into the Shotgun Mtb bike seat. None of my current carriers seem to work on these bikes. How annoying!

Last edited:

mtbiker87

Riverside Park in Port Jervis NY. There is a great trail network nearby as well, so maybe give that shot while in the area as well.

TPI_Elky

I'll let you know when we head there at some point. I often go with a buddy of mine that lives close to there too. They are great trails. I often do Dickerson mornings OTW to work if that is possible for you.

Where are you going camping near Port Jervis? I grew up going to a campground in Montague NJ and visiting Port Jervis and Matamoris

Top Bottom