Another MTB Noob

Nate2o1

Hey all, new to everything here straight beginner. Wanted to introduce myself and say a little something. Names Nate and I'm from Ledgewood NJ. I'm in my 40's have 3 little boys and I am definitely not in the best shape. I've never been mountain biking and my experience riding a bike is around the neighborhood and Duke Farms and some rail trails with the family. So to say I'm very inexperienced. Been wanting to get into mountain biking for a while now and finally bought my first real bike. I've had it for almost two weeks now and have tried several trails. First trail i went to was at Tourne park, did the red tail and that was a mistake! Thought i was going to die with all those rocks and boulders. Needless to say, it's going to be a while before i attempt that park again. Definately not for beginners. But proud to say i did complete the entire loop. My second trail was Dikerson mine preserve. Which happens to be only a few minutes from me. Took the white trail, that ride was more enjoyable and hoping to go and tryour again tomorrow. Schedule permitting. I did walk some of the inclines (more than 3). My last and final ride was Lewis Morris which i did yesterday. (Did all 3 trails consecutively) decided to take the yellow tail cuz it supposed to be the easy one. Lots of inclines also lots of walking, panting like a dog. Took lots of breaks. Got lost a few times, fell once scratched up the shins but overall had a blast. Mind you my average speed was only like 4mph. So i got those the under my belt. And hoping to do tons more, mainly North Jersey. I'm not a very social person but would like to meet up with others for a ride. Unfortunately i doubt always have time to go due to the 3 boys and their afterschool. So yeah, hope to see some of you around. Oh and hello from Ledgewood pleasure to meet you all.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
welcome Nate! good choice on dickerson mine - good stuff there.
the climbing will come in time. do what you can, walk, enjoy the flats and downhill.

if you can head out to highbridge, Nassau Trails would be a step up from DM.
Six Mile Run in Franklin will be a bit easier with more varied terrain.

Keep riding! Enjoy.

post pictures of bike. :D

Nate2o1

Welcome.... but more importantly... is the bike OK?

My bike, Gamora is just fine. She can take a beating I hope.

welcome Nate! good choice on dickerson mine - good stuff there.
the climbing will come in time. do what you can, walk, enjoy the flats and downhill.

if you can head out to highbridge, Nassau Trails would be a step up from DM.
Six Mile Run in Franklin will be a bit easier with more varied terrain.

Keep riding! Enjoy.

post pictures of bike. :D

Patrick thanks for the welcome. I hope to master Dickerson within the next few years. I keep reading on the forum that people seem to love SixMile. But looking at Trailforks app it's showing as intermediate. Looking for more beginner friendly trails. I do want to challenge myself but still working on stamina and endurance and breathing. But anyway here's a pic of Gamora. It's a 2019 Marin B17.
20190602_150006.jpg

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I keep reading on the forum that people seem to love SixMile. But looking at Trailforks app it's showing as intermediate.
6 mile is a beginner trail, not much elevation or rocks.
Keep pedalling and enjoy yourself, the more you ride the better you'll feel.
Welcome

Tim

aka sptimmy43
Welcome! 6 Mile is definitely a beginner ride. You'll have a blast there.

qclabrat

Welcome Nate, we'll have a beginner ride coming up at Nassau in the near future. What's your typical availability?

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Welcome @Nate2o1

Midlife mountain biking is a common theme around here, as is first trail foibles. Totally normal. Nice choice for a first real MTB BTW.

Sixmile, Nassau and Allaire are very good choices to build confidence.

With 3 little kids at home what does your riding schedule look like?

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Welcome!

We were all beginners once!

(Some of us still are ?)

If you're looking to get some miles in, do something like Columbia trail... Bonus: the coffee and cookies are delicious mid ride snacks at the Coffee Potter.

Otherwise: GO TO SIX MILE! (Weather permitting because it doesn't drain well after the rain)

Nate2o1

Welcome Nate, we'll have a beginner ride coming up at Nassau in the near future. What's your typical availability?

Nassau isn't too fast from me, would love to join that beginners ride. As far as availability, I'm a stay at home dad, with that said my youngest is 2 going on three in July. So i can typically be free on the evenings. Weekends are hectic cuz wifey likes to fill the calendar with something, anything. But if there is a trail nearby where ever we gonna be i will take that opportunity to ride (like these past couple of days). When is this ride going to take place? I can try to somehow squeeze that in.

Welcome @Nate2o1

Midlife mountain biking is a common theme around here, as is first trail foibles. Totally normal. Nice choice for a first real MTB BTW.

Sixmile, Nassau and Allaire are very good choices to build confidence.

With 3 little kids at home what does your riding schedule look like?

Yeah i figure it's a good sport to get into at this point in my life. Wish it was sooner but wasn't in the cards. Better than other middle choices!
I picked that bike up on sale. And loving it. Was going to get a hardtail but I realized living up where I am it's very rocky. Besides I think I paid a good price on it.

Welcome!

We were all beginners once!

(Some of us still are ?)

If you're looking to get some miles in, do something like Columbia trail... Bonus: the coffee and cookies are delicious mid ride snacks at the Coffee Potter.

Otherwise: GO TO SIX MILE! (Weather permitting because it doesn't drain well after the rain)

We have ridden Columbia trail, very relaxing ride. Love the creek/ river that runs along side and beautiful in the fall. The aroma is something else. But haven't done the entire trail. We start off in Washington so that's the very beginning. Would like to take a whole day to ride the entire trail though.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
cranks keep on turning proud Nate keep on churnin.
Welcome like everything practice makes perfect

02camaro

thats a sweet first bike. i agree with what other said about nassau and 6 mile. 6 mile isnt actually 6 miles its more like 16 for the full loop, you can cut the miles down into shorter loops if you want and there are no sustained hills, maybe like 100yds max. nassau is about 10miles total with 2 large steep climbs (1 in each direction) both good fun going down. nassau is mostly packed dirt but does have more rocks, dont let that fool you since 6 mile has NO rock gardens. both trails are on the must do and are fun for beginners and advanced riders alike. just get out and have fun no matter how fast you are going.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Welcome Nate!!
It’s not easy picking up a new sport at our age, and three young kids at home can be taxing time wise. Keep pedaling. Columbia Trail is an easy way to get in some fitness miles. It is easy, but if you push harder, even the easy trails will reward you.
Watch the What’s Happening thread that @MissJR puts together for beginner group rides.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Welcome!

My last and final ride was Lewis Morris which i did yesterday. (Did all 3 trails consecutively) decided to take the yellow tail cuz it supposed to be the easy one. Lots of inclines also lots of walking, panting like a dog. Took lots of breaks. Got lost a few times, fell once scratched up the shins but overall had a blast. Mind you my average speed was only like 4mph.

Lewis Morris is a great place to start out and get in shape. I rode there 2-3 days a week after work for the first year or two that I was riding. I still remember having to walk up every single hill there.

Nate2o1

Man o man, if i had more time today i would have gone to six mile. Sounds like a fun run. But only have a few hours so I'll probably go to Dickerson since it's only 10 minutes from me.
Besides six mile, and Nassau and Lewis. What other trails up my way would you guys recommend?

Nate2o1

Would you guys say that sixmile is easy enough even for a six year old? He really wants to go with me. He rides a Trek Roscoe 20 inch. So midfat and no suspension.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Man o man, if i had more time today i would have gone to six mile. Sounds like a fun run. But only have a few hours so I'll probably go to Dickerson since it's only 10 minutes from me.
Besides six mile, and Nassau and Lewis. What other trails up my way would you guys recommend?
Deer park?

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Would you guys say that sixmile is easy enough even for a six year old? He really wants to go with me. He rides a Trek Roscoe 20 inch. So midfat and no suspension.
I am prolly wrong but I wanna say 6 may be too young?

Mtbdog

I would say you ride it first and then decide if you'd like to bring your son. Of all the parks it's one of the flattest I've been to with plenty of nice flowy trails and maybe a little help up some very short friendly climbs. Whichever way it's great to see the youngster out there mixing it up,kudos.

Top Bottom