Allaire ready soon? Bikes ready from Brick Bikes....

B737

Allaire ready soon? Bike's ready from Brick Bikes....

when do you guys think allaire will be ready?

i picked the bike up from J at brick bikes. Its all re-tuned and ready to go. Id have to say, brielle cyclery just didnt seem to get it right setting the bike up. But whatever jay did, chemical bath to drive train, readjusted drive train, really did the trick, the bike is downshifting now on a snap and not up shifting all by itself (from road tests anyway).

I had the new tires put on, ---Subjective Text Removed--- Edited 3/19

anyways, im chomping at the bit to get it out on the trails....

i was figuring another week and a half or two weeks??

ps, i love the way the new fat tires look, my bike looks very angry
flamingdevil.gif

Last edited:
I had the new tires put on, the mark up at Js shop was pretty significant, 40%. it was so excessive it will probably deter me from purchasing any non service related goods from the shop :( He billed me $50 per tire, that i could have purchased for 35 a piece, i didnt expect that. I took the high road and did not call him out on it...

How exactly were you going to call him out? He's gotta feed the family just like the rest of us.

im not calling anyone out on anything, im just not that kind of person. I gladly handed him over, more than $200 for the service, he worked hard on the bike and the results were great.

Why was it worth mentioning? it is worth mentioning because i feel the value of a $35 tire, should not be $50, installed from a LBS. Thats all, no harm no foul, but most definitely worth mentioning.

Last edited:
Jeez, Managed to rip two shops in one post. That's ....Um...impressive?

Here is the deal:

1. Shops don't always get it right the first time. That can happen in any business. An unsatisfied customer should return to the business and allow them the opportunity to "make it right". If it doesn't work out, you go elsewhere.

2. Stuff at a shop is more expensive. You saw a 40% mark-up in price for tires that were put on for you? That does not seem excessive to me. 40% mark-up from what? Ask for the price before telling them to put them on next time. :rolleyes:

In any event, don't go on the net and criticize a business without providing all the details.

Not really knocking anyone here, just stating my experiance and how i felt. i pretty much gave him free reign to do as he wished with the bike which is why i didnt remark on the tires. What i posted here was simply a internal gut feeling.

Im not knocking Brielle, i think their focus is really on road bikes. J had his work cut out for him on my Trek, as well as several other details i had to attend to myself after getting the bike from them.

I love brielle cyclery, I grew up in brielle my whole life, i even worked at that bike shop in high school until i was old enough to work at the airport ;)

and your 100% right, the best thing to have done would have been to take it back to B/C and give them another crack at it. That being said, i will continue to use J at brick bikes for my service needs that i feel a professional should attend to...

Last edited:
Easy....easy...

First, and so I don;t get all my teeth kicked in here....SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL LBS AT ALL COSTS, ESPECIALLY NOW...AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE.

Second,
guys...jumping into this and reading everything I think you guys might be being a little bit hard on B737. I don;t think he meant to be shop bashing. What I got from his post was that he was thrilled with the results, but felt that the pricing was a little more than he thought it would be, on just the tires.

$30 price difference between the two tires IS a lot more than any LBS is gonna charge to mount two tires, so I am not buyin that argument.

B737 I can relate, but keep in mind what Norm said. The shop might in fact be a bit pricey on the tires, but just look around at all the empty commercial buildings to know how tough it is for businesses right now. Now imagine how hard it is for a bike shop to make it through winter in NJ.
When you get to the trailhead one day & something isn't working, and you curse, then shoot over to the LBS, and they fix it with a part off their work area shelf, save your day & refuse to take any money...theres your value in the slightly 'overpriced' tires.
When times are fat again in the future (hopefully) and you are a regular customer, and they hook you up with a discount from time to time, theres your value in the tires.

My Lefty fork recently took a s**t. I went to my LBS, they took apart a DEMO bike, put the lefty off of that bike on my bike, sent me on my way, and sent my fork out to Cannondale. Then I went back once mine came in & they swapped it back out, WHILE I WAITED. If their price for a tire is a bit more than on the internet, I am smilin & buyin....especially during these times.

Stuff like this is why Ben & Walt wanted to rip your head off for your post. People around here are hardcore in support of all our LBS for these reasons. I wrote this because their replies to you seemed a little harsh. Just like the LBS will be there for you, I guarantee if Walt or Ben saw you on the trail with a flat, today, they'd give you a tube (purchased at a LBS for more than online) without thinking about it. Then they'd make fun of your tires :)

If I understand it correctly it's actually this:

$35 a tire online
$50 a tire in the shop, including mounting

That's not really that bad. Add shipping and you're basically paying migrant farmer wages to the guy for mounting the tire.

I can relate to both sides here. Jay does great work. I also hate seeing the bill for new car tires when they tack on stuff that I forgot about like balancing and tire stems but I don't blame the shop. Live and learn. Go enjoy your bike Allaire is ready.

Last 3 posters, well articulated discussion and completely support my
mind set. Spot on!

Stuff like this is why Ben & Walt wanted to rip your head off for your post. People around here are hardcore in support of all our LBS for these reasons. I wrote this because their replies to you seemed a little harsh. Just like the LBS will be there for you, I guarantee if Walt or Ben saw you on the trail with a flat, today, they'd give you a tube (purchased at a LBS for more than online) without thinking about it. Then they'd make fun of your tires :)

Just for the record, I wasn't trying to come off harsh, simply asking if they were mounted.

And of course I would laugh at his tires, they are those silly little 26ers:rofl:

I guarantee if Walt or Ben saw you on the trail with a flat, today, they'd give you a tube (purchased at a LBS for more than online) without thinking about it. Then they'd make fun of your tires :)

I agree...Ben and Walt are pricks. :D:D;);)

just kidding

Yeah...I'd give you one of my 29" tires and laugh as I ride away.

BTW, I am a prick but most people get used to me. ;)

Q: How many forum members does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: 1,368

1 to change the light bulb.
1 to post that the light bulb has been changed.
14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently.
7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs.
27 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs
53 to flame the spell checkers.
6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb".
Another 6 to condemn those 6 as anal-retentive.
2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is "lamp".
15 know-it-alls who claim they were in the industry, and that "light bulb" is perfectly correct.
109 to post that this forum is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a lightbulb forum.
111 to defend the posting to this forum saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts are relevant to this forum.
306 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique and what brands are faulty.
27 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs.
14 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URL's.
3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to this group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group.
33 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add "Me too".
6 that flame them for not using the Search feature.
12 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy.
19 to quote the "Me too's" to say "+1".
4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"
143 to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs".
1 moderator that comes in and says something about doing it wrong and that everyone who disagrees gets a warning.
1 new forum member to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again.
<snip>

:D :p

Please take this discussion to a lightbulb forum.

And it's not a warning, it's a penalty box.

Q: How many forum members does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: 1,368

1 to change the light bulb.
1 to post that the light bulb has been changed.
14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently.
7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs.
27 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs
53 to flame the spell checkers.
6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb".
Another 6 to condemn those 6 as anal-retentive.
2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is "lamp".
15 know-it-alls who claim they were in the industry, and that "light bulb" is perfectly correct.
109 to post that this forum is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a lightbulb forum.
111 to defend the posting to this forum saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts are relevant to this forum.
306 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique and what brands are faulty.
27 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs.
14 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URL's.
3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to this group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group.
33 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add "Me too".
6 that flame them for not using the Search feature.
12 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy.
19 to quote the "Me too's" to say "+1".
4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"
143 to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs".
1 moderator that comes in and says something about doing it wrong and that everyone who disagrees gets a warning.
1 new forum member to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again.
<snip>

:D :p

+1 on that

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions