A Wookies return.....

Today I start what I hope will be my last week of chemo and I have mixed emotions. As those of you that have been following this thread already know, I’ve been here before. My doctor warned me that it may come back with a vengeance and it did. So now I wonder if it will come back again and that worries me because they can’t administer this form of chemo again. He spoke of doing a maintenance plan with a drug that is similar to what I’m getting now…..I hope I don’t have a negative reaction to that one. Stupid fears that I can’t seem to purge from my brain, but I did come by it honestly.
On the cool front……my riding is improving and I am definitely getting stronger. I did a 9 mile ride at Allaire on Friday last week and I felt great and was not super exhausted when I got home! Progress!!

I just want to thank you all for the continued calls, emails, and texts of support! I am truly humbled by everyone’s love!!
stay strong Frank....hope to see you soon!

E16BE9B2-A839-4D97-B143-CF1516CAFE95.jpeg

This was my chair and it’s empty now, I’ve completed another round of chemo. Time flies even when you are not having fun but believe it or not, I will miss this place. The care I’ve gotten here was second to none, the staff, the nurses, and the doctor. I hope none of you ever have to walk this path but know that there are indeed many, many caring people that will come from all directions to help you. I have been blessed with great family and an overwhelming amount of friends who have been by my side through this all. I’m eternally grateful for all of your support and know that the cycling community is full of great people.
On Tuesday I will meet with the doctor to discuss a maintenance plan as my form of cancer has proven to be very aggressive. Luckily I have responded well with my treatment plan and he wants to put me on a modified version to keep that horrible shit at bay. I will still need to go to the lab every 8 weeks to get my port flushed, but that will just give me a chance to see all of my friends at the lab. From here I will need to find a job for the next 10 months ( I can retire at 62 ) because I don’t want to go back to the stress factory and do 50 hour weeks again. Work to live not live to work……I’ve said that to people for years and never realized that I should have listened to what I was saying. But only time will tell what’s in store for me, but I plan on a ton of riding. I am also going to assist at Allaire for tm and posting to help Mike, it will be good for me too. So I hope to see many of you out on the trails soon as I’m getting stronger and more able to keep my usual slow pace. Thank you all again for the support and for listening to my rhetoric.

Well my follow up visit didn’t exactly go as planned. The frickin doctor was supposed to say “you are good to go, check back in 6 months” but he didn’t. Instead I hear that he wants to put me on maintenance, which I figured, and that it would be a weekly infusion…..did not see that coming. He also wants me to go to an Immunologist as he wants to revisit the drug that stopped my heart…..are you fucking serious??? This time he wants to try a very small dose while I’m in the hospital, I mean wtf? At this point I can’t return to full time employment and he did offer to put me on permanent disability but I don’t know what that entails, and if I can remain on COBRA from my employer, who thinks I’m returning. Many decisions to be made….
so after a sleepless night last night and a quick cry in the parking lot, I went home and cut the grass and now I will ride my bike. That is the only good thing about my situation is my wife fully supports my riding habit…she actually encourages it. She wants me to stay at home and just ride my bike, that sounds pretty good.
So at this point I will start to get rid of stuff, paint my house, and get it ready to go on the market so we can move into an adult community and make things easier on both of us. I should have seen this all coming as the prior 2 days I had fun rides with @mike_243 and @Juggernaut, thanks guys!,
1528298C-1905-4C96-A802-69C9ACEB4879.jpeg
4AC1EA5D-EC9A-4557-9AF8-BCD536141A85.jpeg

and for once, I’m the only one NOT wearing a JORBA jersey.

Today marked an interesting day for me, I began the 31 challenge, I resigned from work, and I called my oncologist office to go forward with my treatment. Resigning From work was a tough one but considering that I don’t know how I will feel with weekly maintenance chemo, I thought it best to resign. Everyone in the company that I informed in the corporation wished me well and would welcome me back should I decide to do so…..but I don’t want to. The last month I’ve been driving the Mrs daily to see her mom at the “home” and it made my mind up for me. Why are we so worried about living a longer life if doing so means you spend who knows how many years staring at tvs all day and possibly having you mind go away. I see the residents sitting in their wheel chairs in the hallways just staring into space. That is not for me, so if the man upstairs gives me 5, or 10 more years, I want to enjoy retirement while I can. Better to die at 70 because I crashed into a tree than at 80 drooling and pissing myself. Granted I could to the later now but I don’t drink anymore sooo.
Next week I need to apply for permanent disability and I really have no clue where to start, I guess the social security office. Regardless my doc says his part should guarantee me coverage so we will see what happens.
For now I will ride my bike daily and attend as many tm sessions as I’m able, I had missed them and I was glad to get to 2 sessions this past week.
DD08B258-C907-4F3F-A4FD-77D932289E12.jpeg
7317C7B7-25B2-452B-A0CC-0F89C2BA88B2.jpeg
149DD8F6-D0D5-4E84-8E6E-81BF8930CC3B.jpeg

Today marked an interesting day for me, I began the 31 challenge, I resigned from work, and I called my oncologist office to go forward with my treatment. Resigning From work was a tough one but considering that I don’t know how I will feel with weekly maintenance chemo, I thought it best to resign. Everyone in the company that I informed in the corporation wished me well and would welcome me back should I decide to do so…..but I don’t want to. The last month I’ve been driving the Mrs daily to see her mom at the “home” and it made my mind up for me. Why are we so worried about living a longer life if doing so means you spend who knows how many years staring at tvs all day and possibly having you mind go away. I see the residents sitting in their wheel chairs in the hallways just staring into space. That is not for me, so if the man upstairs gives me 5, or 10 more years, I want to enjoy retirement while I can. Better to die at 70 because I crashed into a tree than at 80 drooling and pissing myself. Granted I could to the later now but I don’t drink anymore sooo.
Next week I need to apply for permanent disability and I really have no clue where to start, I guess the social security office. Regardless my doc says his part should guarantee me coverage so we will see what happens.
For now I will ride my bike daily and attend as many tm sessions as I’m able, I had missed them and I was glad to get to 2 sessions this past week. View attachment 187916View attachment 187917View attachment 187918
Good luck on your new venture!

Like most things I write, It just doesn’t read the way it sounds in my head….but….A couple years ago, the universe made it abundantly clear to me that the only certainty we have is the moment we find ourselves in. There are no safe bets, no guarantees. I both support and applaud your decision to take charge and actually “live” your life. Love u brother.

Like most things I write, It just doesn’t read the way it sounds in my head….but….A couple years ago, the universe made it abundantly clear to me that the only certainty we have is the moment we find ourselves in. There are no safe bets, no guarantees. I both support and applaud your decision to take charge and actually “live” your life. Love u brother.
Love you too my friend. You may need to take another PTO day soon. Lol

Well Monday I start maintenance chemo….yeehaw. I will find out how much it messes me up and see if I can take it on a weekly basis. Good news it’s only one day a week for only 3 hours, at least that’s what they said over the phone. Time to get my Chemobak ready with my ipad and wires.
I’m hoping that this will have zero effect on my riding. I am entered in the 31 day Halters challenge and yes, I’m feeling it. Turns out the hour is a bigger challenge for me than I thought. The neuropathy really hits in the last 30 minutes and puts my hands, neck, and feet to sleep. I ordered a new handlebar that will hopefully help in that regard. Since May I’ve been adding more riding days and I plan on carrying on with this challenge after July to see how far I can take it. I am riding for my life after all and since I’m not working wtf, let’s roll. I am happy that I’ve been able to increase my average speed a little at a time. Nothing exciting to you all, but good for me. Hopefully I can increase my ride time as well as I feel I’m cheating a little doing the minimum, but I’m not too strong yet.
On yesterdays ride, Chris and I rode with a guy named Mike who is from Virginia Beach and is up visiting family. He made a few comments as I was pushing myself a little and I told him the organs effected by cancer and he said geeez, you are doing great! I’m trying and will continue to try, I’m not sure if I will get any faster or stronger one I start the chemo again, but I will still be out there trying to kick cancer in the balls.

Fuck Cancer

Day one of maintenance chemo. Not quite sure what that will entail time wise, but I have ride plans later today. So I will be getting a steroid, short term anti nausea medication, and my 2 chemos that I always got….just not as much. My cancer is very aggressive according to the doc and I concur from bitter experience. But if this is what it takes to stay alive I’m in! Maybe I should hit a gym in order to take advantage of the steroid! Lol
D2FA690D-488B-45BC-803A-84110E19D3EC.jpeg

I will be keeping myself busy with riding, 2 Tm sessions this week, and visiting mom in law at the “home “ every day. The tough part is trying to figure out how to get permanent disability but the good news is that there are folk at the lab who know about this stuff. I swear these are the nicest and most caring people on the planet so I’m not really disappointed about having to come back….it’s like visiting friends.

Day one of maintenance chemo. Not quite sure what that will entail time wise, but I have ride plans later today. So I will be getting a steroid, short term anti nausea medication, and my 2 chemos that I always got….just not as much. My cancer is very aggressive according to the doc and I concur from bitter experience. But if this is what it takes to stay alive I’m in! Maybe I should hit a gym in order to take advantage of the steroid! Lol
View attachment 189516

I will be keeping myself busy with riding, 2 Tm sessions this week, and visiting mom in law at the “home “ every day. The tough part is trying to figure out how to get permanent disability but the good news is that there are folk at the lab who know about this stuff. I swear these are the nicest and most caring people on the planet so I’m not really disappointed about having to come back….it’s like visiting friends.

It's always great to hear there are nice people willing to take the time to help out others, it doesn't matter if it's their job or not. Even better is the recipient is someone as worthy as you are. I don't take anything for granted anymore, so I'm glad you're finding the resources to move forward.

I would like to thank @jdog for putting the 31/31 challenge out there again, and of course JORBA and mtbnj. I love the fact that everyone is rooting for each other as we all struggle through this. At this point I’m half way through and yes, I’m tired, it’s tough to get motivated at times, but I am challenging myself to complete the challenge. I get a little bummed when I do all I can and it’s barely over an hour….but I look to improve that. Perhaps I will be the first, and hopefully last chemo patient to participate in this. I hope I haven’t stepped on any toes making that prior assumption. On Sunday I will be at Allaire tm helping to fill in for @mike_243 as he recovers from his crash. So that means I will be riding afterward, I hope I leave enough in the tank for that. Looking at the weather forecast for Monday I am already planning to ride early as I have to go to chemo at 10:45 am. This is great because I’ve had problems doing mornings, so I’m happy with myself for even considering this. So what I’m saying is this, fuck cancer and your attempt at taking me out. Yes, you knocked me down and started to kick me, but I got up and now I’m pissed…..not a wise thing to do. I am looking forward to my rides and continuing this challenge beyond July. A new motto for me Ride to live, live to ride !

I’ve been feeling good lately!!! Doing tm sessions (even though most won’t let me actually do much) but still getting my hour ride in. I love that the Halters Challenge came up and I committed to it as I feel I’m getting stronger as we go on. Last night I noticed something unusual when I dismounted from the bike, I wasn’t hunched over and feeling like I was 100 years old. I was able to stand right up and load my bike rather easily….it’s funny about the little things in life!!

Today I went to the Social Security Office to try and get my disability set up. Now I know you can do it on line but to complete the process they need to send an access code by mail which I never got 🤦‍♂️ Go figure. But to my surprise I was treated nicely and they helped me and I was out in 30 minutes. I went home and finished the process on my computer so now I wait. I feel real funny about applying as I’ve worked my whole life and would rather continue, but the chemo messes me up for a few days and doc says I shouldn’t go back to work soooo.

Friday will be the wife and my 32nd anniversary! I’m very happy to be able to make it and I will try to make it special for her, she’s been through so much. I will look at every holiday differently from here forward as each is like a milestone for me now. I think I will have a nice big steak!!!

Your work/guidance at TM sessions is invaluable, you gotta stop feeding us fish and let us to cast the line, then cast it again after you tell us what we missed 😉

Happy early anniversary dude. We all should realize every holiday is a milestone. Nothing is guaranteed (I should take my own advice here). Thanks for sharing your journey with us all

I’ve been feeling good lately!!! Doing tm sessions (even though most won’t let me actually do much) but still getting my hour ride in. I love that the Halters Challenge came up and I committed to it as I feel I’m getting stronger as we go on. Last night I noticed something unusual when I dismounted from the bike, I wasn’t hunched over and feeling like I was 100 years old. I was able to stand right up and load my bike rather easily….it’s funny about the little things in life!!

Today I went to the Social Security Office to try and get my disability set up. Now I know you can do it on line but to complete the process they need to send an access code by mail which I never got 🤦‍♂️ Go figure. But to my surprise I was treated nicely and they helped me and I was out in 30 minutes. I went home and finished the process on my computer so now I wait. I feel real funny about applying as I’ve worked my whole life and would rather continue, but the chemo messes me up for a few days and doc says I shouldn’t go back to work soooo.

Friday will be the wife and my 32nd anniversary! I’m very happy to be able to make it and I will try to make it special for her, she’s been through so much. I will look at every holiday differently from here forward as each is like a milestone for me now. I think I will have a nice big steak!!!
Glad to hear that riding is making you feel better. I fully credit (blame) you for influencing my decision to go for 31 days vs accepting that I'll just do the 20 days of July Challenge, even though I had to use a Mulligan. Happy anniversary.

Back
Top Bottom