A Wookies return.....

Frank

Sasquatch
My wonderful and extremely patient wife helped put into words how I’ve been feeling. Having chemo brain, or perhaps it’s just old age, makes it difficult for me to communicate. So below is a copy of an email that went out to all of the fantastic folk who have helped me through this journey so far, I’m only half way through my treatments and I’m determined to move forward. So thank you all.

Dear Friends,
Being diagnosed with metastatic colon cancer can bombard you with a lot of negative perspectives. Weeks of invasive testing, at a time when you barely have the strength to get out of bed. Medical bills piling up, and the realization that you’ll have to sell your house to pay them – which means packing and moving, a task that seems insurmountable when you’re feeling that weak and miserable. And then, the additional unforeseen expenses – switching to all organic foods because your liver is seriously compromised, new clothes because you’ve lost 60 pounds, nutritional supplements to fight the cancer, exercisers that can be used while seated in your recliner, essential oils and diffusers to combat the lung cancer, etc. And then finding out that a disability check is substantially less than a paycheck and that your health insurance is somewhat less than optimal. (for example, my copay for a liver biopsy was $6,000.00 because Blue Cross determined that it could have been done without anesthesia – an option that I was not offered at the time of the test.)
You might think that I don’t have a lot to be grateful for – but that couldn’t be farther from the truth.
I am so grateful to all of you who contributed so generously to the fund that saved us financially. You can’t imagine the weight that was lifted when I realized that we didn’t have to immediately sell our house. I was completely bowled over – not just because of the enormity of the total, but because of the number of names on the list. I don’t know what I ever did to deserve such an amazing group of friends, or how I can ever adequately thank you all.
I am truly grateful for all of the moral support you give me. Some of you, sadly, have personal experiences with cancer, and I find your stories to be educational and inspirational. Others have given me a shoulder to cry on, encouragement to keep fighting, memories of better times, and amusing anecdotes, all of which greatly improve my mental state.
I am extremely grateful to all of you who take time out of your busy workday to message me during chemo. With Covid restrictions, a 5 hour chemo session can seem endless, and social media is my salvation.
I am immensely grateful to everyone who has come over for a visit, and hope you will come again. If you haven’t been here, please consider this an invitation. If you need a more formal request, please see the attached poster from my wife. She doesn’t allow me to go out, but is all in favor of controlled, socially distant home visitation!
I am ever so grateful for the vast improvement in my health. A few short months ago I was walking (slowly and shakily) with a cane, and using moist towelettes because I couldn’t stand up long enough to take a shower. This past week I have finally been able to get back on my bike – which brings us to ….
I am amazingly grateful for friends who are willing to ride with me, for short distances, at a snail’s pace, and with frequent rest stops.
I don’t know how to convey what it means to me to have such a remarkable support group. The love, prayers and encouragement are what’s getting me through this. I couldn’t do it without you and will be forever grateful. Hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Sincerely,
Frank

w_b

@Frank , when I met you we were back in Allaire by the parkway, before a ripper, and when I rolled up you recognized me as the JA who rode a 40lb DH bike as his trail bike. Actually I think you just recognized the bike, which is understandable. You also mentioned about your fat bike putting the FU back in fun, or something like that. Anyway, so very glad to read of your continued incredible optimism and positive outlook on your recovery. You got this. Keep the great attitude, as that is part of the keys to recovery, and know we as a community are here for you.

Thanks for continuing to be an inspiration, and wishing all the best for a full recovery.

Frank

Sasquatch
@Frank , when I met you we were back in Allaire by the parkway, before a ripper, and when I rolled up you recognized me as the JA who rode a 40lb DH bike as his trail bike. Actually I think you just recognized the bike, which is understandable. You also mentioned about your fat bike putting the FU back in fun, or something like that. Anyway, so very glad to read of your continued incredible optimism and positive outlook on your recovery. You got this. Keep the great attitude, as that is part of the keys to recovery, and know we as a community are here for you.

Thanks for continuing to be an inspiration, and wishing all the best for a full recovery.
Funny, I used to ride a 38# Iron horse before my Turner.....I was probably relating. Lol
Thank you for your kind words.

serviceguy

My wonderful and extremely patient wife helped put into words how I’ve been feeling. Having chemo brain, or perhaps it’s just old age, makes it difficult for me to communicate. So below is a copy of an email that went out to all of the fantastic folk who have helped me through this journey so far, I’m only half way through my treatments and I’m determined to move forward. So thank you all.

Dear Friends,
Being diagnosed with metastatic colon cancer can bombard you with a lot of negative perspectives. Weeks of invasive testing, at a time when you barely have the strength to get out of bed. Medical bills piling up, and the realization that you’ll have to sell your house to pay them – which means packing and moving, a task that seems insurmountable when you’re feeling that weak and miserable. And then, the additional unforeseen expenses – switching to all organic foods because your liver is seriously compromised, new clothes because you’ve lost 60 pounds, nutritional supplements to fight the cancer, exercisers that can be used while seated in your recliner, essential oils and diffusers to combat the lung cancer, etc. And then finding out that a disability check is substantially less than a paycheck and that your health insurance is somewhat less than optimal. (for example, my copay for a liver biopsy was $6,000.00 because Blue Cross determined that it could have been done without anesthesia – an option that I was not offered at the time of the test.)
You might think that I don’t have a lot to be grateful for – but that couldn’t be farther from the truth.
I am so grateful to all of you who contributed so generously to the fund that saved us financially. You can’t imagine the weight that was lifted when I realized that we didn’t have to immediately sell our house. I was completely bowled over – not just because of the enormity of the total, but because of the number of names on the list. I don’t know what I ever did to deserve such an amazing group of friends, or how I can ever adequately thank you all.
I am truly grateful for all of the moral support you give me. Some of you, sadly, have personal experiences with cancer, and I find your stories to be educational and inspirational. Others have given me a shoulder to cry on, encouragement to keep fighting, memories of better times, and amusing anecdotes, all of which greatly improve my mental state.
I am extremely grateful to all of you who take time out of your busy workday to message me during chemo. With Covid restrictions, a 5 hour chemo session can seem endless, and social media is my salvation.
I am immensely grateful to everyone who has come over for a visit, and hope you will come again. If you haven’t been here, please consider this an invitation. If you need a more formal request, please see the attached poster from my wife. She doesn’t allow me to go out, but is all in favor of controlled, socially distant home visitation!
I am ever so grateful for the vast improvement in my health. A few short months ago I was walking (slowly and shakily) with a cane, and using moist towelettes because I couldn’t stand up long enough to take a shower. This past week I have finally been able to get back on my bike – which brings us to ….
I am amazingly grateful for friends who are willing to ride with me, for short distances, at a snail’s pace, and with frequent rest stops.
I don’t know how to convey what it means to me to have such a remarkable support group. The love, prayers and encouragement are what’s getting me through this. I couldn’t do it without you and will be forever grateful. Hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Sincerely,
Frank
Pssss.. @Frank ...I think you (the poster) forgot to post the poster...she did such a great job, it's hilarious...if you don't mind I took the liberty to post it after downloading it from the Jorba e-mail...the WVP !
wookie pavillion.jpg

Frank

Sasquatch
....so the other day I get a text from @pooriggy asking if I wanted to ride today, and I was excited, I love the fact that he was willing to ride with me again at my slow pace..... it means a ton. Soon after @Mitch chimes in and said he would join as well, then I contacted @cdrmtbiker and he said he would join. I liked the idea that if I needed to I could break off and they would have someone to ride with and I wouldn’t feel too guilty about it.
So I get to the lot and I see @dhsean and @ChrisG in the lot and shortly after @SmooveP arrived. We were joined by another rider named Tom...I think (sorry if I forgot his name) and we all set off into the woods minus @dhsean. During the ride I heard nothing but encouragement, except for Mitch yelling at me because I forgot the way a few trails went, and I was just amazed. Thank you gents for making my day and giving me yet another thing to be thankful for.....much love to you.

Attachments

• E11F64D1-E524-477E-8249-F5033E6E95C3.png
    E11F64D1-E524-477E-8249-F5033E6E95C3.png
    243.9 KB · Views: 181
  • 37045907-10CC-4E6F-96FA-E529F0D051C0.jpeg
    37045907-10CC-4E6F-96FA-E529F0D051C0.jpeg
    170.2 KB · Views: 176
  • 2A10E918-F8D8-4076-A4A7-0B976A0F560D.jpeg
    2A10E918-F8D8-4076-A4A7-0B976A0F560D.jpeg
    58.4 KB · Views: 170
  • 8B7A5EAD-5F93-472F-925E-5ACD24F22F18.jpeg
    8B7A5EAD-5F93-472F-925E-5ACD24F22F18.jpeg
    72.3 KB · Views: 168
  • AC08EE49-D299-45D4-8F93-FE1B94DF8455.jpeg
    AC08EE49-D299-45D4-8F93-FE1B94DF8455.jpeg
    105.2 KB · Views: 165

Frank

Sasquatch
No ride today, I decided to assist the Mrs with our feast instead. After all, she’s been busting her ass trying to get me foods I can eat right now. Organic chicken it is.
88022EC2-350F-4544-A1D1-ED287DB00871.jpeg

I’m also enjoying a fire while guarded by my furballs......a most nice day to do so! it’s also good for me to rest up for a ride tomorrow.
ABB6B3F0-2C52-4A56-B2F5-A2170ED21358.jpeg
858136E9-67DC-4F80-B385-AAA0406A9FFE.jpeg

Frank

Sasquatch
Another good ride for me....got 8 in today which makes me happy but it was also hard after yesterday’s ride. Special treat was seeing @FFT and TJ in the lot and catching up. Today’s riding partner was my old friend @EMago who helped get into mtbing back in the day, and was ever so patient with my snails pace...thanks bro.

....and doesn’t anyone ride in other parks anymore???? The lot, the roadside, and every little access point was packed today. A lot of folks looking for dinosaurs today, I told them @Mitch was out earlier.😏
02F42710-A746-49D2-8840-0C9DE84D7DEE.jpeg
5D5A275D-AF1B-4F74-A485-7A6A5581686A.png

Frank

Sasquatch
Sunday was a recovery day...I was sore but happy. My usual Sunday involves spending time with my brother either brewing beer, shooting our guns, or shooting the shit. Yesterday was spent finishing a few shooting tables the.longest being at 250 yards...I'm gonna need a bigger target or scope.
IMG_20201129_134846_874.jpg

Tomorrow starts another round of chemo soni will not be riding for a few days :( but I will be back on the bike Friday...I hope.

Frank

Sasquatch
Well my chemo week ended yesterday and I met with an old friend today to do a ride...sadly the rain cut the ride short, but it felt great to feel like I had more in the tank....I feel I'm getting stronger!!! So thanks to Montclair Bobby B for making the trek out to Allaire to ride with me....good times!!!
Screenshot_20201204-154059_Strava.jpg
20201204_114052.jpg

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
I have no insperation, just wanted to tell you that it's awesome your back on the bike. I think this is the best therapy you can do.

Also, there's a lot of love and good energy heading your way from everyone on this forum. Whatever you believe, I think it helps.

It's great to see you smile again.

Count me in for a mid week morning ride if you want some company. I don't know the trails that well, but I think you still remember them. You haven't reached sinility yet.

Frank

Sasquatch
I have no insperation, just wanted to tell you that it's awesome your back on the bike. I think this is the best therapy you can do.

Also, there's a lot of love and good energy heading your way from everyone on this forum. Whatever you believe, I think it helps.

It's great to see you smile again.

Count me in for a mid week morning ride if you want some company. I don't know the trails that well, but I think you still remember them. You haven't reached sinility yet.
Mornings are tough right now but we will arrange something soon.

Top Bottom