A Wookies return.....

Well I certainly feel a difference between the Folfox and Folfury. Luckily the nasty side effects have not hit me, but boy am I tired. I feel like I rode a century yesterday and have nothing left to give. I started to feel a little light headed during my hood loops so I shortened my ride. Hopefully the next new drug Avastin, will not have the same effect or I may be sleeping 18hrs a day lol.
I’m annoyed at myself for hitting the end of my riding streak, I was doing so well but need to take it easy on myself because of the new meds. However, I am super stoked to see @Kaleidopete and @xtrpureguts keeping it going!!! I will be cheering these gents on and hope to reset my counter soon.
Love you brother, you'll be back....

Well I certainly feel a difference between the Folfox and Folfury. Luckily the nasty side effects have not hit me, but boy am I tired. I feel like I rode a century yesterday and have nothing left to give. I started to feel a little light headed during my hood loops so I shortened my ride. Hopefully the next new drug Avastin, will not have the same effect or I may be sleeping 18hrs a day lol.
I’m annoyed at myself for hitting the end of my riding streak, I was doing so well but need to take it easy on myself because of the new meds. However, I am super stoked to see @Kaleidopete and @xtrpureguts keeping it going!!! I will be cheering these gents on and hope to reset my counter soon.
Nothing wrong with some well deserved rest, especially for us former spring chickens…I just hopped back on the bike myself and it was tragic…

Today was a special one for two reasons 1) It was great to attend the Schilling ride and 2) I made it through the Schilling ride.
I met Chris Schilling many moons ago when he attended our Tuesday beginner rides. I recall he showed up in jeans and a tshirt, riding a clunker. Months went by and he was improving by leaps and bounds, was dressing more appropriately, and even started to give back doing tm. Soon enough he was fast and racing, an amazing transformation. But he was still the quiet humble guy I had met many months prior. I miss him.
I was very happy to be able to attend the ride considering I had just finished my chemo week yesterday. I was feeling weak and shakey but my friends kept a close eye on me….I’m very lucky. It did my heart good to finish the ride and see all those familiar faces. Now I need a nap.
So this new chemo seems to kick my ass a lot harder than the old regimen did, I need more sleep and I’m very tired all the time. I seem to recall feeling the same way during round one so I’m hopeful to adapt to this drug like I did the other. Next Monday I meet the doc to see how my markers are doing and will hear what he wants to do next. At least he’s got more stuff up his sleeve to help me kick this shit, or at least keep it at bay. Many people outside the cycling community ask how I keep a positive attitude during all this, I say it’s simple….I have hundreds of hands from the cycling community holding me up and keeping me happy. I’m truly blessed by you all.

Well after 2 sleepless nights, I went to see the doc today. I was concerned about the unknown with regard to my blood work, which was taken the week after my first week of the new chemo regimen. I guess I will sleep good tonight as my tumor markers dropped from 5K to 4K in just the first session. Now the part that excites me is the fact that the first week was at 80% strength, the second was at 90%, and tomorrow starts 100%........so I should really feel like crap this week, but at least it will be worthwhile.....I hope. So the doc is happy with my progress, and I'm happy as well, especially after today's meeting. Glad to be able to post something positive!!!

Well after 2 sleepless nights, I went to see the doc today. I was concerned about the unknown with regard to my blood work, which was taken the week after my first week of the new chemo regimen. I guess I will sleep good tonight as my tumor markers dropped from 5K to 4K in just the first session. Now the part that excites me is the fact that the first week was at 80% strength, the second was at 90%, and tomorrow starts 100%........so I should really feel like crap this week, but at least it will be worthwhile.....I hope. So the doc is happy with my progress, and I'm happy as well, especially after today's meeting. Glad to be able to post something positive!!!
You may feel like crap, but the big "C" is getting its ass whooped by the wookie! Enjoy the suck brother, just a few more intervals to go 💪

Great to see you report progress on the treatment and that you feel positive about it!

Forecasted Wookie sightings around the Ringwood area on Sunday 9/25...can you confirm?

What an event yesterday was! It was the first time I ventured farther north than Allaire in over 2 years….it took a lot out of me, I won’t lie, but it was worth it. I arrived and the first person I saw was @Mitch who got my chair out of the car and got me settled. He has had my back during my whole ordeal and I just love the guy. The Mrs says he’s her hero because anytime Mitch is around, she doesn’t have to worry about me.
Basically I spent the day between the two JORBA tents and got to hang out with great people. My dear friends @serviceguy, @onetracker, Mary Beth, and of course @KenS. Great to see the other Van Warts, @jmanic and all the other folk….just too many to list. It was such a good vibe which did my heart good…people riding bikes and the smiles were everywhere. These events are extremely valuable IMHO because they bring joy to peoples lives and provide an escape from ordinary, difficult lives. I can certainly relate. I will say it was weird that so many did not recognize me because of all the weight I lost, I don’t think I’ll ever get used to being called skinny.
I know I posted about it in the Fest thread, but I can’t thank @UtahJoe enough for the ride in the ‘Stang, I haven’t giggled like that in a long time and he even seemed to enjoy pushing me to that point. We had chatted back and forth about a ride in that car for a while and he chanced it getting rained on to fulfill a promise to give me a ride in it. Being a long time car lover, I really appreciated that he took that chance.
What else can I say but I had a great time and enjoyed chatting with so many. I wish we all wore name tags so we would know folk by their screen names.
I also want to give a shout out to @Kaleidopete for the Bigfoot hat and the other item with the Bigfoot on it. Now I need to investigate as to what that other item was and what it’s used for. Lol
It was also nice to get a visit from Mrs Service guy, Donna is a sweetheart and I really enjoyed our chat.
It was awesome to see so many mtbnj jerseys out there and I really appreciate their support for JORBA, NJ mtb is a tightly knit group and it was great to see them in force yesterday.
JORBA has kept moving forward and it makes me proud to see that. Yes, I’m no longer involved in it but it warms my heart to see @Bleeder keeping the ship on course. He does so much and doesn’t get the recognition he deserves, but then again he’s not in it for that….he just loves the sport.
I really appreciated Ken dragging me into helping recognize @Kirt for his hard work taking care of fulfillment for so many years, having done it myself I can relate to that task. But I was happy to say a few words to the group.
I would also like to mention that it was awesome meeting Christine, a true warrior!

But sadly, it’s back to my normal life. Today I am trying to recover from yesterday and move my mom in law to a new and closer facility. The Mrs will like having her closer and the added bonus is that she should be able to drive there by herself. Seems mom is more in touch with reality earlier in the day as apposed to near closing time when we visit in the evening. It’s my off week with regards to chemo, I will try to relax for the rest of the week.

Great seeing you yesterday too, I have no idea what that "other idem" is either! A souvenir from a foot race, it's use? I'm not a runner.

wookies "other idem" soft rubber. I got one for me too

Dsc09029.jpg
Dsc09030.jpg

Great to see you yesterday where you belong-
I assure you it meant as much to us as it did to you.
You may have passed the torch, but you'll always be synonymous with JORBA.

I'll see you soon for a pedal around that beach you call a park ;)

Today was a day I was dreading for a couple of months now, it was a new drug day. At the beginning of my latest regimen of chemo my oncologist wanted me to try another biologic which kind of freaked me out. Considering the last time we tried a biologic, I basically died. So I was very nervous since Tuesday when I authorized the use of this drug. I didn’t tell the wife because she didn’t want to chance it and I didn’t to have 2 days of lectures. But it came out last night and it was a quiet evening. I don’t blame her because she’s just worried, I know she loves me to the ends of the earth because she has demonstrated that fact over and over again during these last 2 years, especially considering that she took care of me before her own mother. So we said more goodbyes than normal this morning, both worried that it would be the last, and I went to the lab. There I was greeted by Rikki and Kevin who saved me when I crashed 2 years ago, and they watched over me…..especially Rikki who said “ no problems from you today”. I had to be on the phone with the Mrs when they started the infusion but instead I was talking with @mike_243 until I realized that I promised to talk to her to reassure her that I was ok. That had to be a lonely feeling for her. Luckily, I had no reaction (so far) but I will have to watch my blood pressure as this drug has a tendency to raise it, but the doc said I should be ok because I’m young and healthy……I asked if he was ok because I am neither, but he came back with you keep fit and are not 80. So today turned out ok after a frightening beginning, it’s hard to describe my emotions and I hope you never experience the same, but it was one of the hardest drives to the lab I have made to date.

Today was a day I was dreading for a couple of months now, it was a new drug day. At the beginning of my latest regimen of chemo my oncologist wanted me to try another biologic which kind of freaked me out. Considering the last time we tried a biologic, I basically died. So I was very nervous since Tuesday when I authorized the use of this drug. I didn’t tell the wife because she didn’t want to chance it and I didn’t to have 2 days of lectures. But it came out last night and it was a quiet evening. I don’t blame her because she’s just worried, I know she loves me to the ends of the earth because she has demonstrated that fact over and over again during these last 2 years, especially considering that she took care of me before her own mother. So we said more goodbyes than normal this morning, both worried that it would be the last, and I went to the lab. There I was greeted by Rikki and Kevin who saved me when I crashed 2 years ago, and they watched over me…..especially Rikki who said “ no problems from you today”. I had to be on the phone with the Mrs when they started the infusion but instead I was talking with @mike_243 until I realized that I promised to talk to her to reassure her that I was ok. That had to be a lonely feeling for her. Luckily, I had no reaction (so far) but I will have to watch my blood pressure as this drug has a tendency to raise it, but the doc said I should be ok because I’m young and healthy……I asked if he was ok because I am neither, but he came back with you keep fit and are not 80. So today turned out ok after a frightening beginning, it’s hard to describe my emotions and I hope you never experience the same, but it was one of the hardest drives to the lab I have made to date.
Good to see you're still here..

Yep, and I need more lessons on how to swing that sweet pulansky as I don’t get to practice with it up here. Glad you were able to switch to the new med and not have serious reactions.
Actually, it’s an additional med. My numbers are dropping and he wants to slam them, which I am all for, but I need to monitor my BP and watch for other symptoms. He said bleeding could be an issue but told me not to stop doing things, just don’t go crazy which I haven’t done since having the port installed in my chest. I always fear that I will hit a tree and do the sprinkler. 😲

Back
Top Bottom