9/30 - Tymor Park Challenge

I've tried the "one by one" method and it works miserably for me. I like firing off the line.

It's hard to not race this course "sight unseen" since it's aparently closed for bikes other than this race?

Sean - do you warm up at all?

spent an hour chatting in between pedalling around before the rumble. i linked to it in my blog. i have no idea if it was adequate or not. before allamuchy, i spun around the parking lot for about 20 minutes, same at churn & burn last year.

Hard to say from that link. I've started taking warmup a little more serious in the past 2 weeks and I think it makes a difference. I've make sure I hit some red-line efforts in the warmup, after 15-20 minutes of just getting the legs warm - for a long warmup like a race day at least. I think if you warm-up in terms of just riding around to get warm, you're still going to start cold when those guys up front go off at the gun. For me, I've found that I need at least 30 minutes with some high-end efforts thrown in.

I think it's much different for an enduro versus an XC race though.

yeah, i never came close to my top end during the warm up. nerves were getting to me a bit too for the start and first lap. also, right off the line, all moisture instantly dissappeared from my mouth and i felt like i desperately needed to take a drink from my bottle. everyone was sprinting though. is that normal?

Sounds like nerves got the best of you. Even in my blow-it-out start I didn't get the dry mouth feeling (which I have experienced before but I cannot remember where). That's just absolutely the worst. Did you have pretty big expectations for this race?

i was expecting to finish, which would be my first xc finish in ten years and my first ever expert finish.

Jeez, who let you into that party anyway :D

Yeah then you were probably nervous about it like you said. I think the next race will go much smoother in that regard. Or maybe the one after that, who knows. I seem to remember it happening to me more than once but I don't remember when or why. It's not like I've raced much XC (or anything) at all in my life.

yeah tymor i'll probably be nervous about not being nervous.... :rolleyes: maybe the overhydration was partly to blame for the parched mouth at the start. i dunno.

You didn't miss me yesterday. I was at a wedding unfortunately. I would have LOVED to race at that place but priorities took over. That place is my home turf!
Was your date hot at least?

I chewed a nice fat piece of bubble yum the whole race. It helps keep the juices flowing. I tend to spit alot which drys my mouth. I learned this in HS when i ran XC.

I chewed a nice fat piece of bubble yum the whole race. It helps keep the juices flowing. I tend to spit alot which drys my mouth. I learned this in HS when i ran XC.

that's an interesting idea fred! i love bubble yum. i could see it giving me a headache though over a two hour race. maybe i could just use it for the first half of the first lap. i don't spit i drool while racing. it's uber attractive.

Gum while racing? Somehow I'm thinking this is probably a bad idea. Maybe I'm just not coordinated enough but I'm taking in so much air during the race that within the first mile I'm sure I'd inhale it and give the medics some work.

I'm a gum-boy as well. I breathe and chew along with my cadence on the hills. Works just dandy for me.

This is kinda far for me, any one know any local hotels to stay?

Gum while racing? Somehow I'm thinking this is probably a bad idea. Maybe I'm just not coordinated enough but I'm taking in so much air during the race that within the first mile I'm sure I'd inhale it and give the medics some work.

I rolled up to ChuckE as I finished and was baffled how i was chewing gum while racing. I have been chewing gum while playing sports for a long time i never really thought of choking. :hmmm:

Sean if you wanted you could stick another piece under your shorts. It may be a bit soggy tho...ewww

I've never been to Tymor- what do I have to look forward to? I've heard only about this infamous hill. think beginner.....

and I am impressed by the gum chewing while biking.

This site is great btw! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
In previous years, I remember a shortened course for the beginners, omitting the big hill. I thought I heard new single track to replace the big fire road climb. So not sure if beginners do that.

In previous years, I remember a shortened course for the beginners, omitting the big hill. I thought I heard new single track to replace the big fire road climb. So not sure if beginners do that.
how great would it be if I didnt have to walk up the big hill! thx!!

Back
Top Bottom