9/30 - Tymor Park Challenge

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This one's not exactly local. H2H series race #8:
http://www.bikereg.com/events/register.asp?eventid=5311

For those of you who have done this course before, what is it like? I see sport starting an hour after beginner which suggests it's a fast course. Is that accurate? Grossly inaccurate? I'm on the fence with this one so any info anyone can provide is greatly appreciated.

BiknBen

For those of you who have done this course before, what is it like?

I've done it but it was a number of years ago. I don't have a vivid memory of it but recall that it was very similar to Ringwood and such. Well worn trails, with a mix of rocks and roots. An average amount of climbing.

I do recall that there is a playground, canopy, and other facilities at the start/finish area. This could be a nice family opportunity for some.

xc62701

This one's not exactly local. H2H series race #8:
http://www.bikereg.com/events/register.asp?eventid=5311

For those of you who have done this course before, what is it like? I see sport starting an hour after beginner which suggests it's a fast course. Is that accurate? Grossly inaccurate? I'm on the fence with this one so any info anyone can provide is greatly appreciated.

If it's similar to last year it's pretty much one HUGE hill and then tons of fast flowy awesome singletrack. Some short climbs and techy sections but mostly just nice enjoyable stuff. I'd recommend getting to this race.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
I do recall that there is a playground, canopy, and other facilities at the start/finish area. This could be a nice family opportunity for some.

Yep, except it's 90 min away for most of us. I doubt I'm making this one but if I wake up Sunday morning and the birds are chirping...

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Tried to find results from last year online. I mean you can find 146 matches on a search for "yak sperm" (in quotes) but you can't find race results from 2006 anywhere. What gives?

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Does anyone live in the Piscataway/New Brunswick area? This one is really far so if anyone would be down for carpooling that would be awesome!!

-Jim.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
Tried to find results from last year online. I mean you can find 146 matches on a search for "yak sperm" (in quotes) but you can't find race results from 2006 anywhere. What gives?

yeah but did you know that:
"China has opened the world's first sperm bank for
yaks in Tibet, with the first semen due to be available to female
yaks on the roof of the world next year"

...way more interesting than some boring mountain bike race results :D

xc62701

Thanks Ryan. I seem to have missed you again yesterday.

You didn't miss me yesterday. I was at a wedding unfortunately. I would have LOVED to race at that place but priorities took over. That place is my home turf!

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Tymor is pretty close to the beer store of your dreams, if that sways your decision at all. Google says it's only about 14 miles between the two. And after a tough race like Tymor, you'd owe it to yourself to quench that thirst with a selection from their stock of 1800 different beers...

Tough race eh? From the sounds of it they change the course every year? What's your take on that place in general?

Trust me the beer store certainly is in the back of my mind.

You didn't miss me yesterday. I was at a wedding unfortunately. I would have LOVED to race at that place but priorities took over. That place is my home turf!

Well next time - perhaps this weekend but I'm undecided right now. It's just such a long drive and I have nothing riding on the series. OTOH, this experience is pretty valuable for me if I'm going to do the series next year (which I plan on). The pre-riding I did on the JH course was invaluable. I think that may have had something to do with the low turnout. A lot of people don't like the unknown. And I heard a lot of people saying before the race that if you hadn't pre-ridden you would hate it. I wonder if the tight course caused a lot of the casual riders to not ride.

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
Tough race eh? From the sounds of it they change the course every year? What's your take on that place in general?

I did the Tymor race two years ago, and the conditions couldn't have been worse- 95 degrees and 100% humidity. It was hot early in the morning, and kept getting hotter as the day went on. Thank goodness there was a hose at the start/finish- everyone took a cool-off shower at the end.

The course is fun- tough climbing, for sure, but nice diverse trails. It's very scenic, passing from typical rocky forest trails through bucolic Hudson Valley rolling pasture over a bridge and creek into a pine forest for a stint, then back across the pasture and up up up. Nice, all-around course with a good mix of technical and aerobic challenge...

xc62701

Well next time - perhaps this weekend but I'm undecided right now. It's just such a long drive and I have nothing riding on the series. OTOH, this experience is pretty valuable for me if I'm going to do the series next year (which I plan on).

Yea I'll be there for sure. I'm only missing one race this year and last weekend was it. Tymor was a lot of fun last year and even though it doesn't play to my strengths I'm in it for the series. I'm fighting for 4th or 5th overall in my class. I need to really get a couple of good finishes at Tymor and Ringwood. Ringwood is more my style, actually JH was more my style too dang it!

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
I have done the Tymor race a bunch of times and although it changes each time, it is always a fun course with variety. It is usually more demanding in climbing than overall technical challenge. I can remeber one time pre-riding a lap and then racing 3 more and ending up with 6000 ft of climbing. I think I was sound asleep in the car before we got onto the highway going home. Good thing I wasn't driving!;)

The way I look at it, is that this place is only open to ride race weekend, so worthwhile to race and check it out. I hear there is some new single track too !!

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The way I look at it, is that this place is only open to ride race weekend, so worthwhile to race and check it out. I hear there is some new single track too !!

Is that right? I had no idea. Decisions, decisions...

anrothar

entirely thrilled
my legs feel fine today. i'm gonna do this. i'm also up for joining in on a carpool if the option is available. i'll chip in $ for gas. my rear suspension doesn't like more than me and maybe one other person, so i'd prefer to carpool with someone else. :eek:

Wazu

Not the kind of course to do sight unseen. Major climbing start....fast sprinters will die quickly. I crashed on the first lap and lost my shorts to boot. I crossed the finish line bloody bruised beaten and almost naked. For those of you who may have remembered it, I was "that guy". Don't blow your load early there. It's easy to do. Let everyone dart away and pick them off one by one, especially if you have a long race.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
that sorta plays in my favor, since i apparently suck off the gun, wait no, that doesn't sound right, since i'm apparently not a very good sprinter???

Wazu

You have a way with words that makes me laugh often dude. And you also have some great posts......definately entertaining!

Top Bottom