6 Mile Run Conditions

rick81721

Lothar
I’m not experienced by any means but six mile is near and dear to my heart it’s a three min drive from my home. We started mtb recently and this past summer it has been wild I really appreciate the experienced riders and how polite they are offering to help us and all the patience. I know to get the hell out of the way and avoid when muddy. Today there were dogs being dragged on mountain bikes, e bikes, parking where it is not allowed, garbage in the park, people without helmets. I truly love the sport it has done so much for me and I don’t want 6mr ruined esp in these upcoming months when people don’t know the freeze/thaw issues. Do you think it will calm down?

Yeah I used to live 6 miles away and would ride there. It will calm down when it freezes and Temps stay below freezing for days

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I’m not experienced by any means but six mile is near and dear to my heart it’s a three min drive from my home. We started mtb recently and this past summer it has been wild I really appreciate the experienced riders and how polite they are offering to help us and all the patience. I know to get the hell out of the way and avoid when muddy. Today there were dogs being dragged on mountain bikes, e bikes, parking where it is not allowed, garbage in the park, people without helmets. I truly love the sport it has done so much for me and I don’t want 6mr ruined esp in these upcoming months when people don’t know the freeze/thaw issues. Do you think it will calm down?

Welcome to the site (sorry, i don't remember you posting before - too lazy to look up), and thanks for the update.

The park is getting beat-up, but there are 1,000s of people enjoying it with respect.
I'll choose to focus on them, and keep doing what we do.
Keep the faith. While I think there will be an uptick in usage - i do believe the people left
will be the good ones.

Nolabean

It
Yeah I used to live 6 miles away and would ride there. It will calm down when it freezes and Temps stay below freezing for days
Yeah it’s so convenient and these guys maintain it well. I’ll try other places more often esp with the winter coming I have to.. but it’s hard when it’s this close lol

GTCHAMPION1

Welcome to the site (sorry, i don't remember you posting before - too lazy to look up), and thanks for the update.

The park is getting beat-up, but there are 1,000s of people enjoying it with respect.
I'll choose to focus on them, and keep doing what we do.
Keep the faith. While I think there will be an uptick in usage - i do believe the people left
will be the good ones.
We need a NJ dedicated YouTube channel to educate the community about mountain biking, just like GMBN ...there is a slight risk that will make parks overcrowded and of course many people don't care and will litter anyways, but there is a chance people will understand more about the care our trails need. But like I said, many people don't care and purposely pollute or litter our parks just because they too lazy to carry their own garbage and plastic bottles back to their car, since the have the desperation to be at the trail they will park anywhere they want because the have a lack of respect for the rest of the community and the State.

Last edited:

NJ Gator

I was one of the chumps today! 🤪 Great conditions! There was an e-bike that was damn close to a motorbike right off the canal lot. Even had a drone chasing him (I guess). Really hope it didn’t cause any issues with hikers who were all over that section enjoying this beautiful weather. So grateful to have Six Mile! I am one of those folks who live within 10 minutes of the park!

NJ Gator

That being said I really really to start supporting trail maintenance... not proud to admit I haven’t been too proactive

Morrisd

the edith stevens preserve...hit me up if you ever want a tour

Okay. I have ridden there before! Live 5 minutes from my house by bike. I drop in from the train tracks on Tingley.
Do you know a netter place to drop in from? Also I am inclined to do some maintenance there. As the trails are poorly marked. And covered with leaves.

Morrisd

Also, I was at 6mr today, after 930 am it becomes a sh*t show. Had to jump onto the street and return to parking lot to leave. Way to many people with zero trail courtesy. I’m all for advancing the sport, but I will be the first to say that in the near future there will be a lot of high end mountain bikes on CL/ FBMP! Lol.

pygmypony

Okay. I have ridden there before! Live 5 minutes from my house by bike. I drop in from the train tracks on Tingley.
Do you know a netter place to drop in from? Also I am inclined to do some maintenance there. As the trails are poorly marked. And covered with leaves.
train tracks work...you can also enter from petti lane or hayduk. we would welcome any help we can get in terms of maintenance. it takes a village. every month or so we do an organized trail maintenance session. DM me your email and i can put you on the list. trail markers are coming....

Morrisd

train tracks work...you can also enter from petti lane or hayduk. we would welcome any help we can get in terms of maintenance. it takes a village. every month or so we do an organized trail maintenance session. DM me your email and i can put you on the list. trail markers are coming....
PM sent! Very interested in helping with trail maintenance!
Thanks.

Reactions: Tim

JPark

We need a NJ dedicated YouTube channel to educate the community about mountain biking, just like GMBN ...there is a slight risk that will make parks overcrowded and of course many people don't care and will litter anyways, but there is a chance people will understand more about the care our trails need. But like I said, many people don't care and purposely pollute or litter our parks just because they too lazy to carry their own garbage and plastic bottles back to their car, since the have the desperation to be at the trail they will park anywhere they want because the have a lack of respect for the rest of the community and the State.
I'm a professional videographer so I could help put together such a video. Due to covid I actually have some free time now.

Patrick

Staff member
Last nights moisture was def present on the surface this morning at 9:00.
Not enough to create slime, but there.

Couple hours of TM.

Solid progress! :D
@jdog contemplating his next move.

1605031516700.png

It looks bad, but it was a swimming hole a couple days ago. Added more dirt today,
gave the standing water off the left side a place to go. Should be ready next year.
also some other improvements between South Middlebush and the first bridge.
Might be more to come over the winter - stay tuned.

On a disappointing note, someone knocked the gate down at 77 Blackwells Mills - this was the site
of the sting operation for the illegal dumping a couple years back. Some garbage dumped right at the gate, and
some farther back. Did a WARN-DEP report on it.

about 20% of what is dumped there
1605031781644.png

ekuhn

Couple hours of TM.

View attachment 143113

It looks bad, but it was a swimming hole a couple days ago. Added more dirt today,
gave the standing water off the left side a place to go. Should be ready next year.

On a disappointing note, someone knocked the gate down at 77 Blackwells Mills - this was the site
of the sting operation for the illegal dumping a couple years back. Some garbage dumped right at the gate, and

View attachment 143114
Thumbs up on the work. I'd be nice to drain that right to the creek!

Thumbs down / sad face on the trash that was dumped.

JPark

Couple hours of TM.

View attachment 143113

View attachment 143114
If you guys are doing more work this week I can help, if you're looking for volunteers.

NJ Gator

Holy CCCCRRRAP was that this AM? I rode Fri, Sat and Sunday and I cannot recall it being that bad before a bridge! The only spot I thought was approaching that degree was the Orange trail the spot Madison Dave pointed out. Where is that bridge? Part of the NICA course?

blackburn1973

Couple hours of TM.

View attachment 143113

View attachment 143114

Came by when @jdog was just finishing up the berm on red after the mud bog and chatted for a bit. Think I saw you, @Patrick, on the return trip. You all are doing some great work! The new stuff before the red/orange split on 27 side and the stuff before S Middlebush is sweet.

Patrick

Staff member
Holy CCCCRRRAP was that this AM? I rode Fri, Sat and Sunday and I cannot recall it being that bad before a bridge! The only spot I thought was approaching that degree was the Orange trail the spot Madison Dave pointed out. Where is that bridge? Part of the NICA course?

first bridge east of south middlebush - the @soulchild Memorial Bridge.

it was a puddle of water, which now has a way out - unfortunately, all the dirt in the area is mud!
will harden, if it isn't washed away first.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions