6 Mile Run Conditions

SAV1970

Concerned about the number of riders on the trail not wearing a helmet. A few times I have said something and I get a nasty look

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Darwinism will get rid of those people over time
I unfortunately don’t see it this way.

More likely a death here would draw significant scrutiny to the park in a way that could be threatening to the future of this system.

I have no problem chatting with helmet-less riders about this topic. I offer that I am more concerned about the longevity of this park system than their personal health. I’m in a unique position where I offer them a discount on a helmet if they come see me at my shop. I’ve converted a few and in fact I’ve been thanked a few times after the recently converted smashed a helmet.

I’ll comfortably offer ten percent (or better) off a helmet ⛑ to anyone you send my way.

Becks

I unfortunately don’t see it this way.

More likely a death here would draw significant scrutiny to the park in a way that could be threatening to the future of this system.

I'm not too sure about that. The scrutiny would be entirely related to the death itself and the location (for informational purposes). I do not think it would negatively impact the park or the sport as a whole. If anything, it would bring to light the importance of wearing a bicycle helmet regardless of where one rides. It is awesome that you speak to these riders (as I do) and you offer a discount to protect their future thinking process. Kudos to you !

kidzach

I'm not too sure about that. The scrutiny would be entirely related to the death itself and the location (for informational purposes). I do not think it would negatively impact the park or the sport as a whole. If anything, it would bring to light the importance of wearing a bicycle helmet regardless of where one rides. It is awesome that you speak to these riders (as I do) and you offer a discount to protect their future thinking process. Kudos to you !
I disagree . The world we live in is reactionary and blaming. If someone gets critically injured at a popular place like Six Mile, they might first look into shutting it down. They will then look into why it should be reopened. Somebody gets airlifted out of Allamuchy won't garner near as much attention.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I disagree . The world we live in is reactionary and blaming. If someone gets critically injured at a popular place like Six Mile, they might first look into shutting it down. They will then look into why it should be reopened. Somebody gets airlifted out of Allamuchy won't garner near as much attention.
Bingo!

JPark

Ski resorts have fatalities all the time and the remain open.
Mt. Creek bike park lives up to it's legacy of Traction Park with it's always crowded first-aid station.
I think most people understand there is risk involved in certain sports. The only time these parks are held liable is when there is faulty infrastructure.

The biggest threat to 6MR being closed is an accident due to faulty infrastructure or trail design/maintenance.
If one of those wooden bridges collapsed and a rider got hurt that could be a media firestorm.
If a hiker got injured by a MTBer speeding around a corner, that would also be a terrible scenario that would have me worried.

Hopefully everyone stays safe while riding and this is all just a moot point!

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Ski resorts have fatalities all the time and the remain open.
Mt. Creek bike park lives up to it's legacy of Traction Park with it's always crowded first-aid station.
I think most people understand there is risk involved in certain sports. The only time these parks are held liable is when there is faulty infrastructure.

The biggest threat to 6MR being closed is an accident due to faulty infrastructure or trail design/maintenance.
If one of those wooden bridges collapsed and a rider got hurt that could be a media firestorm.
If a hiker got injured by a MTBer speeding around a corner, that would also be a terrible scenario that would have me worried.

Hopefully everyone stays safe while riding and this is all just a moot point!

How much of that $100 lift ticket goes to insurance? Despite the disclaimer on the lift ticket that says they are not responsible, they still know everyone will sue them for every injury. What's the State's incentive to keep the park open when someone's family sues because daddy was too cool to wear a helmet and killed himself?

mtn

How much of that $100 lift ticket goes to insurance? Despite the disclaimer on the lift ticket that says they are not responsible, they still know everyone will sue them for every injury. What's the State's incentive to keep the park open when someone's family sues because daddy was too cool to wear a helmet and killed himself?

$100 lift ticket?

mtn

Do you ski or board? I haven’t been to mountain creek in 15 years, but most places are $100 or way more on the weekends these days.
If you don’t have an Epic or Icon pass prepare yo pay.

I bike and have owned a season pass at MCBP for 4 years. Day passes have been between $30 and $50.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Mountain Creek has lawyers and a business model.

Six Mile has county employees who have better things to do than deal with some frivolous lawsuits when they can just stop having people ride bicycles in the woods.
Six mile is a state park, under D&R.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
JFC this is a conditions thread.

334f3903-621b-46ad-913d-0f77768ec449_text.gif

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions