27.5 plus

Glenn Rides After 4 PM CST

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Blew up my RS recon fork.
Some internal problem in the damper cartridge.
It sounds like your tapping a hammer on a rock.
LBS sent it back to Rockshox.

And removed and sold plus wheels.
My Dragonslayer rides so much better as SS 29er.
IMO

grilledcheeseking

Blew up my RS recon fork.
Some internal problem in the damper cartridge.
It sounds like your tapping a hammer on a rock.
LBS sent it back to Rockshox.

And removed and sold plus wheels.
My Dragonslayer rides so much better as SS 29er.
IMO
That was a quick experiment. You going to stick with replacement fork or try something else?

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Nobody on the mid-fat stumpy? Too squishy?

I rented the Stumpjumper 6Fattie last time I was in Moab, and again at Bootleg Canyon a few months ago. I'm a huge fan of the bike, and will probably own something like that as my next bike.

Jeb

I rented the Stumpjumper 6Fattie last time I was in Moab, and again at Bootleg Canyon a few months ago. I'm a huge fan of the bike, and will probably own something like that as my next bike.
Creek is selling off their veeeerrry lightly rented fleet for $2k each. Definitely grabbing one - I've found myself having a real hoot on those things!

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
You guys are behind the times. 27+ is so last year, this year we're back to 29" long-travel bikes. Next year, 29+, so be proactive, go 29+.

qclabrat

from the folks whom I value their opinions, almost all have ditched their plus wheels
I'm close to believing as well that 2.4 is the biggest I'll need for riding in NJ

if that's the case why would you need a boost rear for 27.5 wheels?
people are still dumping their 142s

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
from the folks whom I value their opinions, almost all have ditched their plus wheels
I'm close to believing as well that 2.4 is the biggest I'll need for riding in NJ

if that's the case why would you need a boost rear for 27.5 wheels?
people are still dumping their 142s

That’s easy, so you’re forced to buy a new bike with new components instead of just buying a new frame and switching your parts over.

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
Based on my unprofessional testing, if you want to ride recreationally, cruise the trails at a diesel pace vs. sprint without getting beat up, then a plus sized tire may be for you. If you plan on blitzing descents and technical sections, hitting jumps and drops, cornering at mach-stupid, then plus is probably not the best choice. I think that tire size depends on how you plan on riding more than what is appropriate for the trails around here.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Based on my unprofessional testing, if you want to ride recreationally, cruise the trails at a diesel pace vs. sprint without getting beat up, then a plus sized tire may be for you. If you plan on blitzing descents and technical sections, hitting jumps and drops, cornering at mach-stupid, then plus is probably not the best choice. I think that tire size depends on how you plan on riding more than what is appropriate for the trails around here.

My experience is wildly different than this. The fastest time i've recorded both up and down have been on 27 x 2.8" tires. This is a great time to be alive. Literally more options than you could ever have a chance to ride and experience. I'll add the caveat that carbon wheels really complete the 27+ experience and that without them it's a lesser animal. I rode 29ers for ten years and much of it on a longer travel 29er. Just a few rides in California on 27+ and I was convinced to give up the much loved 29er wheel.

That being said, we may watch as the lines blur and 27 x 2.6" becomes more of a the standard fare. I have a good friend who works at Schwalbe and he says all the OEMs are betting heavily on 2.6" for 2018.

What we are seeing is:

-if you are racing xc = 29 x 2.2 - 2.3ish
-Just playing and having fun (mostly w/o a number on your bike) 27x 2.8" - 3.0"
-Drive a hummer or Jeep or just love attention 26 x 4"-5"
-love to jump more than pedal 27 x 2.3" - 2.5"
-eyeing the bike packing thing 29 x 3.0

This is of course a wild generalization and results may vary.

I can say that at the demo events I've worked, the biggest smiles and positive responses come from 27x2.8".

All this means is that you should demo a bunch of stuff and make up your own mind as to what you love, like or hate.

alex_k

I love those 2.6 - definitely don't need anything bigger. Good going up and down: https://www.strava.com/activities/964809059

IMG_0106.JPG

qclabrat

when I first started riding just a few years ago, the 27.5 was replacing the 26 and 29s were the general fashion. The XC decision tree only had two branches, hardtail or full squish.

Since then, they've widened the rear spacing twice and given us larger tires in 0.2" increments. Each time making some parts on last year's bikes insignificant. Looks I'll need to demo a bunch of stuff to dial in what's best for me. I originally was hung up on linkages but before that I'm going to have to figure out this tire thing first.

RSAmerica

My experience is wildly different than this. The fastest time i've recorded both up and down have been on 27 x 2.8" tires. This is a great time to be alive. Literally more options than you could ever have a chance to ride and experience. I'll add the caveat that carbon wheels really complete the 27+ experience and that without them it's a lesser animal. I rode 29ers for ten years and much of it on a longer travel 29er. Just a few rides in California on 27+ and I was convinced to ... snip

This has been my experience to with both of my plus bikes one a hardtail the other a FS. If you dial in these bikes with 2.8 tires, carbon wheels and a light weight builds they rip.

Top Bottom