23-24 Ski and Snowboard thread

I feel like the Epic/Ikon model has turned these mtns into Disney Land. Long lines, tracked trails (including the woods), expensive food and parking and just an overall amusement park level of entertainment. Which is probably fine for most people but not the magic it once was.
I hear ya, but i'm going to ski over 10 days this year(hopefully, that's what's planned, haven't been out yet!) and my lift tickets will be $75-$80/day with epic local pass. it could have been $65/ a day for 10 days if I could have committed earlier. Lift tickets out at the big name mountains we all know have been over $100 on a weekend for a long time and the food has always been ridiculous. I tend to ski mid-week/non-holiday, and have been doing that for 25 years because of the weekend lift lines. I had the epic going back to 2006 and then did the ikon for a bunch of years.

You're absolutely right, there are definitely more people out there, maybe skiing is just easier than it used to be? The skis make everything so much better, and the fat skis make everybody decent on 3-5" of new snow. That amount used to crush people into quitting earlier. I was thinking of going to powder mountain for a day when i go to park city for a week in Feb. I looked at the tickets, $229! I won't be going. They can't be getting any day people over there, place must be empty. I haven't been to stowe since 2018, but I will definitely head up there in late march early April, if they have coverage.

If it stays snow up there, i think Tuesday will great at stowe. Let us know about the lift lines, i'm guessing not much on a tuesday after MLK weekend.

Yes, if everyone stays home… the lines will be shorter. Thanks!

I’ve got 10 days in and can’t recall one line more than 5 minutes.

I know most people can't travel with no notice, but if you can, next week will be amazing in Utah. Use those miles and points and get a flight.

Reactions: don
Anyone been to the indoor ski place at the American dream mall in east rutherford ? In theory it sounds like the perfect place to teach the kids cost wise got 6 two hour passes for 99 bucks. The reality is their attention span will be about 2 hours anyway and there's no point paying 100+ bucks or more for a day pass at blue or camelback to stay in the school yard. Obviously the proximity to NYC will make things interesting but besides that I'm hopeful for a good experience.
Ive been a few times with my niece and nephew. They wanted to ski on summer break. It can get old after an hour, but they limit the tickets so it is never busy. You ride right onto the lift and take the same run over and over. I think it is a great place to learn the basics without dealing with wind/extreme cold. Rent everything you need including a jacket/pants.

Ive been a few times with my niece and nephew. They wanted to ski on summer break. It can get old after an hour, but they limit the tickets so it is never busy. You ride right onto the lift and take the same run over and over. I think it is a great place to learn the basics without dealing with wind/extreme cold. Rent everything you need including a jacket/pants.
Perfect thanks for the info

Sugarbush on Sunday

Original plan was leave Friday after work, ski both days and take the kid back to school on Monday. Well, with getting the flu and the forecast, we decided to leave Saturday afternoon, and just ski Sunday. May or may not been the right decision as far as skiing goes. Mountain froze over and Sunday was firm to say the least. Still enjoyed it of course and had some killer snow squalls, and no lines!. Talking to some people on the lift they said Saturday was possibly the best day of the year so far.

IMG_3310.jpeg

IMG_3312.png

IMG_3309.jpeg

Last edited:
Sugarbush on Sunday

Original plan was leave Friday after work, ski both days and take the kid back to school on Monday. Well, with getting the flu and the forecast, we decided to leave Saturday afternoon, and just ski Sunday. May or may not been the right decision as far as skiing goes. Mountain froze over and Sunday was firm to say the least. Still enjoyed it of course and had some killer snow squalls, and no lines!. Talking to some people on the lift they said Saturday was possibly the best day of the year so far.

View attachment 231108

View attachment 231109

View attachment 231110
Still dont get the need for gates here. You cant get there without taking a lower lift and it is a longer walk than you realize from the base.

Still dont get the need for gates here. You cant get there without taking a lower lift and it is a longer walk than you realize from the base.
Yeah, doesn't make much sense really. Maybe they use it to count rides per day?
At Sunshine in Banff you're only scanned once at the base gondola and that's it for the day.

Do they sella limited/beginner pass? Doesn't include up top?

Yeah, doesn't make much sense really. Maybe they use it to count rides per day?
At Sunshine in Banff you're only scanned once at the base gondola and that's it for the day.
People would for sure skin up to this spot and lap the shit out of it.

I’m also sure they like to know how many people ride each lift each day.

Just clicked on Blue to check the webcam. Popup said all lift tickets for today are sold out. That's gotta be a shitshow. Never I have seen that before, this isn't Deer Valley.

We went to Blue today. Started skiing around 3:00. Waited in lift lines no more than 10 minutes. We did stay far left (Comet).

Took a break for dinner and 1 of the kids bowed out due to a pretty bad cold + a fairly solid crash. So we didn't get to cash in on the lighter volume time. But it was still fine.

In total we spent $8 on 2 hot chocolates. 4 people for 12 total hours at $8 total. Not bad.

Conditions were about as ok as you can get here. Some snow hiding on top of the copious amounts of ice.

There are far worse things that you can do with a Saturday night.

If you can stand the cold and crappy light, night skiing/riding at Blue is a nice option. I used to do it a bunch in college (Lehigh U) because it was only 30min away and student lift tickets were like $12 for 5-10pm. Confession - I even snuck on the mountain for free a few times. Then I'd go back to school and booze/party for a few hours. Probably went on a sweet MTB ride on campus the next day too. Ah, those were the days.

Reactions: don
People would for sure skin up to this spot and lap the shit out of it.

I’m also sure they like to know how many people ride each lift each day.
Oh for sure, we did it when I lived there. But they never checked passes before Alterra. It’s a 35-40 min skin, if you earn it have at it. It’s prob just a numbers thing.

Days 19 and 20 of the season this past weekend. Single digit temps and 20mph winds played havoc with the summit lifts forcing the crowds into the lodges and onto the bubble lifts (when actually running). Considering okemo was hosting a park comp and race over the weekend, no real lines to speak of even with the summit lifts "on-hold". Always fun to hear people complain about windblown boilerplate on the groomers. Just need to follow the wind to find pillowy soft wind blown drifts in the glades. Good weekend, although the toes eventually got cold.

Back
Top Bottom