21-22 Ski/Snowboard thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
So I picked up used skis for my kid and I. What’s the voodoo in binding tension setup? Seems pretty straightforward but Camelback made it sound like you’ll rip off a leg, maybe it’s that the liability is really high. Plan is to set tension on the low side and work from there unless someone says I’ll put my eye out, kid.
TIA!

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
So I picked up used skis for my kid and I. What’s the voodoo in binding tension setup? Seems pretty straightforward but Camelback made it sound like you’ll rip off a leg, maybe it’s that the liability is really high. Plan is to set tension on the low side and work from there unless someone says I’ll put my eye out, kid.
TIA!
You should be able to find the settings for weight and skill. There is also a boot length adjustment. Usually a little window where there is a registration mark to get the tension right.
Should get snowboards 😉

Reactions: don

kearneyb

DIN settings are standard. Just need measurements, age and ability and lookup table or online calculator. Set the DIN as prescribed in the table for your ability. Plenty of online guides.

Tech may been selling you on a binding release test to make sure the binding releases at the correct torque. If the binding doesn’t release properly there goes your acl, pcl, lcl and/or meniscus. Had my kids in lots of used gear when they were younger. Personally $20 is cheap insurance to make sure a used binding releases properly. Don’t believe there is a DIY release test. Maybe something with a mannequin foot attached to a torque wrench.

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
DIN settings are standard. Just need measurements, age and ability and lookup table or online calculator. Set the DIN as prescribed in the table for your ability. Plenty of online guides.

Tech may been selling you on a binding release test to make sure the binding releases at the correct torque. If the binding doesn’t release properly there goes your acl, pcl, lcl and/or meniscus. Had my kids in lots of used gear when they were younger. Personally $20 is cheap insurance to make sure a used binding releases properly. Don’t believe there is a DIY release test. Maybe something with a mannequin foot attached to a torque wrench.
This sounds perfectly reasonable. Thx all!

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
You should be able to find the settings for weight and skill. There is also a boot length adjustment. Usually a little window where there is a registration mark to get the tension right.
Should get snowboards 😉
I do ride and she wants to try it one day. It’s just easier for me to be on skis with her for now.

Patrick

Staff member

Patrick

Staff member
I would love a timeline of resort ownership. Now that we're down to basically Alterra, Vail, and like 10 "indy resorts".

The Colorado price wars in Summit and Vail counties were great. First they were independent and aligned for the ski the summit discount to counter Vail/Beaver Creek.
Then copper, Breck, and A basin aligned against keystone cause Vail purchased them. Intrawest came in, and it seemed good. Then Vail purchased Breck.

It really would be interesting to have it as a picture. Before we owned property, we'd buy our lift Tix at Safeway down in Castle Rock. Like 1/3 the price.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Forgot about that connection with how many times Creek has changed hands. They both used to be Intrawest I believe(?). That village they had planned for Creek would've been pretty nice I'm sure if Stratton is any indication.

Like the Canyons....back when I lived in Park City....it was Park west...went out of business, then wolf mountain...went out of business...Then of course when it because the canyons they made it fancy with hotels and new lifts....ALL lift chairs at the canyons looked like this when I lived there.... :)
1643118573826.png

The canyons was always the "dirt" ski hill to us compared to PC, solitude, brighton, snowbird, alta, even deer valley......Only reason you went there was that is was SOOOO cheap...or you were a snowboarder bc they allowed snowboarders back then....some weekdays it would be under $10. But the snow was meh compared to the other mountains.....So what im getting at.....in reality I am probably the weirdo skier.....Most people probably dont care about the terrain or conditions...just nice lifts, nice hotel, nice lodges/restaurants, alot of groomers, etc. So like with the canyons, you can take an otherwise bland mountain (at least compared to its surrounding resorts) and fancy it up....people now love it. Give me Alta or Mad river all day. :)

Captain Brainstorm

Like the Canyons....back when I lived in Park City....it was Park west...went out of business, then wolf mountain...went out of business...Then of course when it because the canyons they made it fancy with hotels and new lifts....ALL lift chairs at the canyons looked like this when I lived there.... :)
View attachment 177112

The canyons was always the "dirt" ski hill to us compared to PC, solitude, brighton, snowbird, alta, even deer valley......Only reason you went there was that is was SOOOO cheap...or you were a snowboarder bc they allowed snowboarders back then....some weekdays it would be under $10. But the snow was meh compared to the other mountains.....So what im getting at.....in reality I am probably the weirdo skier.....Most people probably dont care about the terrain or conditions...just nice lifts, nice hotel, nice lodges/restaurants, alot of groomers, etc. So like with the canyons, you can take an otherwise bland mountain (at least compared to its surrounding resorts) and fancy it up....people now love it. Give me Alta or Mad river all day. :)
Unfortunately it seems that the popularity of a place is directly proportional to how nice the base lodge and hotels are. Taking Stowe as an example, after 12-1pm, the lines are usually gone and crowd has thinned out. Once people go in for lunch and have a beer, or over-pay for their Whistle Pig, they're done for the day. What remains on the hill are the people who are actually there to ski.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
View attachment 177112

You should ski Plattekill, just don't tell anybody else.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Unfortunately it seems that the popularity of a place is directly proportional to how nice the base lodge and hotels are. Taking Stowe as an example, after 12-1pm, the lines are usually gone and crowd has thinned out. Once people go in for lunch and have a beer, or over-pay for their Whistle Pig, they're done for the day. What remains on the hill are the people who are actually there to ski.

Generally the first 2 hours of the day are good too. The problem with the afternoon - at least on the East Coast where I exist - is that by the afternoon many much ice sheets litter the hill(s).

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
ill get there one day, its just that usually if im going to drive that far....id rather go to smuggs or MRG
It's 25 minutes past Belleayre's front door, not VT. It's my max for day tripping. That extra 25 minutes gets you so much more skiing.

roc

So like with the canyons, you can take an otherwise bland mountain (at least compared to its surrounding resorts) and fancy it up....people now love it. Give me Alta or Mad river all day. :)
I'm not so sure about the canyons being bland, but OK. And I'm with you on Alta, but you have to hit Mad River Perfect or it sucks, yup, I said it! Luckily, in the past several years I have had several great days at Mad River, but when you are in that single chair lift line, it is brutal!

roc

The problem with the afternoon - at least on the East Coast where I exist - is that by the afternoon many much ice sheets litter the hill(s).
This is especially true of the harder slopes. I hate ice.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I hate ice.

For a long time (not that long) ice didn't bother me. Keep in mind that I learned to ski after 40, and I can tell you every single date I have ever skied - it's that few. For the vast majority of my ski career, I pretty much just scraped down the hill. So, ice was just something else I scraped over. As I have gotten better (note: I still suck out loud) and have learned to turn properly (ok, more properly than an ice scraper) I am starting to dislike ice more and more. Now I dislike ice a lot more.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm not so sure about the canyons being bland, but OK. And I'm with you on Alta, but you have to hit Mad River Perfect or it sucks, yup, I said it! Luckily, in the past several years I have had several great days at Mad River, but when you are in that single chair lift line, it is brutal!
Compared to anything around here, its amazing....compared to its neighbors in utah etc....the snow/terrain is just not as good imo....Really, my point was more that the place was DEAD as a doornail for eions....its still the same ski terrain, but now its got fancy hotels, resturants, nicer lifts.

And I hear you about MRG....with no snowmaking, its a crapshoot and the reason for owning rock skis :) But dam I love when every surface of a mountain is paved with bumps

I dont mind the single lift since I dont typically count ski miles, or runs...I like that there will be few people on the hill and I want to get off that lift...head out into the woods and explore...if the run takes and hour, whatever.....Just find some untracked line, chute, etc.....I love that stuff. MRG reminds me of the fun we used to have in Utah exploring all of the unmarked lines in Park city...from Pincone to the mcconkeys....riding up the lift with my idiot friends going "ok...how can we get to THAT spot". Something I really miss now...unless we are talking MRG, Jay, Smuggs...not to much of that around here.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
For a long time (not that long) ice didn't bother me. Keep in mind that I learned to ski after 40, and I can tell you every single date I have ever skied - it's that few. For the vast majority of my ski career, I pretty much just scraped down the hill. So, ice was just something else I scraped over. As I have gotten better (note: I still suck out loud) and have learned to turn properly (ok, more properly than an ice scraper) I am starting to dislike ice more and more. Now I dislike ice a lot more.
you have done say the equivalent of someone having never seen a bicycle, to becoming someone who is a solid cat 2 racer I would say....and for anyone in their 40, thats impressive. In time I hope to get you to leave the groomers and come play in the woods....but I if you hit a tree, I cant carry you out :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom