21-22 Ski/Snowboard thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this is a ski thread but...do tell!
I knocked myself out for 20min or so on Flo, of all places, but not off of one of the jumps (because that's not where they found me), which made me happy. All my worst crashes have happened in the dumbest places. A couple of nice ladies found me face-down and called Mountain Rescue to pull me out. Then they used my battered face to unlock my phone and call my wife. It was all very embarrassing, I still don't know what happened, but I finally made the Police blotter! As side note, if you eat-shit "in-bounds", the extraction is free of charge, however the ambulance ride is not.

I was there when those 2 dudes got caught out. It was sad because they were brothers, and the one was just looking over the cliff and slipped. They had to call 10th Mountain from Ethan Allen because of the difficulty of the recovery.

People are always getting caught over their heads, I read about it in the Stowe Reporter all the time. Every time mountain rescue needs to go in, it makes the paper (including my MTB "extraction").

There's still plenty of good woods to be had, you just need to know where to look and follow Fight Club rules. There's also some good stuff in the surrounding hills that the local skinning crew has made that no one knows about except the local skinning crew.
I was in Telluride when I saw it on IG on John Staffords story and then read about it later and that it was a very difficult situation. Very sad.

One of the first things I get is the Reporter and read the police blotter. Your story from Flo is crazy and glad it wasn't too bad! And I've read a lot worse and more embarrassing ones in the blotter haha

So true about the local knowledge and Stowe woods. I've been riding there since '90 (college days) and have been exploring ever since. I estimate I know about 50% of the terrain.

I ca
I knocked myself out for 20min or so on Flo, of all places, but not off of one of the jumps (because that's not where they found me), which made me happy. All my worst crashes have happened in the dumbest places. A couple of nice ladies found me face-down and called Mountain Rescue to pull me out. Then they used my battered face to unlock my phone and call my wife. It was all very embarrassing, I still don't know what happened, but I finally made the Police blotter! As side note, if you eat-shit "in-bounds", the extraction is free of charge, however the ambulance ride is not.
I can see that happening of flow, I have had the willies on that trail a few times. Glad you are ok.
What has happened at Spruce over the last 10 years has been an eye opener. People in robes from the spa picking up their kids at ski school at 3pm has me shaking my head every time.
It is pretty awesome staying at that lodge, walking down in slippers and booting up in the locker room. My kids are older now, but if I had had the cash to do that when they were young enough, I would have.
We would drop the kids off at Spruce in the morning, hit Mansfield and then grab them after lunch to hang with them and see what they learned or what spots they found. Those were the best days and the kids still talk about that.
Skiing after school with them was the best, so cool to see them get better.
Happy to have had all my kids ski and learn there with the original lodge for the oldest and the temp one in the parking lot for the other 2. Still a great place to learn and afternoon laps there in the sun adds to a great day of skiing.
Everybody loves the old school lodges, and I do too. It's kind of nice now that most of the places I've been during covid don't have bag check anymore. You can now just leave your bag like you used to be able to.

I have nothing against the really nice lodges at deer valley and snowbasin, either.

There's still plenty of good woods to be had, you just need to know where to look and follow Fight Club rules. There's also some good stuff in the surrounding hills that the local skinning crew has made that no one knows about except the local skinning crew.

I just read the article, very sad.

I ca

I can see that happening of flow, I have had the willies on that trail a few times. Glad you are ok.

It is pretty awesome staying at that lodge, walking down in slippers and booting up in the locker room. My kids are older now, but if I had had the cash to do that when they were young enough, I would have.

Skiing after school with them was the best, so cool to see them get better.

Everybody loves the old school lodges, and I do too. It's kind of nice now that most of the places I've been during covid don't have bag check anymore. You can now just leave your bag like you used to be able to.

I have nothing against the really nice lodges at deer valley and snowbasin, either.

As salty as I am overall they have done a nice job at Spruce Base. Believe me I have had many nice lunches at Solstice and the base lodge and my go to move is an espresso and bun at that coffee shop if I'm over there grabbing afternoon runs. I was just going with what Utah and Capt saying that nice lifts and lodges (and spas) will draw people.

The instructors at Stowe were cool and would take the kids to areas I didn't know about. For the kids to show me a secret stash was pretty sweet.

I think the base lodge at Mansfield is protected so it should hold that old school feel hopefully for a while longer. It's the same as it was when I was there in college (without the stairwell next to the bathrooms). And come to think of it the same with the Octogon and the lodges on the Gondola.

Reactions: roc
Decent conditions at Blue today if you like ripping big GS turns. Not a bump in sight. Not really
an R&B guy, but Earth, Wind & Fire cranking in the helmet seemed to work.

No decent photos.

View attachment 177234View attachment 177235View attachment 177236
How does blue compare to creek? I haven't skiied anywhere but Vermont in years after giving up on pa / nj skiing but I was thinking about trying blue out on Tuesday it's only an hour from me and I don't have hours and hours of driving time allotted to do a good day trip north

How does blue compare to creek? I haven't skiied anywhere but Vermont in years after giving up on pa / nj skiing but I was thinking about trying blue out on Tuesday it's only an hour from me and I don't have hours and hours of driving time allotted to do a good day trip north
Haven't skied Creek in many years. Never was a fan. It's worth an hour to make some turns. I usually just get a 4 hour ticket. I'd stay far away on a weekend though.

How does blue compare to creek?
This is easy...Mountain Creek is the worst ski hill that I have ever been too.....And I have been to MANY in my 42 years on skis. go ANYWHERE else, it will be better.

They should snowblow the DH trails and keep the bike park open year round.

(yes im still burned from being screwed over with my seasons passes there for several years :) )

You just go ahead and lower your expectations if you’re going from VT to PA.

If you’re doing BM on the weekend I’d do the late half day to get the most out of it.

For a longer drive, Elk is my goto. Weekends at Blue are very crowded. A Tues at Elk or Blue shouldn't be too crowded.

You just go ahead and lower your expectations if you’re going from VT to PA.

If you’re doing BM on the weekend I’d do the late half day to get the most out of it.
Ohh I have zero expectations of Vermont skiing in PA hahaha I was Curious on how it compared to creek

I was just there for a bike race, think I would have remembered what it looked like

Nice I bought a 8 hour pass for Tuesday for 63 bucks yesterday. I'll make the most of it either way. Thanks for the info
Hitting Elk tomorrow. That’s my go to place in PA. Far enough away from the teeming masses of humanity that litter Pocono slopes, plus they have just introduced an RFID system, with a “any-four-hour window” option for $50.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom