21-22 Ski/Snowboard thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't sure this should go in this thread or "things that make you frown" thread.

It will be real fun watching the upper classes blow on by while those without the means get to wait in line a bit longer.

Kinda surprised it took this long for something the amusement park industry has had for almost 2 decades to show up.

Tbf the real rich people don't waste their time at resorts anyway...they're all cat and heli skiing. That blew my mind when my high school girlfriend's family changed their VT Christmas vacation at the last minute to Grand Targhee because there wasn't enough snow on the east coast. That's when I knew they were living a far different reality than mine lol. I think I spent that winter break riding Creek and working.

Copper and Vail had this at least 18 years ago.
(i was there for my 40th birthday, so I remember splurging)

It will be real fun watching the upper classes blow on by while those without the means get to wait in line a bit longer.

A lot to unpack from this if you are so inclined. But I'll go with the thought that like 4% of Americans can afford to ski. So it's hard to really feel bad for anyone here.

A lot to unpack from this if you are so inclined. But I'll go with the thought that like 4% of Americans can afford to ski. So it's hard to really feel bad for anyone here.

Afford? Or live in a climate where it's viable and actually enjoy being in the cold for recreational purposes?

My entire family can afford it but I'm the only one that skis/snowboards. Snowboarding is vastly cheaper than mountain biking. A full setup that requires far less maintenance is $1,000 all in. It's not a cheap sport, but it's also not a rich elite sport either like polo or boating.

So $49 a day? What's a lift ticket these days for a place like that - $100? This is pretty much identical to what Disney is charging per person for a day at Disney world with their Genie + Lightning lanes. I doubt the socioeconomic status of most theme park customers is "rich".

Afford? Or live in a climate where it's viable and actually enjoy being in the cold for recreational purposes?

My entire family can afford it but I'm the only one that skis/snowboards. Snowboarding is vastly cheaper than mountain biking. A full setup that requires far less maintenance is $1,000 all in. It's not a cheap sport, but it's also not a rich elite sport either like polo or boating.
Eh, not sure if I agree...I suppose if you pick one place and only go there....as in a seasons pass....but me for example....east coast ski areas are just so tiny, I really dont want to spend too much time at the same one.

I mean you also do HAVE to spend what we spend on bikes...pre covid you could buy a decent used mtb for $1000

Eh, not sure if I agree...I suppose if you pick one place and only go there....as in a seasons pass....but me for example....east coast ski areas are just so tiny, I really dont want to spend too much time at the same one.

I mean you also do HAVE to spend what we spend on bikes...pre covid you could buy a decent used mtb for $1000

Well thankfully there's like 3 season passes left and they're all good for 10+ resorts so variety is just about the only plus in the current consolidated resort situation.

Yeah that $1000 used bike is going to need a ton of maintenance. I got my buddy into MTB last year (who's been a snowboarder for decades) and he bought a $1300 gently used 2017 Giant Stance. Thing has been a nightmare from it's non boost QR axles to cheap rims that go out of true every ride to NX drivetrain to garbage dropper. Has basically turned him off the sport unfortunately. That's not even that old of a bike!

Reactions: don
Kinda surprised it took this long for something the amusement park industry has had for almost 2 decades to show up.

Tbf the real rich people don't waste their time at resorts anyway...they're all cat and heli skiing. That blew my mind when my high school girlfriend's family changed their VT Christmas vacation at the last minute to Grand Targhee because there wasn't enough snow on the east coast. That's when I knew they were living a far different reality than mine lol. I think I spent that winter break riding Creek and working.
Some people just like fresh powder. I've done the same thing to my wife's dismay.

Fresh powder always wins over cost and convenience.:cool:

Some people just like fresh powder. I've done the same thing to my wife's dismay.

Fresh powder always wins over cost and convenience.:cool:

I'm just bitter because my 6 weeks I've spent out west I've seen 6" total of fresh snow. I have the worst luck.

Park City didn't see an inch of snow for the 2 months leading up to to my trip. It was like bad Vermont conditions on the 20% of the mountain that was open.

Park City didn't see an inch of snow for the 2 months leading up to to my trip.
when did you go? bc the correct answer should always be February or march

I mean in 7 years of living in park city...the only month I never saw it snow was July....I remember on my last day of school one year...about June 2nd or so...walked out my door to 6in of snow...That was a WTF moment lol.

I'm just bitter because my 6 weeks I've spent out west I've seen 6" total of fresh snow. I have the worst luck.

Park City didn't see an inch of snow for the 2 months leading up to to my trip. It was like bad Vermont conditions on the 20% of the mountain that was open.
What were the conditions at the other 8 areas near PC? PC always gets the least snow. I would have pulled the plug if there was no snow for two months. I've even ended up laying on the beach because the conditions sucked where we originally planned to go.

when did you go? bc the correct answer should always be February or march

I mean in 7 years of living in park city...the only month I never saw it snow was July....I remember on my last day of school one year...about June 2nd or so...walked out my door to 6in of snow...That was a WTF moment lol.

It was always the last week of college break so mid January...it was $1000 for 5 days of lifts, lodging (shared with 4-5 other students) and airfare so I couldn't be picky. It was 11/12. Looked like the rest of the year ruled there though.

What were the conditions at the other 8 areas near PC? PC always gets the least snow. I would have pulled the plug if there was no snow for two months. I've even ended up laying on the beach because the conditions sucked where we originally planned to go.

Canyons was better but not great. We almost went to Snowbird but they didn't have much more snow to justify burning the prepaid lift tickets we had.

omg, ya...no wonder it was so cheap....Feb/March...you will have a much better chance to get your dream powder day....Never a guarantee, but much better odds. And by then, there is enough snowpack then you can always find something if you dont mind hiking for it.

omg, ya...no wonder it was so cheap....Feb/March...you will have a much better chance to get your dream powder day....Never a guarantee, but much better odds. And by then, there is enough snowpack then you can always find something if you dont mind hiking for it.

2011/12 not November lol. It was January 8th-15th or something along those lines.

pcs.PNG

Last edited:
I wasn't sure this should go in this thread or "things that make you frown" thread.

I just can't see many folks going this route. As a Killington season pass holder, I will not be purchasing.this - ever. Or the preferred parking area. A season pass/daily tickets cost enough already.

skiing is expensive - don't let the lower entry point of equipment fool ya.
still need sport specific clothes. although i do wear my helmet when the temps go low
and i actually ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom