2022 Garden Thread

qclabrat

No pics, but the garden is poop so far. Everything seems stunted and most of the beans never came up. Will do a second planting this weekend. Though lettuce and radishes look good. Been cooler than normal but soil probably could use some mending next year

ekuhn

Pruned up the tomatoes and added some more trellis strings to help them out. Peppers and corn also doing well. Cuc's and Zucchini moving along slowly. Tends to be wetter where the corn and cucs are smaller. Need to do some more weeding and add some more mulch to those rows.

IMG_7251.jpeg

IMG_7254.jpeg

w_b

6/28 You guys seem like you do so much better than me. My tomatoes are finally exhibiting more vinelike than plantlike growth and I just noticed today few beefsteaks have burst from their blossoms. Go summer!

What you guys doing to keep the feed bag on? I been overmulching every couple weeks with my homebrew compost, but running low….Prefer to keep it organic if possible.

Edit I’m so happy I finally convinced the fam to actually grow them in the actual ground… small victories….

0F1BF211-B771-43F3-B52F-85386013E382.jpeg

162C5D76-3108-4ACA-A0EE-ABAB75CAEB09.jpeg

Last edited:

qclabrat

6/28 You guys seem like you do so much better than me. My tomatoes are finally exhibiting more vinelike than plantlike growth and I just noticed today few beefsteaks have burst from their blossoms. Go summer!

What you guys doing to keep the feed bag on? I been overmulching every couple weeks with my homebrew compost, but running low….Prefer to keep it organic if possible.

Edit I’m so happy I finally convinced the fam to actually grow them in the actual ground… small victories….

View attachment 187696

View attachment 187697
Looks good, some appear to be bolting a bit. Prune off some tops

Reactions: w_b

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member

View attachment 187696

View attachment 187697

Are they on the east side of the fence, and blocked from half a day's sun by the house?

Reactions: w_b

w_b

Looks good, some appear to be bolting a bit. Prune off some tops

Thought about this, pinched the first few blossoms, as the plants themselves started out fairly feeble looking. Now I fear there’s too many “tops.”

Are they on the east side of the fence, and blocked from half a day's sun by the house?

Fence is running N-S, so yes morning sun is partly blocked, mostly by the fence itself. It is the best location in the backyard doe. Perhaps next year I’ll remove some of the plastic privacy slats in the chain links, or consider moving to the south side of an adjacent E-W fence (outside the yard doe.)

Thanks for the Suggs!

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Naturally occurring wineberry patch on the property edge. @rick81721 got back just-in-time!

We planted some raspberries this year - off to a slow start, hopefully grow enough for a crop next year.
Also noticed the birds are flying into the blueberry patch. They must be getting close.

1657103703349.png

ekuhn

Naturally occurring wineberry patch on the property edge. @rick81721 got back just-in-time!

We planted some raspberries this year - off to a slow start, hopefully grow enough for a crop next year.
Also noticed the birds are flying into the blueberry patch. They must be getting close.

View attachment 188595
Get some insect netting to throw over the top of the blueberries so the birds dont rob you blind.

Top Bottom