2013 Horseshoe Scramble

As a spectator I know enough not to physically interfere with the racers, but aside from having the typical cow bell, is a megaphone and...oh....say a monkey suit ok to bring? Maybe not a monkey suit but I think you get the picture.

Monkey suits are encouraged!

Attachments

• Monkey Suit.jpg
    Monkey Suit.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 224
There will be food!

We have confirmed that The Green Radish food truck will be in attendance. The Green Radish was started recently by former NYC executive chef, card-carrying USACycling bike racer and all around nice guy, James Rafferty. I can vouch that the food is damn good. And Jim V can eat it too. Wafels are so 2011 anyway.

VEGAN?

I will set up a free gorgonzola and baco-bits table nearby for folks who need to kick the vegan offerings up a notch.

Participate!

If one of the race directors would be kind enough to switch me from cat 5->cat 4/40+..thanks.
===================

This in an MTBNJ.com/WW sponsored event!

I'm looking at the number of registered participants and not seeing alot of love from our "community" - A couple of people have assured me that the numbers will go up as race day approaches, since weather plays a factor at this point in the season, and the call-up protocol isn't as dependent on time of registration.

ok, can accept that - but when the community center holds a pancake breakfast, you buy your tickets and then decide if you are going. It should take one of those serious fire/flood/pestilence/plague things to stop you!

the focus here isn't on the "racers" - they do what they do - it is the big number here that ride just to ride. There is no reason that the cat 5/cat 4-40+/women's B/Fat Bikes races aren't packed with a bunch of us that can just laugh at each other before/during/after the race. Sure, we are going to get obliterated by some Cat 1 Roadie sandbagger, so what.

Ensure the success of this event.
Go register - now. You'll get to pin on a race number just like on TV! Get your heart rate up, and might even earn a year of bragging rights over those trash talking riding mates...

Looking at the weather forecast, it appears There will be Mud - so get the gopro rolling, for some great footage. Going over the barrier gnar-gnar??

319544_4952359577021_1118899435_n.jpg

Last edited:
^hoping for some mud, I've raced almost every weekend this year and have not left any race muddy

^hoping for some mud, I've raced almost every weekend this year and have not left any race muddy

Last years HorseShoe slop fest:

89EB1762-82C9-47B2-B5F9-A134C62E255E-6710-00000C8DAFC377D7.jpg

I'll be attempting to avoid last weekends CAT4 40+ DFL performance. I think I have put on 10 lbs in the last week so I may be in for a repeat. I'm thinking the first race or two may be mud free until things warm up.

PS: Stirling Diner nearby is excellent and has a menu with options other than diner-fare....

Over 200 Registered! Few more hours to go.

Good luck to everyone.

Nice!

How's it going so far?!

Perfect conditions for the 8:00am men's 40+ cat4 and mens cat5.

Started mostly frozen with a few softer spots and after a few laps became some frozen with assorted mud in spots.

Great course, thought there would be traffic issues but a squeeze in the very beginning spread folks out. A fair number of wipe outs on the course but everyone seemed to get back on and continue.

Nice seeing MTBNJ peeps out there, hoping to reverse my slowing trend and be faster next year but not betting on it....

:D

- Warren

Great fun and firm conditions for the first couple hours, wish I could have stuck around longer to see it get sloppy.

BTW, Sean's non-stop silly commentary is priceless!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1386520870445.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1386520870445.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 244
Great job organizing/setting up !! TY Norm, Kirt, and others.
Got to meet of few of the guys too.

much fun sweeping the course with bigW!

Should have know it was going to be interesting after blowing through the tape with an OTB in warm-up.......

tooks some pics, and shot some vid, will get them organized shortly.

Thank you MTBNJ for putting on a great season finale.

This years course was WAY Better than years past.

-gv

THANKS, Norm and the crew, for a great day. Special thanks to a frozen Sean Runnette for his hilarious commentary!
SB

Thanks for coming out everybody. I have always liked the Horseshoe course but we were lucky this year to have more land to work with in the back fields so we took advantage of it. This venue is really viable for CX and has a ton of untapped potential. We have some big ideas for 2014.

Back
Top Bottom