20-21 Ski/Snowboard thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

littlev21

they ended up with 13". Friday was fun, not crowded. Saturday was too crowded. combination of a dump, half the mountain being closed ,and covid protocols overwhelmed the gondola and bubble, 20-30+ minute lift lines. it certainly was a heavy, wet snow. But an unexpected, pleasant change of pace from spring chores.

kidzach

I was laughing at some of the closed trails folks were going down on Saturday afternoon. giving new meaning to "rock skis"

Zaskar

Glad I skipped. May try and get another day in at K but we'll see. Had 20 days this season with none at Shawnee so I'll call it a win for this lowlander.

roc

You love powder, you have a couple of friends who love powder and can ski/ride at a decent pace. I've got 4-6 guys who can commit, maybe late march into first week of April. I want to rent a private snowcat 2 days and get a ton of runs in.

anybody have interest?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member

You love powder, you have a couple of friends who love powder and can ski/ride at a decent pace. I've got 4-6 guys who can commit, maybe late march into first week of April. I want to rent a private snowcat 2 days and get a ton of runs in.

anybody have interest?
Problem with cat skiing is you get to the bottom and have to wait for the cat!
Hopefully they have a couple groups staggered and you just switch off on your Ride up

roc

Problem with cat skiing is you get to the bottom and have to wait for the cat!
Hopefully they have a couple groups staggered and you just switch off on your Ride up
its not that bad, i've done it a few places and I don't remember the wait being terrible. I've been Heli skiing a few places and you have to wait for that also. The good thing about the private cat is we could really get a shitload more runs, late march, early april gives you a lot of daylight.

Reactions: don

Id_rather_be_skiing

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
its not that bad, i've done it a few places and I don't remember the wait being terrible. I've been Heli skiing a few places and you have to wait for that also. The good thing about the private cat is we could really get a shitload more runs, late march, early april gives you a lot of daylight.
Issue I had in Silverton was they added 2 to our group who were not at our level (said they were when they signed up) and we had to wait. Then they had the stones to complain how exhausting it was. Silverton made it right though with 2 single heli drop vouchers for a future trip that are usually $100 per flight.

roc

Issue I had in Silverton was they added 2 to our He had to do thegroup who were not at our level (said they were when they signed up) and we had to wait. Then they had the stones to complain how exhausting it was. Silverton made it right though with 2 single heli drop vouchers for a future trip that are usually $100 per flight.
This is exactly why I want a private cat. I have had a private cat in the past and it was great, we got 20 runs. A long time ago I did a snowcat day at Big Sky, it was at moonlight basin before it opened. we had a guy in the cat telling us how great of a skier he was. He took 1 turn and went down, this went on for the entire run. The guides made him stay in the cat, until they could get him to the yurt. It was so weird riding up with the guy after our runs, they told him point blank that he was ruining everybody else's experience. He had to do the ride of shame in that cat!!

Silverton is over my head at this point, too high and the terrain looks brutal. I am looking for a few days of fast runs, but i don't need extreme terrain anymore. Single black diamond with bottomless snow is good for me.

Patrick

Staff member
This is exactly why I want a private cat. I have had a private cat in the past and it was great, we got 20 runs. A long time ago I did a snowcat day at Big Sky, it was at moonlight basin before it opened. we had a guy in the cat telling us how great of a skier he was. He took 1 turn and went down, this went on for the entire run. The guides made him stay in the cat, until they could get him to the yurt. It was so weird riding up with the guy after our runs, they told him point blank that he was ruining everybody else's experience. He had to do the ride of shame in that cat!!

Silverton is over my head at this point, too high and the terrain looks brutal. I am looking for a few days of fast runs, but i don't need extreme terrain anymore. Single black diamond with bottomless snow is good for me.

i did the cat out in big sky, and we beat the thing down by quite a bit, and i was on a snowboard and had to hike spots - which was fun in thigh deep snow.
they said lunch time, we said f-no. we grabbed some food the next few times down while waiting. think we got 8 runs in.
otoh, the runs were great, every one in fresh snow. we all matched the turns to get the most out of the snowfield.

would love to try again at a better timed place. might have just been the route the cat had to take to get up that high.

roc

i did the cat out in big sky, and we beat the thing down by quite a bit, and i was on a snowboard and had to hike spots - which was fun in thigh deep snow.
they said lunch time, we said f-no. we grabbed some food the next few times down while waiting. think we got 8 runs in.
otoh, the runs were great, every one in fresh snow. we all matched the turns to get the most out of the snowfield.

would love to try again at a better timed place. might have just been the route the cat had to take to get up that high.
Was us Montana backcountry adventure? It was so long ago, I don’t remember how long we waited. At Targhee the wait wasn’t bad, well worth the fresh turns without the rat race. we had lunch in a yurt at big sky. i thought that day was awesome.

roc

now you all have me reminiscing...It was so much fun there was minimal photo taking...getting in/out of a running heli is one of the coolest things ever.View attachment 158956
I can’t stand the helicopter, scares the shit out of me. I did a couple weeks in Canada and Alaska. It’s just not for me Anymore. My buddy loved it, I was scared the whole time. we wound up in a whiteout, for a guy who doesn’t like to fly, that can produce some serious anxiety.

Patrick

Staff member
Was us Montana backcountry adventure? It was so long ago, I don’t remember how long we waited. At Targhee the wait wasn’t bad, well worth the fresh turns without the rat race. we had lunch in a yurt at big sky. i thought that day was awesome.

Yes - it was MBA. I have the mug around somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom