20-21 Ski/Snowboard thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Id_rather_be_skiing

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Checked out big snow yesterday, totally fun for an hour, loved that it was 27 degrees inside while having an insane thunderstorm outside. We skied but I would try a snow bike if I go back.
tempImage81bQzv.jpg

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Checked out big snow yesterday, totally fun for an hour, loved that it was 27 degrees inside while having an insane thunderstorm outside. We skied but I would try a snow bike if I go back.
View attachment 159492
how cold is it in there? Do you need full snow suit? Thinking about taking my son so he doesn't lose the progress made in the backyard this winter.

Id_rather_be_skiing

JORBA.ORG
how cold is it in there? Do you need full snow suit? Thinking about taking my son so he doesn't lose the progress made in the backyard this winter.
they keep it at 27 so dress for that temp. clear goggles if you want to wear them, I had a yellow in and the light was very odd ended up not wearing any.

roc

Can’t wait for some skiing!

how does Aspen/snowmass stack up against Utah resorts or other places out west. I’ve never been, being going to Utah for the past several ski trips, it’s so easy to fly in and out of. . Looking for something new this year, maybe.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep

how does Aspen/snowmass stack up against Utah resorts or other places out west. I’ve never been, being going to Utah for the past several ski trips, it’s so easy to fly in and out of. . Looking for something new this year, maybe.
Compared to where in Utah?

Aspen will be less crowded since it is a pain to get to and too far from Denver for day trips. Town will obviously be more expensive but there are plenty of less expensive places to eat. If you have intermediates with you, it’s hard to beat Snowmass.

roc

Compared to where in Utah?

Aspen will be less crowded since it is a pain to get to and too far from Denver for day trips. Town will obviously be more expensive but there are plenty of less expensive places to eat. If you have intermediates with you, it’s hard to beat Snowmass.
i Was wondering how the terrain stacks up against an Alta, deer valley. all the guys I go with are solid skiers. Some a little more than others. We always go mid week non holiday, so crowding shouldn’t be an issue.

where would you rather be on a powder day, aspen or deer valley?

Gnick

Look into jackson hole and grand targhee - direct flights from newark and shuttles to the mountains. No need to rent a car. I’m headed back to targhee this year. Terrain at jackson is unbearable and the snow at targhee is divine.

roc

Look into jackson hole and grand targhee - direct flights from newark and shuttles to the mountains. No need to rent a car. I’m headed back to targhee this year. Terrain at jackson is unbearable and the snow at targhee is divine.
love Jackson hole, but it’s a really hard mountain. At this point Targhee may be more my speed. I e been there a few times and have been really lucky, about 3-4 feet both times there. That was the some of the best cat skiing ever.

Gnick

Unbeatable

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
03D96445-AC96-428A-8CA0-1B4C710D7C95.jpeg@roc have you done Big Sky? Huge terrain, for all abilities. Direct Saturday flights from EWR to Bozeman. 45 min bus, no car needed once you’re there.

Id_rather_be_skiing

JORBA.ORG
Have you looked at telluride or crested butte? Both really good skiing for all (and mtb) with access to cool towns. Not as easy to get to though.

Are you on any pass restrictions? Do you need a mountain village/town?

Bike N Gear

Shop Keep
i Was wondering how the terrain stacks up against an Alta, deer valley. all the guys I go with are solid skiers. Some a little more than others. We always go mid week non holiday, so crowding shouldn’t be an issue.

I believe if you are hoping for a powder day, UT has better odds. I've only skied DV twice and both happened to be powder days.

JH is steep. BS is huge, but needs decent coverage for all the rock. No nightlife at BS.

For my once a year venture out west any of them will do.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
This is killing me - don't think we've been west in 8 years.
We'll probably do the Summit County tour with a day in Vail.
Something for everyone, and good nightlife.

Bike N Gear

Shop Keep
This is killing me - don't think we've been west in 8 years.
We'll probably do the Summit County tour with a day in Vail.
Something for everyone, and good nightlife.
The killer these days is that without an Epic Pass or an Ikon Pass a week at any of these places are a fortune now. And the only way to get one of those passes cheaply, was to buy it already. Day ticket prices at most of these places have passed $200/day.

roc

View attachment 168585@roc have you done Big Sky? Huge terrain, for all abilities. Direct Saturday flights from EWR to Bozeman. 45 min bus, no car needed once you’re there.
Oh yeah! And it was awesome. Stayed in a 3 bedroom condo near the iron horse lift. Ski to, walk uphill 50 yards to get back. I think the condo was $2000.00 for the week, during presidents week In 2003. That same place is now $1,00.00/night. Crazy, how much prices have gone up.
my wife and I went a few days early, stayed in Bozeman and skied Bridger for 2 days until the other 2 couple got there. May be one of best best trips out west. snowmobiled thru yellowstone, I don’t think they allow that anymore.
bald eagles, Rams, ermine, elk and that was before we checked out Yellowstone. I saw a wolf at the park, really amazing. I was a little dejected by old faithful, I remeber being fascinated as a kid, but it just didn’t live up to the hype for me.

JPark

Deer Valley is actually one of better places for a powder day. The "typical" Deer Valley skier is there for groomers which leaves all day freshies for powder seekers.
And they do have good expert terrain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom