20-21 Ski/Snowboard thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reactions: don
Sweet ! Been out to Utah a few times. Sadly I never made it here though.
I‘ve skied about 12-15 days out there over the last 15 years. I’ve never been disappointed. It’s also huge, it’s the biggest resort (skiable acreage) in North America. Some of it is not lift serviced, but you don’t have to hike, you go off into the powder country, and you wind up at a road, At the bottom of that road, a bus brings you back to the top and you ski down to a lift It’s super easy, but that keeps enough people away to always have powder and ridiculous soft snow, all the time!

Looks awesome, where’s that?
Thanks - it was Stowe this past week. I was going to complain about the lift lines but after seeing the pictures people have posted I'll have to say it wasn't bad. Although this weekend must have been crazy with the loads of people going up for the long weekend. We got a little snow each night with a couple mornings seeing 5-6 inches. The place got tracked out quick but there was some fresh to be found.

I've never seen the mid-week days as busy as I did (and I've been riding there since 1990). My guess is there are a lot of WFH folks that are local or rented a place for the season. I also noticed a number of RVs/Sprinter/F550 Expo rigs in the parking lot. Maybe 6 or so a day.

Fingers crossed the snow keeps coming!

Stowe this past week. I was going to complain about the lift lines but after seeing the pictures people have posted I'll have to say it wasn't bad. Although this weekend must have been crazy with the loads of people going up for the long weekend. We got a little snow each night with a couple mornings seeing 5-6 inches. The place go tracked out quick but there was some fresh to be found.

I've never seen the mid-week days as busy as I did (and I've been riding there since 1990). My guess is there are a lot of WFH folks that are local or rented a place for the season. I also noticed a number of RVs/Sprinter/F550 Expo rigs in the parking lot.

I've heard that this weekend wasn't bad at all because a lot of people's passes are blacked out for the holiday weekend.

Thanks - it was Stowe this past week. I was going to complain about the lift lines but after seeing the pictures people have posted I'll have to say it wasn't bad. Although this weekend must have been crazy with the loads of people going up for the long weekend. We got a little snow each night with a couple mornings seeing 5-6 inches. The place got tracked out quick but there was some fresh to be found.

I've never seen the mid-week days as busy as I did (and I've been riding there since 1990). My guess is there are a lot of WFH folks that are local or rented a place for the season. I also noticed a number of RVs/Sprinter/F550 Expo rigs in the parking lot. Maybe 6 or so a day.

Sweet!! I’m guessing, but it looks like you hit some spruce and Mansfield in there. The lines on Saturday and Sunday at Alta and Deer Valley were the worst I’ve ever dealt with. 15 min max, but the initial lift to get up to the other ones, 1.5 hours!!

I‘ve skied about 12-15 days out there over the last 15 years. I’ve never been disappointed. It’s also huge, it’s the biggest resort (skiable acreage) in North America. Some of it is not lift serviced, but you don’t have to hike, you go off into the powder country, and you wind up at a road, At the bottom of that road, a bus brings you back to the top and you ski down to a lift It’s super easy, but that keeps enough people away to always have powder and ridiculous soft snow, all the time!
I think I drove up to it one day after coming back from Snow Basin. If I remember correctly , Parking is at the top.

I got in a fun day at Belleayre on Friday with the family. I thought it would be more crowded with kids off of school but it was quiet. Spent most of the day with the family, around 2 I got my son a lesson... At 6, he just isn't listening to me, so I thought this might help... And it did. While they were busy, I spent the last 2 hours skiing the fun stuff

Last edited:
I've heard that this weekend wasn't bad at all because a lot of people's passes are blacked out for the holiday weekend.
That's right - I forgot about that. Plus with the reservation setup it keeps it to a set amount of people.

Sweet!! I’m guessing, but it looks like you hit some spruce and Mansfield in there. The lines on Saturday and Sunday at Alta and Deer Valley were the worst I’ve ever dealt with. 15 min max, but the initial lift to get up to the other ones, 1.5 hours!!
Thanks - all in all a great trip especially with the year we all have had!

We only rode Spruce once on the last day. It used to be that you could find a little fresh a day or 2 after a storm on big Spruce due to the double that served that area. But that side gets tracked out pretty good now. Although there is a lot of terrain on that side that I have to find!

We kept it to lower elevation lift served stuff on the main side. All my pics were from the quad. I usually venture towards the notch from the gondola but I saw so many people going that direction that I wasn't up for it.

Belleayre is not showing any availability the next two weekends. Booked tickets this coming Sunday at Blue. I think the last time I was a Blue was is when the made the name change in the late 80s from Little Gap.

I was exhausted just watching that! Being a snowboarder I'm not a fan of moguls but had to learn to ride them as all my friends at St. Mikes were skiers and that's what you rode during the early 90's. These days I'll farm the right side right along the tree line on bump runs as they are a little smaller on the sides.
oh ya, I mean I certainly see plenty of snowboarders that can handle bumps, but its obviously much much harder on a board. Mogul "skiing" is as much about your hands as it is your feet and you just dont the benefit of being able to use your hands on the board. That was like the revelation to me....faster I can move my hands, faster my feet move

Once its clicks on skis...It kinda feels like doing a rhythm section on a dirtbike, or a fun set of flow tuns on a mtb...its just a super fun feeling....like that feeling of being just right on the edge of out of control.

I made a huge mistake and didnt buy Ikon passes for the wife and kids. Now I want to take them to Stratton next week and no lifts tic available. If you’re got an ikon and aren’t going to use it next week, any chance you could pm about reserving some days?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom