20-21 Ski/Snowboard thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The one year I went out to PC they didn't get an inch of snowfall for 2 months prior. My luck with snowfall when going west is non existent.
when did you go? usually mid feb thru march...I mean you might not get fresh snow, but you usually have enough to ski on.

I remember in 2011, I went for 5 days in march, it snowed basically non stopped from monday to friday and i never saw the sun for the whole trip....that was like a once in a lifetime experience

Reactions: don

Cassinonorth

when did you go? usually mid feb thru march...I mean you might not get fresh snow, but you usually have enough to ski on.

I remember in 2011, I went for 5 days in march, it snowed basically non stopped from monday to friday and i never saw the sun for the whole trip....that was like a once in a lifetime experience

It was with my college so it was always the last week of Winter break...January 10th-17th ish in 2012.

331455_10151159307250512_873769484_o.jpg

And yet this was still in the backcountry.

332099_10151168607710512_361726584_o.jpg

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Ya I wish I could have this week, but wasnt possible....in all, despite the insane lift ticket line...the slow lifts do make the actual skiing experience better...definitely less people on the hill per run. So thats nice, at no point did I worry about my son getting run over like I do constantly at shawnee for example

All and all it was a great day....Met up with @Chris26er and his daughter, we stuck together mostly....She took my son on a couple of runs so 6er and I could go smash some bumps.......god I miss skiing bumps...When i lived in Park city...there is a lift there called Thaynes...and there are 3 great bump runs off that lift...double jack, thaynes, and the hoist.....I used to spend all day there somedays just hitting them over and over and over until I was dam near broken lol.
lol, certainly no zipper lines around these parts, but ill take whatever i can get and be happy :) My timing isnt what it used to be and im out of practice, but god is this fun

So we made it all day...my sons first real day with ski poles...he was doing fabulous....I was so happy...BUT THEN...last run of the day, he wanted to try the moguls...When I was 6, my dad didnt ski moguls...EVER...he was a sunday cruise kind of skier...so I would have never gone anywhere near a bump run at that age...but well he asked me, so i was like...ok, if you want to, lets do...well, now its the end of the day and very icy between the bumps...needless to say, this was a mess...so that should cure any desire he has for moguls for a little while.

Ldblgm9.jpg

you can get a look at the lift lines here, id say about 15min on average really...bc there are 2 lifts running
2Z42jgI.jpg

great things about elk tho...I think it was 75-80 for us to ski...and my son was free.

@Zeke aka Zaskar I do want to check out windham, its someplace that I havent skied since I was little kid....but the tickets are $40 MORE than bellayre and im like...is it THAT much better?

DAMN that’s a nice job on those bumps!
DAMN #2 that lift line is insane. I’ve. Ever seen it like that even on the busiest of weekend days pre-COVID!

Tim

aka sptimmy43
First time out this year, hit Blue Mountain with the family. We did a 4 hour pass from 3-7 (ish). The first 2 hours were slow, but after that it was much better. Snow was shockingly good, especially for PA. If I were to go back I'd do 5-9 instead of 3-7. After 5 or so the lines got much better.
I skied Blue this morning. I started at 9 am. It got crazy busy at noon, I assume since that’s when the next batch of lift tickets started. I think that’s the flaw, if you want to call it that, with their system. There is going to be an overlap from people who start late in their time window with the next time window in which it gets very busy.

Other than that the snow was great. Even skied the new trail they made all the way skiers right.

Last edited:

R grate

This is Steamboat over the weekend. I guess those $225 lift tickets haven't thinned the crowds too much.

View attachment 151375
I have about 17 days in this year “ lift skiing “ and weekends are like this , weekdays are good but if you can only ski weekends BC is where it’s at but we are seeing a lot more New people out there that don’t really understand the risks and are way unprepared .are snowpack is crazy unstable and it’s sucking up people left and right .

Tim

aka sptimmy43
Jeez, even on a random Monday? That sucks.
Yeah. They had both the high speed quad and six pack lifts running and the lines were just over 20 minutes long...which is an eternity for midweek skiing in the Poconos...

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah. They had both the high speed quad and six pack lifts running and the lines were just over 20 minutes long...which is an eternity for midweek skiing in the Poconos...

That quad was the lesser of those 2 evils for us Saturday night. But we stayed a little further up the hill until it thinned out. We did the 6-pack line once. Once...

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
It was with my college so it was always the last week of Winter break...January 10th-17th ish in 2012.

View attachment 151370

And yet this was still in the backcountry.

View attachment 151371
Oh I know that parking lot very well....you want to see something funny....here is that same parking but in 1990....used to be a snowmobile rental place....behind us is the sign for Park West, which is what the Canyons was a long time ago

parkwest.jpg

Zaskar

@Zeke aka Zaskar I do want to check out windham, its someplace that I havent skied since I was little kid....but the tickets are $40 MORE than bellayre and im like...is it THAT much better?
Not sure if its worth an additional 40 but I have been enjoying Windham this season. While it does have some of the flat ridge that Belle has its not as bad if IRC. We've had two days there so far this season (Ikon) and you can lap the double chair with little wait times. Going back and staying local for the weekend and plan to be ready to go at 8 to get ahead of the masses.

chemgirl

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I've been going to Blue pretty much every other day. I haven't really witnessed the crazy busy. They are only selling like 25% the amount of tickets as usual so that really keeps the crowds down. In the past years I could stand in-line for 45 mins on a good snow day. I don't think I've waited longer than 20mins yet this year.

That Steamboat picture is frightening, I'm out there this Thursday. :eek:

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
As of a few minutes ago more tickets became available for Plattekill this week. They'll be gone soon. Best place to ski during what should be a busy week.

roc

If you’ve never been to powder mountain, get there. I’ve been to a lot of places, and it’s still my favorite. If you are only interested in really steep and extreme, it’s not the place for you. But if you like soft snow and great tree skiing, it can’t be beat.

don

All and all it was a great day....Met up with @Chris26er and his daughter, we stuck together mostly....She took my son on a couple of runs so 6er and I could go smash some bumps.......god I miss skiing bumps...When i lived in Park city...there is a lift there called Thaynes...and there are 3 great bump runs off that lift...double jack, thaynes, and the hoist.....I used to spend all day there somedays just hitting them over and over and over until I was dam near broken lol.
lol, certainly no zipper lines around these parts, but ill take whatever i can get and be happy :) My timing isnt what it used to be and im out of practice, but god is this fun

I was exhausted just watching that! Being a snowboarder I'm not a fan of moguls but had to learn to ride them as all my friends at St. Mikes were skiers and that's what you rode during the early 90's. These days I'll farm the right side right along the tree line on bump runs as they are a little smaller on the sides.

don

thumbnail_IMG_2645.jpg
Only 6 turns but the first 2 were bottomless.

thumbnail_IMG_2688.jpg
My youngest throwing a little roost.

thumbnail_IMG_2724.jpg
My wife on a short but sweet run

thumbnail_IMG_2741.jpg
Old side-country exit with my youngest and his buddies

thumbnail_IMG_2743.jpg
We rode woods almost every run everyday

thumbnail_IMG_2714.jpg
Quick pic while roaming around the trees.

kidzach

If you’ve never been to powder mountain, get there. I’ve been to a lot of places, and it’s still my favorite. If you are only interested in really steep and extreme, it’s not the place for you. But if you like soft snow and great tree skiing, it can’t be beat.
Sweet ! Been out to Utah a few times. Sadly I never made it here though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom