20-21 Ski/Snowboard thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was running gen2 from 20 years ago. I run a real setup when there is snow. Going to look into the new ones. Probably just epoxy the boots back together.

There is no wax on the board. And 40 minute lift lines atm. I’m done for now. 1 run.
Going to go work with the kids after their lesson
That sucks, Pat, sorry! What shoe size are you? I have a set of those vintage stepin boots you can have if you're around a 9.

Spent yesterday at Belleayre. Conditions were great with lots of fresh snow. Glad I bought a ticket instead of using my epic pass at Hunter.
Big mistake of the day was following a group of 7 skiers down Cathedral Brook past the normal turnoff. They “looked” like they new where they were going. All was great till the sign that said “Hike Out” with an arrow pointing up to the left. Took 30 minutes. Thankfully others had done the same so there was a boot packed trail to follow. Had to really suck for the first guy in about 3-4 feet of snow. Got to cross a few streams which thankfully were running low.
The funny part is that one person of the group was a woman who chose to continue down the “trail” on her own while all the others were yelling at her.
When we got to the top I found out it was the wife of one of the guys I was following. That trail will eventually take her to the town of Pine Hill if she gets there before ski patrol finds her. Wouldn’t want to be in that car for the drive home.

Attachments

• 59F3C900-D29B-44B6-A4CE-BDC4375AA23E.jpeg
    59F3C900-D29B-44B6-A4CE-BDC4375AA23E.jpeg
    95.6 KB · Views: 22
  • DEA48E7A-0DD6-415A-B765-82690A36315F.jpeg
    DEA48E7A-0DD6-415A-B765-82690A36315F.jpeg
    137.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 30EA1B92-3765-4C1D-A3E5-4768DFA90E39.jpeg
    30EA1B92-3765-4C1D-A3E5-4768DFA90E39.jpeg
    120.5 KB · Views: 19
  • A99871B6-F7F9-4791-8F4C-E2EFE6ECE473.jpeg
    A99871B6-F7F9-4791-8F4C-E2EFE6ECE473.jpeg
    147 KB · Views: 18
  • 27651965-C28E-435C-83A3-7AF82359970A.jpeg
    27651965-C28E-435C-83A3-7AF82359970A.jpeg
    121.8 KB · Views: 18
  • D9B7FB31-E4EE-4268-833F-F09FB8D789B6.jpeg
    D9B7FB31-E4EE-4268-833F-F09FB8D789B6.jpeg
    102.9 KB · Views: 20
  • C31309C9-4EF6-4FAA-AABB-DADFE944C56A.png
    C31309C9-4EF6-4FAA-AABB-DADFE944C56A.png
    643.4 KB · Views: 21
That sucks, Pat, sorry! What shoe size are you? I have a set of those vintage stepin boots you can have if you're around a 9.

Thanks George - closer to an 11. I have another pair (for parts) - and i'll probably epoxy them.
I also have regular boots and bindings when the riding gets bigger than 600' of vertical - can always run them.

---

So i got in 1 run today - by the time i got through the rental place, it was 15 minutes in line.
only groups that came together on the lift - so yeah, a 6-pack with 2 people on it. by the time i got
down it was over 1/2 an hour. I went over and helped my son and his buddy after their lesson.

i find it amazing that his friend, just took a lesson where they were supposed to learn to turn,
would point it dh, and then fall at the bottom. given the lesson price, i straightened them out
right away and made them do drills - esp speed checks, and hard stops. otherwise they aren't
graduating!

anyway - i won't go back unless it is some frozen day where nobody will show up.
I'm not waiting that long in line to ski PA.

@stb222 - i wasn't able to pull a backside nose butter - kept bailing. between having no wax or edge,
and straps that stayed where they want, i just couldn't commit. got the front side, but couldn't follow it with an ollie.
we'll see if i can find a place to do it this year. #fail #loser.

So against my better judgment, I decided to hit up elk this morning... By far the longest lift ticket line I have ever seen in 41 years of skiing.... Thankfully this is one of those days where my wife is working and I have nothing else to do with my 6 year old

So against my better judgment, I decided to hit up elk this morning... By far the longest lift ticket line I have ever seen in 41 years of skiing.... Thankfully this is one of those days where my wife is working and I have nothing else to do with my 6 year old
I think Elk is one of the few places not doing online sales this season. Belleayre took 10 seconds the other day. You prepay online and there are machines outside where they used to sell tickets. Just stick the barcode in and it spits out an RFID card. Zero people on line on a 20" powder day.

Great thing about Elk, it's still not corporate. Bad thing about Elk, they haven't modernized things that should be.

Longer than these

Longer than these

Attachments

• AE9CF197-0DFE-41ED-846A-200A05382B72.jpeg
    AE9CF197-0DFE-41ED-846A-200A05382B72.jpeg
    143.9 KB · Views: 17
First time out this year, hit Blue Mountain with the family. We did a 4 hour pass from 3-7 (ish). The first 2 hours were slow, but after that it was much better. Snow was shockingly good, especially for PA. If I were to go back I'd do 5-9 instead of 3-7. After 5 or so the lines got much better.

Conditions at Killington were pretty darn good yesterday. Seem to be getting 3" every other day to keep things fresh. Haven't hit the warm up in over a month so ice mountain Killington usually turns into has not happened yet this season. Lift lines have never been too bad. Hopefully the mountain empties early today because of those flocking to see the game.

Well said.
@UtahJoe this is why we only do weekdays this season. Great place to go mid week if you can swing it.
Ya I wish I could have this week, but wasnt possible....in all, despite the insane lift ticket line...the slow lifts do make the actual skiing experience better...definitely less people on the hill per run. So thats nice, at no point did I worry about my son getting run over like I do constantly at shawnee for example

All and all it was a great day....Met up with @Chris26er and his daughter, we stuck together mostly....She took my son on a couple of runs so 6er and I could go smash some bumps.......god I miss skiing bumps...When i lived in Park city...there is a lift there called Thaynes...and there are 3 great bump runs off that lift...double jack, thaynes, and the hoist.....I used to spend all day there somedays just hitting them over and over and over until I was dam near broken lol.
lol, certainly no zipper lines around these parts, but ill take whatever i can get and be happy :) My timing isnt what it used to be and im out of practice, but god is this fun

So we made it all day...my sons first real day with ski poles...he was doing fabulous....I was so happy...BUT THEN...last run of the day, he wanted to try the moguls...When I was 6, my dad didnt ski moguls...EVER...he was a sunday cruise kind of skier...so I would have never gone anywhere near a bump run at that age...but well he asked me, so i was like...ok, if you want to, lets do...well, now its the end of the day and very icy between the bumps...needless to say, this was a mess...so that should cure any desire he has for moguls for a little while.

Ldblgm9.jpg

you can get a look at the lift lines here, id say about 15min on average really...bc there are 2 lifts running
2Z42jgI.jpg

great things about elk tho...I think it was 75-80 for us to ski...and my son was free.

@Zeke aka Zaskar I do want to check out windham, its someplace that I havent skied since I was little kid....but the tickets are $40 MORE than bellayre and im like...is it THAT much better?

When i lived in Park city...there is a lift there called Thaynes...and there are 3 great bump runs off that lift...double jack, thaynes, and the hoist.....I used to spend all day there somedays just hitting them over and over and over until I was dam near broken lol.

The one year I went out to PC they didn't get an inch of snowfall for 2 months prior. My luck with snowfall when going west is non existent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom