1Up Super Duty Bolt Tightening Specs? (lost a glide bar bolt and spacer on the highway😳)

Wow, this thread escalated quickly.

What are you all using for lubrication of the pivots, etc.?

Thanks, kj
According to 1Up, the answer is: WD-40 at the pivot points, if anything at all. All I needed to do to get my rack working like new was handled in Step 1. From the 1Up FAQ:

IF BENT ARMS GET STUCK WHILE OPENING OR CLOSING THE RACK, HOW DO I FIX IT?

Step-By-Step Instruction (Watch our Maintenance Video or follow the steps below.)

The tools required will be a 3/16’’ Allen wrench and two ½’’ wrenches. Proceed through the steps until your bent arms are able to move freely.

Step 1: Adjust the button head shown in figure 1 to the correct tightness. To do so tighten it down fully and then loosen it one half turn. A properly tightened button head should be able to spin with the Allen wrench with some resistance.

Step 2: Adjust the bolt shown in figure 2 at the end of your trays to the correct tightness. To do so tighten the bolt down completely, and back it off one half turn.

Step 3: If a large gouge is present in your Glide Bar, a new Glide Bar will need to be purchased. If these steps do not appear to be your issue, feel free to contact our support team for additional information.

Odd they recommend WD40 as a lubricant. Maybe there is a WD40 lubricant version?

1688396997684.png

Thats bc wd40 is a cleaner not a lubricant
Yes it is a solvent with a light oil. I had a great idea to undercoat my jeep with WD40 and it made everything it touched corrode faster. On the list of useful things it can do, polish and protect a frame repelling dirt, clean gunk out of derailluers and shifters, quick and dirty clean a bike chain then add lube.

If it needs to be lubed often then WD40 can work as a lubricant.

If a company tells you to use WD40 as a lubricant then you are honestly better off going to the lubricant section with a blindfold and throwing a dart.

Red and tacky has a new spray version that i would like to try. I personally use fluid film as a lubricant and to prevent corrosion.

Last edited:
As I have heard wd 40 was actually developed to displace water (wd- water displacer attempt 40)

My wife (who works in lubricants) could write you a novel on why she hates wd 40. Most of it around people misusing it as a lubricant

Thats bc wd40 is a cleaner not a lubricant
1UP didn't say it needed a lubricant in the maintenance video. Had this problem earlier in the year and used WD-40. At the time, I was off to a ride and couldn't find my can of spray silicone. I don't like WD-40 and it would not be my first choice for any job.

EDIT: They recommended a little bit of dry lube or WD-40 to eliminate squeaking.

As I have heard wd 40 was actually developed to displace water (wd- water displacer attempt 40)

My wife (who works in lubricants) could write you a novel on why she hates wd 40. Most of it around people misusing it as a lubricant

I had one [1] person I've met use WD-40 on-label...and it was because it's all they had. Stopped clocks/all that.

Incidentally, I've used whatever spray I had handy (Seafoam, Kroil [gasp], Ballistol, Boeshield, dry Teflon). All of them worked fine, and more-or-less stayed that way...which would seem to indicate that cleaning was more necessary than lubrication.

Back
Top Bottom