Car-spotting thread

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This morning: "Hey, new Corvette! Damn...just a 488." :) To be fair, it was white and coming at us. Hides the lines a little.

On the P-car thing. I had an '04 GT3 for a few years. I never really warmed to it. It was awesome when driven completely inappropriately but the rest of the time it was exactly what it was advertised as. A track-ready car with hardly any sound insulation ('so that's what the transaxle sounds like"), no ground clearance, and a super stiff suspension. My friend had a 996TT at the same time and it was just boring. We put a loud exhaust on it (Borla? Billy Boat? I can't recall). Then it was loud and boring. I was pulled over less than a mile from my house after we did the exhaust.

He later picked up a 997.1 GT3 and that was a better compromise between my old car and his old TT (a bit more luxury, sounded better) but it was even lower than my old car which made it a PITA to drive around in. He eventually traded it (with money coming his way) for a C6 Z06 with carbon brakes and various bits that he totally loved and kept for years.

My GT3 became my 360, which I may be buried in. :)

Good info. I feel like people love the GT3 because after you spend $125K++ on one, you better damn well tell people it's the best thing on 4 wheels to justify it to yourself.

And the 991 GT3 has a front axle lift option.

rick81721

Lothar
Good info. I feel like people love the GT3 because after you spend $125K++ on one, you better damn well tell people it's the best thing on 4 wheels to justify it to yourself.

what do you think the exhaust on this gt3 cost??

rick81721

Lothar
Darn. Make is Saturday ha.

hey are vehicle inspection centers open yet? My car is overdue like one year...

this came to mind, what do supercar owners do. Do they take it to the inspection center themselves like Joe and let Dave scrap up their windshield and leave muck behind?

inspection opened today in Flemington - should've seen the line on 202S!

Captain Brainstorm

I've driven lots of Caymans, a friend of mine had a '16 GTS witht the 3.4 and it was a pretty sweet combination of raw and refined. I also drove a few 718 GTS's that the media hates because of the 4cyl, but I thought they were pretty damn good also. I drove a couple of 16 Carrera S's and 4S's, as well as a few '17's with the 3.0 turbo, and I can very easily see myself living with any of them. I could easily live with a GT3, I ride GSX-R, so I'm used to raw and loud. For used Porsche money its also hard to argue against the Vette, but I think they'll be gouging us on the C8 for a couple of years.

If raw and connected is what you want, get a bike. Better yet, get an older one without anti-lock brakes, traction control, or a slipper clutch. Its just you and your wrist (that's what she said).

mfennell

Feeling pretty lucky - 2 cars have no inspection due to age. 2 are new enough to not require it. 1 is in October. Only my Volvo V70R is in the window. I'll just risk it. :)

Semi-rant: NJ inspection does absolutely nothing but plug in a scanner and the employees have mastered the art of taking as long as possible do to that one thing. They used to be reasonably legit - once caught a brake differential from a stuck caliper on one of my cars and I used to worry they were going to tear up the bottom of my Porsche with the lifting device that let them check balljoints/bearings (it turned out they had an exception list) - but really do nothing now.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
my car technically expires today (i think), but f-it ill get to it when i get to it, not waiting on that line i doubt anyone is going to be hassling you about it with the current situation

serviceguy

I didn't check today but Wayne is always a quick one. I'll need it in August so by then I hope there's not going to be any issue.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
my car technically expires today (i think), but f-it ill get to it when i get to it, not waiting on that line i doubt anyone is going to be hassling you about it with the current situation

do you use the "appointment" method at edison?

Top Bottom