The what new bike are you considering thread

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
ok well then your the same age as my sister, and a similar personality(wayyyy different apptitudes tho), were you born in Oct too?

Let the record show 89+2=92...

please revist, he did say best guess 89/90 as to the date of the picture, and he was asked if he was showing off the 89 him.

re quoted below for your convenience (in order)

1989 huh...89/90 my best guess on the when,
View attachment 107843

I’m on the right and the CEO is in the middle.

My buddy Marty (The Flash) is on the left.

Dan is going to show us the 1989 Dan!

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
ok well then your the same age as my sister, and a similar personality(wayyyy different apptitudes tho), were you born in Oct too?

please revist, he did say best guess 89/90 as to the date of the picture, and he was asked if he was showing off the 89 him.

re quoted below for your convenience (in order)

Sep 30

Ian F

I'm slower on my new bikes because I'm slow and out of shape. It has nothing to do with the bike. About the only PR's I've set recently is on jump trails since I've made an effort to improve my jumping this year on the new gravity bike.

mtbiker87

Truth be told, I’m not totally in love with the “modern geo”. At least not for around here. BB is too low on most bikes. My Nomad 4 for example rides a million times better in the upper position and I’ll take my Tallboy 2 (with my unapproved modifications) over the TB 3 or 4 for that matter any day of the week. For me, the advances of the last five years or so in suspension coupled with the pervasiveness of quality multi-link platforms is what really makes the ride.

Gotta agree with this. My 2012 Chilcotin rides better up here in the rocks on the " high" setting than in the lower setting. Yet at Creek, in low, and with some minor tweaks to my suspension settings, it's overall better than my freeride bike. Yeah it's a 2013, yeah, it's a 26er, but I honestly have yet to try something I've felt more comfortable on. I think a properly designed suspension system, tuned properly, along with fit, is just as , if not more important than the latest, greatest geo. I'm not against innovation, and experimentation, but I do think you reach a point where the gains diminish. You also have to take into consideration the limitations of the terrain, and rider. Whats great for a super fit ,professional DH or enduro rider, who can ride mach ten down a world cup DH track, or an EWS stage, isnt nessassarily the best weapon of choice for the 40 something trail rider who isnt as awesome fast as he thinks he is. I dont think you need a Nicoli, Geometron, Pole, or some other 64deg head tube gnar slayer to enjoy your local trails.

TimBay

They do, it’s called Craig’s list. ;)
But tjose are always 3+ old bikes. Might as Well be one of these at that point.
d31259a4523729ca9b1abcedb46caffc.jpg

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm married I have a kid and own a home how much younger can I be?

well you can have a kid in hs, and if you go into a trade(or enlist) instead of college you could conceivably have a house by the time your 21 . . . .

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
Truth be told, I’m not totally in love with the “modern geo”. At least not for around here. BB is too low on most bikes. My Nomad 4 for example rides a million times better in the upper position and I’ll take my Tallboy 2 (with my unapproved modifications) over the TB 3 or 4 for that matter any day of the week. For me, the advances of the last five years or so in suspension coupled with the pervasiveness of quality multi-link platforms is what really makes the ride.
The BB height is my only issue with modern geo. I get why it got so low, but we have a lot of rocky ”pedal-y” trails, so not the best fit. At least they are specing bikes with 170 cranks now.

But I do love the long top tubes and steep seat angles of modern bikes. My current bike in large has a reach of 479mm and I love it, even though I’m more legs than torso (ride a 56cm road bike). That would be XXL a few short years ago. And also a few years ago my HA of 66 would be considered extreme but it rides great since the SA is steeper at 76 degrees.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
The BB height is my only issue with modern geo. I get why it got so low, but we have a lot of rocky ”pedal-y” trails, so not the best fit. At least they are specing bikes with 170 cranks now.

But I do love the long top tubes and steep seat angles of modern bikes. My current bike in large has a reach of 479mm and I love it, even though I’m more legs than torso (ride a 56cm road bike). That would be XXL a few short years ago. And also a few years ago my HA of 66 would be considered extreme but it rides great since the SA is steeper at 76 degrees.
Spent today at Sterling and Ringwood. I rode my Bronson in the “HI” mode and while I didn’t get a single pedal strike, I certainly seem to prefer the handling of this bike in the low setting.

Captain Brainstorm

I'm more legs than torso also, but don't prefer a super long reach. The only places that I ride where the length could theoretically be better is on smooth, high-speed flow trails. I rode a large Bronson for a while, with longer reach, and it didn't translate into speed for me, at least not on that bike. I think there are more variables than just reach and head angle to consider. I need to try a few more longer bikes to come to a more definitive conclusion (although my bike isn't exactly short). I do like the lower BB height though (my bike has a low BB). I think the trade-off in cornering stability (especially on flat corners) is worth a few pedal strikes. I just learned to ratchet, to the point its now second nature.

Top Bottom