The what new bike are you considering thread

I just learned to ratchet,
1570828543280.gif

There’s a big race circuit for those Pennies in the UK. I follow a guy on IG that is always racing them.
I think someone just set a new hour record for
Spent today at Sterling and Ringwood. I rode my Bronson in the “HI” mode and while I didn’t get a single pedal strike, I certainly seem to prefer the handling of this bike in the low setting.
After a couple of low bb bikes running 175 cranks, I’m mostly used to it. I guess It’s the only downside I’ve had to deal with the modern geo. And I know it’s because bikes are being designed for fast cornering etc and not unsexy rockcrawling.

I'm more legs than torso also, but don't prefer a super long reach. The only places that I ride where the length could theoretically be better is on smooth, high-speed flow trails. I rode a large Bronson for a while, with longer reach, and it didn't translate into speed for me, at least not on that bike. I think there are more variables than just reach and head angle to consider. I need to try a few more longer bikes to come to a more definitive conclusion (although my bike isn't exactly short). I do like the lower BB height though (my bike has a low BB). I think the trade-off in cornering stability (especially on flat corners) is worth a few pedal strikes. I just learned to ratchet, to the point its now second nature.
I think one reason I like longer reach is it offsets the large amount of seatpost I run. And I like to climb out of the saddle. Everyone’s different. I’ve had enough bikes to learn what works for me, although I’m still learning. I can highpost a hardtail down a gnarly trail and not mind, but if it climbs weird it drives me nuts.

Yes, how did it just make you skill set?

I didn’t, I’ve been doing this in one form or another since BMX riding as a kid. I didn’t need to start doing it on the regular on the MTB till the BB’s got low. And it’s not exactly a hard skill to learn. I don’t even know if I’d call this a skill.

I didn’t, I’ve been doing this in one form or another since BMX riding as a kid. I didn’t need to start doing it on the regular on the MTB till the BB’s got low. And it’s not exactly a hard skill to learn. I don’t even know if I’d call this a skill.
It is one of the first things we teach the NICA kids, so yeah, it a skill.

i'd classify them as unexpected pedal strikes - i guess it is adjusting my visual?
(TB3) running sub 20% sag @210psi in the shock and still bottom it out, less, but still.

i'd classify them as unexpected pedal strikes - i guess it is adjusting my visual?
(TB3) running sub 20% sag @210psi in the shock and still bottom it out, less, but still.
You are bottoming your shock out every ride? Or are you talking that you when you are low in your travel you are getting the strikes?
If you are bottoming our every ride, you need more air.

You are bottoming your shock out every ride? Or are you talking that you when you are low in your travel you are getting the strikes?
If you are bottoming our every ride, you need more air.

It is in for service. I'm way over the recommended pressure, so will report back. I've been bottoming the fork also..
Been more agressive. And it is only a couple times per ride. Was under the impression that means I'm using full travel ??

Adding some tokens to the fork. Will see what happens.

It is in for service. I'm way over the recommended pressure, so will report back. I've been bottoming the fork also..
Been more agressive. And it is only a couple times per ride. Was under the impression that means I'm using full travel ??

Ok, full travel but multiple times in a ride is not normal. It could be your rebound is too slow and your fork and shock are packing down on small hits and one bigger rock/root bottoms it out.
Redo you settings per the manufacturer recommendations and go from there.

Sounds like you may need a few bands in the shock also. How much travel does your bike have and where do you ride?If you’re hitting features or ride up north, bottoming out a couple of times a ride is normal. If everything feels like shit and you’re bottoming out, then that’s a different story.

Ok, full travel but multiple times in a ride is not normal. It could be your rebound is too slow and your fork and shock are packing down on small hits and one bigger rock/root bottoms it out.
Redo you settings per the manufacturer recommendations and go from there.
I need to be schooled here... been riding as per manufacturer recommendations and haven't touched a thing... well... other than pressure.
I know what each settings do but never felt the need to change anything. This is prolly me being dense on the subject.

Sounds like you may need a few bands in the shock also. How much travel does your bike have and where do you ride?If you’re hitting features or ride up north, bottoming out a couple of times a ride is normal. If everything feels like shit and you’re bottoming out, then that’s a different story.

its 110mm shock (i think) - i'm probably 190+ lbs geared up. i'm riding rocks, and trying to hop logs, so i'm trying to push it. i'm not smooth either, so there is that.
it is well past its time between service - i'll put the shockwiz on it, and see what it says. i'm more surprised it happens because it is
intentionally overfilled to reduce sag - and i'm not sure what a couple mm on the shock equates for clearance. the VPP may have a weird
torque(is it T or mech adv?) curve given all the different levers involved, so it might be minimal. probably a good static experiment one day.

Back
Top Bottom