Just when I thought I was going to start saving some money...

Not sure how correct this is, white industries has the micro spline freehub shortly after xtr was realesed. Industry nine has it too.

It's possible manufacturers deal with Shimano in their country, not Japan. Shimano USA may be happy to get companies on board, Shimano UK may be in the pub.

I dunno, it's a weird issue as I think Shimano should have everyone on board by now if they're a major or semi-major manufacturer if they want acceptance. People upgrading from 10 or 11 want to just swap driver bodies not wheels.

With Shimano falling behind in the OEM market currently and their pricing on these groupsets I'm thinking next year we'll see a ton of bikes coming with Shimano wheels or at least hubs next year.

I am running the new I9 Hydra micro-spline hub. They are becoming my favorite hub, fast engagement & low drag. I hope the new I9 Hydra have better bearing life then the Torch. On all my other builds I run Chris King. I have a conspiracy theorie that Chris King got into a patent infringement lawsuit with Shimano on the SCYLENCE silent hub which may infringe on CK’s patent.

Not sure how correct this is, white industries has the micro spline freehub shortly after xtr was realesed. Industry nine has it too.
White Industries has a 12-spline body that just happens to fit the micro-spline cassettes. Looks like a way to dodge the licensing fees.

no need to get new shimano cranks right? just shifters, cassette, derailer, chain and freehub.

i have a feeling im going to end up with a 12 speed setup by end of the summer.

i have the sram DUB bb with a gx crank and rest is xtr, trying to avoid buying new cranks and getting a new bb installed. i doubt wolftooth is going to make a ring for sram cranks for shimano
There is nothing unique about the chains, so shouldnt make a difference between sram/shimano.

There is nothing unique about the chains, so shouldnt make a difference between sram/shimano.
the claim is there is some kind of uniqueness to the new chain that works better for hyperglide. i already have a wolftooth oval on the sram crank just want to run the rest all shimano stuff. i think it should be fine, pics on wolf tooths website do show any gnarly tooth differences so i can see why it wouldnt work unless the 12spd chains are thinner

i believe 12 speed chains ARE thinner than 11 speed, they are definitely thinner than 10 speed (at least going SRAM to SRAM)

the claim is there is some kind of uniqueness to the new chain that works better for hyperglide. i already have a wolftooth oval on the sram crank just want to run the rest all shimano stuff. i think it should be fine, pics on wolf tooths website do show any gnarly tooth differences so i can see why it wouldnt work unless the 12spd chains are thinner

Who knows if marketing BS. I plan to try the crank.

They are thinner, yes. Ever since above 8spd, they each spd has gotten thinner. But I have run shimano chains on SRAM without issue.
Guess we have to wait for pink bike or Zinn to do a compatibility test.

From Wolftooth:
The new Shimano XTR, XT, and SLX 12spd Hyperglide+ chain works differently than other products on the market so Wolf Tooth engineers developed a completely new tooth profile to provide optimal chain retention and durability when using this new chain technology.
  • The new HG+ chain interacts with the chainring much differently than a traditional wide/narrow design. Wolf Tooth engineers spent the time to understand how the system works and design a new tooth profile that is optimized for this system.
  • Engineered proprietary tooth profile maintains the quiet and smooth performance of the HG+ drivetrain with legendary Wolf Tooth chain retention.
  • Prevents premature ring and chain wear that can come from non-optimized profiles.

Last edited:
Luckily I will have to wait for OneUp Components to come up with their own version of the Shimano 12 speed chain compatible chain ring, I have their switch spider installed on my cinch cranks as it was the only one specifically providing a 57.5mm chain line, ideal for the super boost+ rear on the Fug.

Who knows if marketing BS. I plan to try the crank.

They are thinner, yes. Ever since above 8spd, they each spd has gotten thinner. But I have run shimano chains on SRAM without issue.
Guess we have to wait for pink bike or Zinn to do a compatibility test.

From Wolftooth:
The new Shimano XTR, XT, and SLX 12spd Hyperglide+ chain works differently than other products on the market so Wolf Tooth engineers developed a completely new tooth profile to provide optimal chain retention and durability when using this new chain technology.
  • The new HG+ chain interacts with the chainring much differently than a traditional wide/narrow design. Wolf Tooth engineers spent the time to understand how the system works and design a new tooth profile that is optimized for this system.
  • Engineered proprietary tooth profile maintains the quiet and smooth performance of the HG+ drivetrain with legendary Wolf Tooth chain retention.
  • Prevents premature ring and chain wear that can come from non-optimized profiles.
awesome, thanks for that info. according to marketing wank ill need new cranks and bb then. i knew i should have just went with a shimano bb and whatever cranks i wanted when i built this bike but it already had the dub bb pressed in so i ran with that.

So the whole conspricy with the new freehub, microspline, not be open to manufactures is hogwash. Who knows if some manufactures truly aren't getting the license, but DT Swiss, I9, Project 321 and others, all have microspline either available or coming soon.

In any case, I picked up the XT crank and chainring and have 4 rides on it, including some rough DH's. Any concern about the "new chain retention" tech with the chainring teeth is BS. It is just a version of narrowwide. I am running it with an 11spd chain an the only noticeable thing is that it may be a tad noisy with the minimal amount of lateral chain movement.

Last edited:
So the whole conspricy with the new freehub, microspline, not be open to manufactures is hogwash. Who knows if some manufactures truly aren't getting the license, but DT Swiss, I9, Project 321 and others, all have microspline either available or coming soon.

In any case, I picked up the XT crank and chainring and have 4 rides on it, including some rough DH's. Any concern about the "new chain retention" tech with the chainring teeth is BS. It is just a version of narrowwide. I am running it with an 11spd chain an the only noticeable thing is that it may be a tad noisy with the minimal amount of lateral chain movement.

FYI, the Shimano 12 speed chain is narrower and has specific profile to fit the cassette. It will most likely shift better.

I have been running XTR since April ~ 900 miles on my Ibis Ripmo. I am running RaceFace Next SL cranks with a Raceface Shimano 12sp compatible ring. The tooth profile is not narrowwide it has thick-thin teeth similar to Wolftooth. After dropping the chain a few time which never happened before with a RaceFace normal NW ring, I added a MRP chain guide.

The stuff is amazing.

FYI, the Shimano 12 speed chain is narrower and has specific profile to fit the cassette. It will most likely shift better.

I have been running XTR since April ~ 900 miles on my Ibis Ripmo. I am running RaceFace Next SL cranks with a Raceface Shimano 12sp compatible ring. The tooth profile is not narrowwide it has thick-thin teeth similar to Wolftooth. After dropping the chain a few time which never happened before with a RaceFace normal NW ring, I added a MRP chain guide.

The stuff is amazing.

What is the chain line with your setup? I'm looking to switch to XT 12 speed sometime in the future, but for me the missing piece of the puzzle is the chain ring as I run a Next R crank with the OneUp Switch setup for super boost. Unfortunately OneUp has not a Shimano 12 speed compatible Switch chainring yet.

Also the new XT components don't seem too readily available just yet through the usual outlets...

The stuff is amazing.
Right, narrower chain, no problems shifting with 11 speed, which is expected since it is just the front chain ring. I had reported because shaimno was seeling a new / better 12 speed chain wiht dynamic chain engagement and that it wouldnt work with 11 spd.

What is the chain line with your setup? I'm looking to switch to XT 12 speed sometime in the future, but for me the missing piece of the puzzle is the chain ring as I run a Next R crank with the OneUp Switch setup for super boost. Unfortunately OneUp has not a Shimano 12 speed compatible Switch chainring yet.

Also the new XT components don't seem too readily available just yet through the usual outlets...

I checked it with my old Parktool chainline tool and the chainline looks good (I am running boost 148). Also the Race Face Shimano 12sp ring is made much better then RF’s standard NW rings, which would only last 500 miles on my other bike.

Right, narrower chain, no problems shifting with 11 speed, which is expected since it is just the front chain ring. I had reported because shaimno was seeling a new / better 12 speed chain wiht dynamic chain engagement and that it wouldnt work with 11 spd.
As they say your mileage may vary.

Back
Top Bottom