Just when I thought I was going to start saving some money...

serviceguy

Freehub body not an issue, but the OneUp Switch chainrings are not compatible with Shimano 12 speed chain. Money saved, for now...

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Haha, Not a gram counter but not getting much else for more than double the cost. And stainless or ti cage screws bruh!

Will it work with <12 speed setups though? Or SRAM? Seems to be a weird tooth design?

May be a nice crank if the aftermarket make 10/11 sp compatible rings for it.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
810946_1.jpg

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Will it work with <12 speed setups though? Or SRAM? Seems to be a weird tooth design?

May be a nice crank if the aftermarket make 10/11 sp compatible rings for it.
Outside of the shimano direct mount pattern, it looks like a standard narrow wide tooth profile. Typically you can always use the greater speed rings on lower speed groups as the width of the chain ring is thinner. Might cause a bit of sloppiness / increase in chain wear, but the difference in chain width is so small (if it even is thinner). These damn wide range groups only get 500-700 miles out of a chain anyways, so cant be a huge impact.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Outside of the shimano direct mount pattern, it looks like a standard narrow wide tooth profile. Typically you can always use the greater speed rings on lower speed groups as the width of the chain ring is thinner. Might cause a bit of sloppiness / increase in chain wear, but the difference in chain width is so small (if it even is thinner). These damn wide range groups only get 500-700 miles out of a chain anyways, so cant be a huge impact.

Awesome, purchase it and let us all know if it works. :)

bergsnj

I bought new xt 11 speed last year and it sucks. Takes the Hulk to push the shifter.

i have XT 11 speed on my back up bike and it does take a lot of force to shift "down-shift" from small to the bigger gears. But it is a nice feature to be able to "up-shift" in to the smaller gears by pushing the lever either direction and the 2 gear up-shift at once is nice too. But you cannot beat the feel of SRAM Eagle. The XO1 is buttery smooth and easy to push. I do want to try this new Shimano stuff though.

Xler8

These damn wide range groups only get 500-700 miles out of a chain anyways, so cant be a huge impact.

That’s it? I’m coming up on a 1k miles (Eagle) and all though it’s not as smooth as it was when new, still shifts well.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
That’s it? I’m coming up on a 1k miles (Eagle) and all though it’s not as smooth as it was when new, still shifts well.
Yeah, I thought it was BS but have found it to be true. Do you check your chains with a chain tool? Be very careful with sram cassettes, I ended up ruining a GX 11 spd by not chaining the chain enough. It wore incredibly faster than any shimano cassette I have ever had.

Xler8

Yeah, I thought it was BS but have found it to be true. Do you check your chains with a chain tool? Be very careful with sram cassettes, I ended up ruining a GX 11 spd by not chaining the chain enough. It wore incredibly faster than any shimano cassette I have ever had.

No chain tool... maybe should look into one. Where do you find the spec limits on the chain?

There’s one thing that has always stuck out with Shimano for me - durable AF.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
No chain tool... maybe should look into one. Where do you find the spec limits on the chain?

There’s one thing that has always stuck out with Shimano for me - durable AF.
There are a few different types, here is a park one:

https://www.parktool.com/product/chain-wear-indicator-cc-3-2

I have a different one but they are pretty basic in what they measure, which is bushing wear of the chain. The short wear times is also why I started buying cheap chains. I am partial to shimano chains and now just get 105 / SLX level chains.

goldsbar

Just use a metal ruler. Those chain tools all have issues with what they're actually measuring. 12 chain lengths should ideally equal 12 inches. Anything over 12 1/16" s/b replaced. The Park Tool site has a good guide.

Top Bottom