Vamos pa' México hermano

image.jpeg

Grand Tetons were impressive. Can help to think there's one too many or one too few :D

I'm realizing now that I look like some kind of schnauzer w the mustache in these pics.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Yesterday morning I ran into a guy with whom I chatted in Banff and at the beginning of the race, always in English. He thought I was French or German and I thought he was English.

It turned out that he's half Argentinean, living in London! He has done 2000+ bike packing trips before and is a very strong rider. Curious thing is that he has done trips alone in remote places and doesn't even know how to fix a chain! Or what gearing is he using or pressure in the tires. He is making a movie for a small British bike brand, which he was using (steel, rigid).

Breakfast at Squirrel Creek Ranch. The plates are full size! I couldn't finish it all so I packed half for the road. When I came onto some signs of "Be bear aware" I stopped, eat all the bacon and washed my mustache :)
Now that's a real cyclist's breakfast.

Can you do me a favor while in Colorado stop at a hemp store and pick me up about a dozen pouches of Rocky Mountain High chocolate mints please

Can you do me a favor while in Colorado stop at a hemp store and pick me up about a dozen pouches of Rocky Mountain High chocolate mints please

Sure. Will do. Not sure if I can fit a dozen pouches in my dry sacs but will fit as many as I can.

Great job Segundo!! To go from zero bikepacking to the biggest bikepacking race on the planet is no easy task. Hopefully this setback is motivation to come back better prepared.

Hi All. After thinking hard for 2 days I decided to leave the race (quit, if you prefer). It's not due to physical problems (the things I have are healing and I'm feeling stronger every day). The truth is that I'm bored now. Because of my mistakes and problems of the first 10 days I'm riding alone now. This is more like a bike packing trip now, without the time (or the company) to enjoy the places you go through.

Covering the distance of the race was part of the challenge for me of course but not the reason I signed up for the race. Some participants are cool with going alone at their pace and completing the race in whatever time it takes them. For me, with the “racing” gone and no time or company for bike packing this is a bit pointless and I'm not enjoying it.

Thank you everyone for your support and good vibes. While I was in it, it was a huge motivator and company at a distance. These last 2 days I continued the race only because I didn't want to disappoint all the people and friends that are supporting me but I came to the conclusion that it doesn't make sense to spend 2 more weeks doing something that I don't enjoy to make good in the eyes of people that ultimately want me to have a good time doing this.

This has been a spectacular experience and I feel lucky just to have been able to do this. Very different from anything I've done before on a bike and racing in general. I've seen incredibly places, met really cool people and pushed myself on the bike further than ever before.

I'm cool with my decision and have no regrets. Thank you all again for your support, advice and good wishes. It really helped me get through rough times and motivated me.

Look forward to share some stories and thoughts on the trails when I come back.

Segundo

Awesome push....you have accomplish quite a bit and inspired many (including myself)!

This whole thing was awesome, hard to believe you accomplished this much. Thanks for letting us share the ride.

Maybe something like the Trans-Sylvania Epic might be more your speed?

This whole thing was awesome, hard to believe you accomplished this much. Thanks for letting us share the ride.

Maybe something like the Trans-Sylvania Epic might be more your speed?

Some 5 days/stages and not having to bike pack all your stuff along the way. Sounds like a piece of cake compared to what you went thru.

It was really cool watching your progress on the tracker. Also, I really enjoyed the pictures and stories. Thanks for sharing your adventure, Segundo!

Ok so now that this is over and you have 2 weeks leftover...

1. Are you going to KT with us?
2. Did you actually go to work today?

Ok so now that this is over and you have 2 weeks leftover...

1. Are you going to KT with us?
2. Did you actually go to work today?

Already has time off from work scheduled and lower elevation of VT sounds like a win/win!

Next year I will have a chariot made with built in kegulator so you can pull me around for training leading up to this race.

OK. Quick update as I'm on the run again!

Flight from Denver was delayed 4 hrs, then cancelled. Luckily I got into a later flight and made it home yesterday evening - in time so see Argentina be defeated by Chile, again, in the America's Cup :mad:

Today I didn't go to work, and actually slept in until 9 AM. My plan was to pick up my family in the evening in Newark but a min morning call from my wife changed that. She's stuck in Mexico with the kids b/c she forgot the green card of my oldest one! After looking at options the fastest and cheapest is for me to flight tomorrow in the first flight out of Newark, pick them up in Cancun and come back the same day (2 hrs after I land).

Today I was feeling stiff, especially my legs so, after I arranged my travel and my family's hotel in Mexico, etc. I went for a run to see how I'd feel. I did 3 miles at decent pace and felt OK but in the 4th mile my quads starting to hurt so I stopped.

Even though I've been eating pretty close as if I was still riding I weigh myself in the conditions I always do, at home, and I lost 5 lbs since I left home. I downloaded the Garmin files and a couple of those mark 11K and 12K calories! Garmin always overestimates calories burned but still the max I had seen before was 5K+ calories.

Planning to take tomorrow and Wed off, then start catching up w/ work on Thu & Fri.

Back
Top Bottom