Vamos pa' México hermano

Pampa

We're going to Mexico brother. Yep. This has been brewing for a long time and it's time to get it off my bucket list. Today I signed up for the Tour Divide race - a self-supported endurance race that goes from Banff, Alberta to Antelope Wells, NM (right on the border with Mexico). That's 2,711 miles and about 200,000 ft of climbing. I'm going to try and complete this in 28 days or less (that's the time off I got at work).

I've been always attracted to these kind of races but I always find an excuse to postpone them for later. Well, I'm 46 now and I don't take tomorrow for granted anymore so I finally decided to jump at it and give it my best effort.

It's going to be a real challenge since there's less than 12 weeks to the start of the race and my current fitness is whatever I worked up through the ST series. More importantly I have to learn a lot about bikepacking and navigation, but that's part of the challenge.

So, today was a good start. Got the OK at work, got my ticket to Calgary and did my first training - a 2 hr ride on Columbia Trail on my SS (34-18). Don't laugh, this is more than twice the riding time I did on Sunday at ST #4 :).

Next is starting to figure out the equipment I need, starting by the bike. I only have a Fatty and a SS now and I'll need a geared bike (although there are guys that are doing this race in fatties and SS).

The idea in doing this is to document my journey leading to the race [Disclaimer: don't expect a @jimvreeland quality blog/pics, but I promise I'll do my best), maybe motivate someone to take on something they have postponed too, get any advice/suggestions you might have (critics also well received), and make sure I don't back down from this now I made this public :).

We are rooting for Segundo.
Orange and Blue to the finish!

If I can recover some fitness I will waste a day here and there with you.

Take the road bike for some full days in the saddle. Less taxing while building base miles.

IlJq1c9.gif

This is so awesome. Subscribed! Let's ride some day.

Fantastic Segundo!!! Good for you taking this step and going for it! Can't wait to hear your progression as you prepare for this awesome adventure and execute it!!

bon chance!!

We are rooting for Segundo.
Orange and Blue to the finish!

If I can recover some fitness I will waste a day here and there with you.

Take the road bike for some full days in the saddle. Less taxing while building base miles.

Thank you Matty! And thank for the advice. I'll also be perusing the Tour de Fat thread for some of those triples and even a quadruple? you put together some time ago. Columbia Trail is like riding the trainer!

Man it sure would be nice to do this epic adventure on a super sweet, light ass carbon beast of a bicycle :D

yes! i have tons of info on TD since i was planning on doing it this year also so ill help any way i can, and im obviously up for stupid long training rides with loaded bikes

matt lee even said you dont really even need a training program, just ride a lot and at a level that you can do every day

Wow, you really jump into things bro. 12 wks is not a lot of time to prepare, you are going to have to put in 96 miles /day or more to do this in 28days or less...and I'm not going to even mention the climbing. Did you consider doing this event next year to give yourself more time to prepare?

I don't want to kill your vibe, I know you are highly resourceful and could handle the navigation, camping skills and bear fighting involved. I am pulling for you however I have to be honest and say that to jump into a world class event like this requires world class training. Your wife aint gonna give you another crack at this next year if you don't finish it this year, Just sayin:)

Wow, you really jump into things bro. 12 wks is not a lot of time to prepare, you are going to have to put in 96 miles /day or more to do this in 28days or less...and I'm not going to even mention the climbing. Did you consider doing this event next year to give yourself more time to prepare?

I don't want to kill your vibe, I know you are highly resourceful and could handle the navigation, camping skills and bear fighting involved. I am pulling for you however I have to be honest and say that to jump into a world class event like this requires world class training. Your wife aint gonna give you another crack at this next year if you don't finish it this year, Just sayin:)

When your only option is no option you really step up to the plate. @Pampa good luck dude! This is going to be an interesting read no matter what the outcome is.

yes! i have tons of info on TD since i was planning on doing it this year also so ill help any way i can, and im obviously up for stupid long training rides with loaded bikes

matt lee even said you dont really even need a training program, just ride a lot and at a level that you can do every day

Pity that you can't make it this year, you're there already (I checked your blog, very cool). Don't have time to read it all now but already jot down the bandana as possible item to take w/ me. Also, you can tell me about the cubano coffee at some point. Let me sort myself out over the next couple of weeks and then we can go on a long ride somewhere. Thanks!

Thank you for watch out and advice Iggy. I've been postponing doing things like this for a long time, being for work, because I'm not trained, because of family, etc. This Sunday when I watched the movie about this race I had that moment in which I said "Enough of watching, I'm going to try it". However, that was just the trigger, I've been wanting and talking about doing something like this for a long time. Many years ago it was an Eco Challenge (a week-long adventure race), then races like the ones @jimvreeland tackled, and more recently other events that push you to your limit, like the Berkeley Marathon.

I just don't know what might happen next year. Maybe I'm sick/unable to even try something like this, maybe I'm without a job, who knows. This years the starts aligned--well, I forced them a little but basically they aligned enough that it would allow me to start this. I know it may sound stupid for many, like I'm setting myself up for failure, but I'm going for the whole experience, even from now (I already feel anxious, like "what the heck I'm doing" but incredibly excited at the same time) and during the preparation phase, and not for time or position in the race.

I know it's a huge challenge for me (and for the record, the bear fighting is one of the things that worry me the most) but I'm enjoying it already.

Back
Top Bottom