Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
Any of you half-roadie hybrids doing the Farmlands Century on Saturday?:cool:

Say I'm not the only one.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Not me, but many moons ago that was my first ever century. Bike computer ended up reading 102.7 by the end, and I was none too happy about that extra 2.7, let me tell you :)

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
There used to be one down in south Jersey that was even flatter. Pinelands Triple Loop or something? I did it once and it nearly killed me. Talk about mind-numbing boredom.

Oh and don't listen to Ben on this stuff, as he's literally ridden like 200-300 miles in a single day before.

Farmlands used to start at Brookdale CC. That's Community College, not cream cheese.

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
This will be my first at Farmlands but I hear it's a hell of a lot of fun and a great way to start off the season too.
I'm in it for the speed.

C'mon Jake, I've seen your stats. You can do this.
(Misery loves company;))

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
It's not a legs thing, it's a time thing. Wife, two kids, 10 yards of mulch, bla,bla,bla.

I don't mind suffering provided I have enough nourishment. That seems to be where I go wrong most

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
Not me, but many moons ago that was my first ever century. Bike computer ended up reading 102.7 by the end, and I was none too happy about that extra 2.7, let me tell you :)

I know what you mean.
My first venture onto a bike as an adult after a too many years to mention hiatus was for the MS 100. Signed up for it on a whim and trained for it in 3 1/2 weeks. When I finally dragged my butt in at 112 miles, I wanted credit for every single one of those 112 freaking miles.:)

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd

The last century I rode (1996) a friend and I decided to ride from where we lived (Bergen Co) to where the century started in Rockland Co. 135 miles for the day. And it was a brutal day too--it was when my back was getting really bad and I had to get off the bike every 15-20 miles and lay down flat...several times on the shoulder of the road. Two months later was when my back seized and I couldn't walk for three days (and that was the absolute end of my bike riding 'til last fall).

Ah memories...

Last edited:

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
It's not a legs thing, it's a time thing. Wife, two kids, 10 yards of mulch, bla,bla,bla.

I don't mind suffering provided I have enough nourishment. That seems to be where I go wrong most

Anybody can do a century provided you can suffer a bit. It is all about how flat the route is and how fast you go.

I've done 7.5 hour centuries and 5 hour centuries (on nearly the same routes)...words cannot explain how different those experiences were...especially since the 5 hour one was solo and I had nobody to commiserate with other than myself :eek:

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
It was a perfect day for a century!
Well, except for the strong winds(why are they always headwinds?)
Rode past Allaire... where was everybody?

And Ben, though it's not terribly mountainous, I registered 3765 feet of climbing.. that's not Exactly flat... maybe when I'm young and skinny like you I'll think so too.

Anyway, It was my second century, my first being the end of August. I shaved 3 hours off my on the bike ride time, into the wind and uphill. Not too shabby.
I actually had more energy in the end and starting at 80 miles, I got more and more pumped and rode faster too. By 90 miles, I was cheering on the people I passed with a countdown of miles left. I don't know why, but most didn't seem to appreciate that:D

BiknBen

And Ben, though it's not terribly mountainous, I registered 3765 feet of climbing.. that's not Exactly flat... maybe when I'm young and skinny like you I'll think so too...

Back when I did it in the '90s it was called the Farmlands Flat Tour. Maybe they've changed the route. :rolleyes: 3600' over a century is still pretty flat. Compare that to Hillier than Thou which had 10,700' in 100 miles. Glad to read that you finished strong. That is the best way to do a century.

BTW, how old do you think I am? I doubt I qualify as young any more.

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
BTW, how old do you think I am? I doubt I qualify as young any more.

Well, Ben, it's so hard to tell by your picture, what with no teeth showing... and you sound pretty young by your posting(but that could be your carefree, go get 'em manner, or the voices in my head).. and I risk revealing my age if I tell you how old I think young is. Revealing my age is something I'm not comfortable with since I usually get those looks like I should be doing something more serious with my free time or at least "acting my age":rolleyes:...

So at risk of blowing my cover and having absolutely no grounds to base this on, I'd say you look @ 33 in your matchy-matchys with your hair hidden under your helmet.

How'd I do?

Top Bottom