Any Skiiers/Snowboarders Out There?

words do not describe how jealous I am, I probably wont get to ride snow like that till January. Thanks for the report!

So I hit up the "new" Mountain Creek South for the first time last night. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised and had a lot of fun! It's still though far from perfect.

First the things that suck...
-They still have bombholes in the landings and ruts on just about every takeoff.
-Jersey's finest is still out there showing no park etiquette.
-The ratio of boarders to skiers is like 9:1 (comeon freeskiers, get out there and represent)

Now on to the good stuff.
-Having a top to bottom park is a blast, it gives an entire new/fun feeling to the mountain, and you can get a great flow going
-They had some really fun boxes and rails setup.

In other news I was up at Hunter on Saturday and the high speed quad broke again. It's closed until further notice (they should have the parts in later this week) so check the snow report before heading up there.

So I hit up the "new" Mountain Creek South for the first time last night. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised and had a lot of fun! It's still though far from perfect.

First the things that suck...
-They still have bombholes in the landings and ruts on just about every takeoff.
-Jersey's finest is still out there showing no park etiquette.
-The ratio of boarders to skiers is like 9:1 (comeon freeskiers, get out there and represent)

Now on to the good stuff.
-Having a top to bottom park is a blast, it gives an entire new/fun feeling to the mountain, and you can get a great flow going
-They had some really fun boxes and rails setup.

In other news I was up at Hunter on Saturday and the high speed quad broke again. It's closed until further notice (they should have the parts in later this week) so check the snow report before heading up there.

Snowboarding is in high fashion right now so the amount of skiers will stay pretty low for a while I bet. It seems that there are less average skiers around this year. I have seen the once a year crowd and the super hardcore but very few average types on skis.

I just got a handful of comp passes for mt creek last night so i might hit some mid week days shortly.

From my perspective as a 20 year + snowboarder is that the tele thing seems to have the most appeal.

I spent 2 days last week in some insane conditions and the guys on tele's made it look really good.

In terms of backcountry stuff I would say that there is no better setup than to tele.

That being said a splitboard may be in my future.

Snowboarding is in high fashion right now so the amount of skiers will stay pretty low for a while I bet. It seems that there are less average skiers around this year. I have seen the once a year crowd and the super hardcore but very few average types on skis.

I just got a handful of comp passes for mt creek last night so i might hit some mid week days shortly.

From my perspective as a 20 year + snowboarder is that the tele thing seems to have the most appeal.

I spent 2 days last week in some insane conditions and the guys on tele's made it look really good.

In terms of backcountry stuff I would say that there is no better setup than to tele.

That being said a splitboard may be in my future.

Do the splitboard, especially if you're getting up to Jay as much as it seems you are! The easily accessible backcountry options will just expand that much more. I have to get up there sometime this year.

I love my tele's but I feel like a fool when I ride them around here :D Although people are always amazed when I hit rails with them ;) (Although it's really just as easy to do it on them as on alpine skis)

tele feels good

You can't argue the popularity of snow boarding, the younger crowd revived the ski industry with it. But for pure pleasure and the simplicity of skiing, tele is highly enjoyable.
With updates to telemark binding systems and performance friendly boots tele is becoming more popular. It will always be behind boarding and alpine but this is part of its appeal. Its like oooh, whats that.:hmmm:

Went with the split board.

I hope I get it before my trip out west.

I can't wait to be able to skin up some terrain that I had to post hole last season.

J-

According to their site they got 6-8 inches :drooling: so they're opening up at 9 instead of noon, like they were originally scheduled.

I'm going up tomorrow night after work. I can't wait to check out the new park at South :getsome: Conditions should be awesome!!!

Link turns, open minds.

Congrats to all you snowboarders, Taos today announced that they will be lifting their ban on Snowboarding, http://www.firsttracksonline.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=3472

I often wondered why they hadn't lifted it sooner but it seemed like it was definitely coming. My bet is that we'll see Deer Valley lift it within 5 years time, and then we'll just have the stubborn two (Alta and MRG).

I myself am very excited for this cause I have wanted to go to Taos for years but wasn't about to take a trip out west that I couldn't go on with most of my friends. I wanted to hit up Jackson next year to ride the new tram, but maybe I'll do Taos instead.

Link turns, open minds.

Congrats to all you snowboarders, Taos today announced that they will be lifting their ban on Snowboarding, http://www.firsttracksonline.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=3472

I often wondered why they hadn't lifted it sooner but it seemed like it was definitely coming. My bet is that we'll see Deer Valley lift it within 5 years time, and then we'll just have the stubborn two (Alta and MRG).

I myself am very excited for this cause I have wanted to go to Taos for years but wasn't about to take a trip out west that I couldn't go on with most of my friends. I wanted to hit up Jackson next year to ride the new tram, but maybe I'll do Taos instead.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the new Poaching contest that Burton sponsoring??

The timing is right.

It just seems foolish to turn down that much cash flow.

You have to figure that many families that would have gone there had to go elsewhere since one family member snowboarded.

It is better late than never.. now for the rest of them.

j-

I wonder if this has anything to do with the new Poaching contest that Burton sponsoring??

It could be partially due to it, but a few months ago I was reading an article on Taos in Powder Magazine and they were talking about how is the past decade they've had something like a 75% decrease in annual visits. It seemed from that article that they would be opening up to snowboarders and it was simply a matter of time. Perhaps the burton contest triggered it though.

I've heard all the good stuff at that mountain is "hike to" and there's a bit of ridge traversing so a split board will be a good thing there.

How did mt creek make out today???

More rain than snow??

They did get a fair amount of snow. I wound up going late last night. The "new" south is the same crap, different hill. All of the boxes, rails and jumps still have huge bomb holes behind them and have the funnel of death in front of them. The new snow turned out to be snow/sleet on top of a solid glacier.

I lucked out today..

I decided at the last minute on Sat to drive up to Stratton.

I had been looking at the weather and Kmart and the rest looked like they would not fair well with the wind.

Stratton actually makes out the best in the wind.

Bottom line:

Almost no one there (football game?? X-mas shopping??)

12-16" in the last 24 hrs..

Snow all morning that turned to sleet around 1pm.. then I went home.

Killer day with many lines poached by me on the Megalight 174. I rode with a bunch of real VT locals that were burning on the lift (I didn't). Crazy dudes. They showed me all the great pow stashes. Fun FUN!

Killington only had 2 lifts going and no way to the upper mt. Hence the luck.

I saw over 20+ cars smashed into the guardrails on the way home tonight on 87.

Seems like they all hooked the front drivers side wheel in the snow and the rest was history.

At one point I saw 6 cars off the road at one time with one of them on it's roof. OUCH!

I think that it should be mandatory for all NJ drivers to put snow tires on their car if they go to VT in the winter.. Snow tires are cheaper than an insurance deductible I think??

Get on it this week. Conditions are primo.

Have a look at what is going on at Jay.. Unreal.. 40+ inches in the last few. No lifts though since the winds are out of hand.

BTW This Thurs I am getting a big crew together up at Stratton if anyone wants to join.

J_

Glancing Aft
Nice find on the Taos article.
In a way I am surprised but then again maybe not.
What it all comes down to is the $$$$$$.
In the old days Ernie use to hide Martini drinks in the trees
Which were referred to as martini trees?
Ernie must be rolling over in his grave

Jackson Hole and Taos is a tough call but Jackson is sicker than Taos.
If you have skied /boarded Jackson give Taos a try.

BTW This Thurs I am getting a big crew together up at Stratton if anyone wants to join.
J_
I'd be there, but I just had a new boss start this week at work, so no calling out "sick" just yet....

Jackson Hole and Taos is a tough call but Jackson is sicker than Taos.
If you have skied /boarded Jackson give Taos a try.
Or maybe I could just do both next year?

After reading twelve pages in this thread instead of doing whatever it is they pay me to do here I have an intense craving to get out and hit the mountains on my new board (just picked up a Palmer Pulse). Grrrr can't go until Saturday. All of this talk about getting a group together, how about we make a date for Sat Jan. 12 at whatever mountain the consensus agrees on. We can set up many more for the rest of the season so everyone has a chance to get out with this mtb crew. If any good storms happen to roll our way, maybe a group "sick day" on non weekends.... what do you all think?

After reading twelve pages in this thread instead of doing whatever it is they pay me to do here I have an intense craving to get out and hit the mountains on my new board (just picked up a Palmer Pulse). Grrrr can't go until Saturday. All of this talk about getting a group together, how about we make a date for Sat Jan. 12 at whatever mountain the consensus agrees on. We can set up many more for the rest of the season so everyone has a chance to get out with this mtb crew. If any good storms happen to roll our way, maybe a group "sick day" on non weekends.... what do you all think?

I'll be making turns out at Whistler on the 12th! :D So I wont be able to make that. Shar0se and I had been talking about possibly getting a MTBNJ group up somewhere the weekend after that? But the more weekends the better I say!

Whistler

Hey, i see your going to Whistler, have u- or anyone else- ever been before? Im heading out there im march. Do you know the type/level of terrain out there, im a bit worried about some friends that are joining me, their skill level is not too great. I mean i know there are always green trails, but to get the best out of the mt how good should one really be?

Chris (Sharons Brother)

Back
Top Bottom