Dietary Intake

norm - what is your caloric intake?

Different every day, but these days I'm shooting for a 1000 calorie deficit every day. That works out to about 2800-3000 on biking weekdays. On my 2 non-bike days the difference is less, more like 2200-2500 total. Weekends it really depends. This is pretty recent so it's working itself out still.

i apologize, but i dont have the attention span this moment to read the entire thread. when i choose foods, i base them first off of vitamin content, then ingredients. i think vitamin rich foods are the best way to get your vitamins if you can manage it. my diet tends to be mostly grains, followed by fruits and vegetables, then fish and nuts/beans.

if you're worried about mercury levels in fish(should we be?), i'm pretty sure salmon is alot less affected by mercury levels in water. it also tastes better, and if you get the canned stuff with bones intact, it's a good source of calcium as well.

ahhh, the nutrition thread. i love this topic. so many opinions, so many vitamins, minerals and ways to skin a cat.

protien- any will do, they all suck. trust me. i've tried pretty much all of them over the past eight years. some suck less. if you're drinking them alone, buy those. if you're making smoothies, it doesn't matter. costco can be your homeboy. if you make a smoothie the right way, you can check off a lot of the boxes quick. here's a simple recipie i used for a long time:

1 scoop of protien powder (i like strawberry for this)
1 scoop of peanut butter
1 bananna
1 hand full of berries (straw or blue work bestest)
1 scoop of yogurt. pretty much any will do. i stick with the berry theme
1 cup to 1/2 cup of cranberry juice (i think pomegranate would be great too)
top off with ice
blend.

this was a great recovery shake or a quick lunch. i really drinks like a meal. unfortunately, depending on your stomach, it may run through you like taco bell too so be aware.

Question

If you guys and girls are using protein shakes as a recovery drink, are you also using a recovery specific drink like endurox, etc.? or is it one or the other, or am I confusing two different uses?

walter

If you guys and girls are using protein shakes as a recovery drink, are you also using a recovery specific drink like endurox, etc.? or is it one or the other, or am I confusing two different uses?

walter

Hi Walter. For me it depends on the day. I use Clif Shot Recovery drink (mango orange flavor yum yum) or Endurox (fruit punch is awesome) when on the trail and far from home, since I find smoothies do not travel well. They just lose something the longer they sit. On very long rides I will drink the Endurox during the ride, after my electrolyte gels or drink is exhausted but before the water is gone. It may not be conventional but I find the carb/protein mix sustains me very well for 25 miles through Ringwood. Since I started using Endurox on longer rides I've been bonking less than when I was using straight Clif Shot gels or Gatorade. But that is just me.

After a long run (I am training for a half-mary right now) or a longer road ride (thing of the past at the moment since I sold the road bike) I would make the smoothie at home, since my road rides were usually door-to-door loops, and I could take the time to fire up the blender and enjoy something special.

The bottom line is, post-workout recovery meals should be about a 4:1 ratio of carbs to protein by weight. Most recovery drink mixes hit this ratio on the head; smoothies can vary depending on what ingredients you use. But fruit, juice, yogurt and a little protein powder pretty much covers you.

also, in regards to flax seed, is it an actual liquid, or are you mixing in the powder form?

There are three ways to use flax: whole seeds, meal made from ground seeds, or oil pressed from the seeds. I prefer the meal. You get the benefit of the Omega 3s and the high fiber content. You don't get the fiber from the oil.

Oh, and DO NOT cook with the oil, it is very unstable at high temps and has a low smoke point. Use it in smoothies or as part of your salad dressing or poured over steamed veggies. Same for Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Shouldn't saute with it.

walter - i like endurox for recovery, orange cream (i think it was heythorp that turned me on to this stuff). You can also make a maltodextrin cocktail (http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=887), and jake will argue that a banana, some blueberries and a handful of cheerios will work just as well (basically, eating the right post-ride meal). I am going to try some of these protein concoctions for my post-trainer recovery drinks, as opposed to endurox.

Flax seed does come in three forms. It is my uderstanding that the whole flax seed and meal have to be handled and stored properly, and used relatively quickly, since they will go rancid, and will lose any nutriative value. We tried the whole flax seed, and the distractions of our life always derailed our efforts to use it regularly. We switched to the oil, keep it in the fridge, and 1 tablespoon in the AM after breakfast is as easy as it gets. In theory it seems pretty nasty, but it really has no flavor. My wife just bought one flavored with cinamon extract - whatever gets you through the night.

Jersey, have you tried hammer Sustained Energy or Perpetuem while on your longer rides. I know many endurance people that swear by it.

I have found Endurox to work best for me for recovery. They now make vanilla and chocolate. The vanilla tastes like a shake.

I was using Gary Nulls protein powder. It actually tastes good.

My smoothie recipe is:
1 scoop powder
1 banana
1/2 bag of frozen berry blend (strawberry/blueberry/ rasberry) if you use frozen you don't need to add ice
water

I stay away from yogurt, something about it grosses me out, same with sour cream :puke:

My BF uses Hammer Gel but I can't quite get over the taste or consistency. Perhaps I will give it another shot this year. It probably does not help that he fills a giant flask once at the beginning of the season and then lets it sit in his Jeep all summer.

That probably has something to do with the taste.

I am sure that has something to do with the taste.

Jersey, so with the flax meal, that is what you were putting in your smoothies?

Thanks guys for the other input, I too am trying to get my stuff together.

Shaggz, the Monique Ryan book that Norm suggested is really good. The second edition comes out around March, but I was able to track the first edition down at a not so local bn.

Lastly, in regards to soy milk, its my understanding that it provides a higher protein, less fat content, as well as all that lactose issue stuff over regular dairy milk, am I on the right track?

Thanks guys for the other input, I too am trying to get my stuff together.

Shaggz, the Monique Ryan book that Norm suggested is really good. The second edition comes out around March, but I was able to track the first edition down at a not so local bn.

Lastly, in regards to soy milk, its my understanding that it provides a higher protein, less fat content, as well as all that lactose issue stuff over regular dairy milk, am I on the right track?

well not to open a can of worms but dairy in general really isn't that good for you.

yes, I put flax meal in my smoothies - but beware: Flax Meal has a property called "shear." It is what happens when agglutination of the soluble fiber occurs at high circular velocity. In other words, the more you "spin" the flax meal in your blender, the thicker and thicker your smoothie will become. That is why I blend the smoothie first, and stir in the flax meal after. Otherwise it is like drinking redi-mix concrete.

Also, buy Bob's Red Mill flax meal and store it in your freezer. I usually go through a bag and a half in a year, and it never goes bad on me.

As for soy milk, right on target. Just be sure you are not sensitive to soy - soy milk makes my stomach knot up so I avoid it. If you are going to start drinking soy milk, assess your tolerance before you pour some on your breakfast cereal and then go for a 2 hour ride.

walter - i made the transition to soy using the eigth continent flavored brands, which are very sugar laden. the chocloate is almost undrinkable - even my 3 year old chocoholic son request it get cut with plain soy or regular milk. they have a vanilla light, which is low fat and low sugar, and lightly flavored.

You can get your recovery from any old food. Personally I use Endurox but a plain bagel is almost exactly the same carbs:protein ratio. I also like grape nuts because they are carb dense. Plain bread, and so on. You can get into the whole ciwuja and soy isolates argument if you like, but I'll keep my hands off that. You gotta figure it out for yourself. If you can get away without paying for the high priced stuff, I would do that. But some stuff works better for some people.

Whole flax seed is not digestible. It'll end up on your pooper paper.

I've just started making my own maltodextrin everything. I bought 25 pounds of it and am experimenting in various ways. So far it actually works very well except for the fact it mixes poorly. I also got some Perpeteum for Xmas.

And I agree with the dairy not so good for you. We don't do milk anymore. Still eat cheese because we're not communists or anything.

Back
Top Bottom