What have you done to your bike today?

Replaced two chain links.... On the trailside.

Attachments

• 20220929_133355.jpg
    20220929_133355.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 67
Wow that's allota quick links on one chain
Yeah, chain is getting replaced before my next ride. Wonder when they're letting us have the flat-top chain N1n0 is using (and that derailleur... need)
SRAM-XX1-Eagle-AXS-BlackBox-prototype_photo-by-Michal-Cerveny_in-detail.jpg

How many different sized bikes is this chain shared with?
Just the one bike. When I bought the bike new from a shop, they had the quick link installed upside down so I had to replace it. Another chain break made 2 of them, then this time was a double-failure, with one of the QL's failing. Lots of QL experience since I bought this bike. 3 of them makes my not-busted teeth a little nervous.

SRAM quick links shouldn't be locked in place more than once, so this wouldn't be a good method of sharing chains, of anyone were crazy (cheap?) enough to do that. There are multiple-use QL's out there (my gravel bike has one on its KMC chain), and I know some people will re-use SRAM's, but it's not ideal.

Isn't that the direct mount RD?

Yeah, it's a prototype, or at least a pre-production model. It's definitely not stock anything compared to what's on the market right now.

It is, but it's out there.
Link? I can't find a direct mount axs derailleur. The pic I posted above has a shadow outline of where the stock axs sits to demonstrate that this one is closer to the axle, theoretically to minimize impacts.

Trying like hell to find compatibility and came across this: https://www.velonews.com/gear/technical-faq-sram-axs-flattop-chain-compatibility/

From the article: "There is no cassette bigger than 10-33 that mates with the Flattop road chain."

So Red AXS flat-top chain isn't compatible with MTB narrow-wide chainrings. My wait continues. Damn, I wanted to be wrong.

(Accuracy at the expense of being tolerated by the Endurance Guy)

Trying like hell to find compatibility and came across this: https://www.velonews.com/gear/technical-faq-sram-axs-flattop-chain-compatibility/

From the article: "There is no cassette bigger than 10-33 that mates with the Flattop road chain."

So Red AXS flat-top chain isn't compatible with MTB narrow-wide chainrings. My wait continues. Damn, I wanted to be wrong.

(Accuracy at the expense of being tolerated by the Endurance Guy)

That info is old and outdated. On Sram's site you can buy a Force Wide group (1x10-36) or any of the X'Plor groups (1x10-44) and they all use a flat-top chain. I use a flat top chain with AbsoluteBLACK narrow-wide rings. It's gonna rain all day so I'll put it together so you can see. I have every option here in my pile of poop.

20220916_101013.jpg

That info is old and outdated. On Sram's site you can buy a Force Wide group (1x10-36) or any of the X'Plor groups (1x10-44) and they all use a flat-top chain. I use a flat top chain with AbsoluteBLACK narrow-wide rings. It's gonna rain all day so I'll put it together so you can see. I have every option here in my pile of poop.

View attachment 197362
Shit yes. Sometimes I love being wrong. Thank you, sir!

One of the worst mechanical commutes on Thursday...snapped 1 spoke at 5 miles in and a 2nd at 7 miles. Somehow limped through the last 8 miles after tightening the spokes hastily so no more would die. Fixed it as best I could with the zip tie method at lunch and cut them off with a diagonal cutter.

PXL_20220929_123541695.jpg

Grabbed a couple spokes at Hilltop which is conveniently on my way route home. Didn't bend the rim nearly as bad I was expecting which is cool.

PXL_20221001_124642792.jpg

And noticed the Element front brake was pulling quite close to the lever so gave it a quick bleed and noticed the pads were most likely the culprit in the process. Also one of the pistons was pretty lackluster in movement so cleaned that up with some q tips.

PXL_20221001_124724758.jpg

Hey, does anyone have a Medium Mayor I can throw a leg over? Been looking for a Mukluk for years and am gonna give up. The RSD checks a lot of boxes except for the dumb Enduro bro geo, just want to see it it's tolerable.

Back
Top Bottom