Ask an automobile mechanic.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
jeez I went into the toolbox to get my 10mm and it was missing as my son last used it... found it in the wrong slot but that made me nuts for like 10 mm I mean min.
Find out what color the wire is,and cut it in the door harness!

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Any of you car nerds have a used battery that will fit an '06 Camry? My wife's battery died and I really don't want to buy a new one since this car is getting junked soon.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Any of you car nerds have a used battery that will fit an '06 Camry? My wife's battery died and I really don't want to buy a new one since this car is getting junked soon.

Buy her a jumper pack and tell her to keep it charged? 🤣🤣

In all seriousness I have had good luck with putting the battery on a charger with a repair/recondition mode to extend the life of it. Depending on How much time you need might be worth trying out

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Buy a new one for your car then give her yours.

My car battery died a few weeks ago, so my battery is already brand new.

Nah her car is new new I'd warranty it and sell it as new but it's not worth the hassle tbh

Her car is an '06 with 240,000 miles on it.

Buy her a jumper pack and tell her to keep it charged? 🤣🤣

In all seriousness I have had good luck with putting the battery on a charger with a repair/recondition mode to extend the life of it. Depending on How much time you need might be worth trying out

Last we heard, her new car arrives in "November." But that was a month or two ago, and we haven't heard anything new.

I'll probably jump it and go to Advanced Auto tomorrow for a new battery, it's just annoying.

Reactions: w_b

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Batteries aren't that expensive but I have said charger if you want to give it a try. I also have the battery analyzer which SHOULD tell you whats going on with it if you want to spend time/effort rather than $$$ on the problem

Reactions: don

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
My car battery died a few weeks ago, so my battery is already brand new.

Her car is an '06 with 240,000 miles on it.

Last we heard, her new car arrives in "November." But that was a month or two ago, and we haven't heard anything new.

I'll probably jump it and go to Advanced Auto tomorrow for a new battery, it's just annoying.

thought she already got a wrx and I miss read makes sense now. Just get the battery from costco and return it when you're done

before anyone complains you already know I don't care

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
He is going to suffer through till that new car shows up

If it was my car, yes. But it's the wife's car. And who knows when the new car is actually going to show up.

My parents were stopping by later anyway, so I told my dad to bring his battery charger and we'll see what happens.

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
So my miss in my 01 Yukon is mechanical. Due to # of miles on the engine (187k) it's not worth fixing just the top end. I'm cheap and don't want to spend $75 k on a trunk. I only use it for towing, probably less than 5k miles a year.

My options are:

Anyone have a spare 5.3 engine in the shed?
Get a replacement engine for a shit load of $$- the veh frame is solid, brakes and AC are good. Tranny is good.
Find a replacement vehicle: 2500 'burb, Yukon xl, 2500 van- which will be costly now.
Learn how to rebuild an engine over the winter.
Fire?

To add, it tows the RV I have great!!

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
if you dont drive it during the winter much i vote DIY rebuild, stick it in the garage and work on it a bit each night, find a shop to do the machine work and reassemble. definitely easier to rebuild OUT of the car, but that part is up to you.

Patrick

Staff member
So my miss in my 01 Yukon is mechanical.

What was the diagnosis? @GSTim's 2000 Sierra is approaching 300k.
time to part it out Tim?

Did you use a code reader?

might be a fun winter project to do the top side. otoh, it is a common engine, might get one from a bone yard.

Bisquick

I put in 01 Yukon 5.3, there is 45 pages of results. I'm sure you can find an engine that was clearly totaled from accident damage (lots of places post pics of everything) and with a warrenty, for under 1000.

If you can find a running engine for under 1000 I don't know if it's worth it to rebuild. Parts for the rebuild will be in the hundreds, then machining and any tools you need and don't have...

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
What was the diagnosis? @GSTim's 2000 Sierra is approaching 300k.
time to part it out Tim?

Did you use a code reader?

might be a fun winter project to do the top side. otoh, it is a common engine, might get one from a bone yard.

I have a code reader, which said misfire on #3 Cylinder.
I took it to my mechanic, he said he saw #1 and #3 cylinders misfire. Swapped coils, wire plugs same thing.

Patrick

Staff member
I have a code reader, which said misfire on #3 Cylinder.
I took it to my mechanic, he said he saw #1 and #3 cylinders misfire. Swapped coils, wire plugs same thing.

head gasket leak between cylinders?
or cracked head/block.
diagnosis can be done w/o taking the engine out, but once you pull the head, it isn't going back unless it is fixed.
someplace between easy weekend project and call 'Kars4Kids" ;)

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
So I had weird scenario that I still don’t fully understand:

Rotated the tires on my outback doing the brakes a couple years ago. After rotation there was a noticeable shimmy in the front end. Had my wife bring it in to a shop to get wheels balanced. Tech said the wheels are bent and can’t be balanced. I thought that was weird but not impossible, ended up just living with it since we didn’t drive that car often.

Fast forward to this year, and now the Outback is our only vehicle, so I had to get it fixed. When getting the car inspected I brought it to a shop that does wheel straightening. Told them I need the wheels balanced, and if any of the wheels are bent maybe they could fix them if it was reasonable (tires still had a lot of life in them). So they call and say the car is ready, they balanced the wheels and didn’t say anything about the wheels being bent.
The next day I drive 200 miles to my moms house. The shimmy was better but not gone. Put the car on the lift as I wanted to replace the sway bar links. First wheel I remove, there’s a giant bald patch. Looking at the other tires, 3 of 4 of them have bald patches. Each in the spot they had added weights on the inside of the wheel (they added a lot of weights, but not more than the general maximum weight limit).
EEF2A8D1-291A-4B68-9453-A6230BFA073E.jpeg

So at this point I have no choice to replace the tires. So bring it to a local shop, get new tires mounted and balanced. They also don’t say anything about issues balancing it. One the road the shimmy is completely gone, everything feels good. That was a few months ago, everything has been fine with the tires.

So in the end I’m not sure what the actual issue was. Perhaps it was bad tires all along, or maybe the first couple shops were too lazy to start balancing from scratch and just kept adding weights on top of weights.

Top Bottom