Ask an automobile mechanic.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I've been trying to sell this Snap on . But it's not cheap. 2700 new.
It does everything all makes and model motorcycles too.
View attachment 175405

ha that would be great, but your probably asking more than im looking to spend, if you want to pm asking price ill consider it.

i have this guy sitting here, but it doesnt work on my wifes car (well any further than a normal code reader could)
Amazon product

it was an amazon deal earlier this week so i thought id give it a shot and disappointed i am

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
ha that would be great, but your probably asking more than im looking to spend, if you want to pm asking price ill consider it.

i have this guy sitting here, but it doesnt work on my wifes car (well any further than a normal code reader could)
Amazon product

it was an amazon deal earlier this week so i thought id give it a shot and disappointed i am

Did you do all of the updates? What kind of car is it?

michvin

any of the other shadetree/back yard guys have a good bidirectional scan tool they like? my scan tool took a swim and i need to replace it. want one that does more than just read/clear codes (bleed brakes, cycle evap solenoids, reset maintenance monitors ect) not looking to spend too much but not going to cheap out on it either (seems like the range for these is $150-1500 and up from there).

free/reasonably prices updates for new cars are a major plus
Which car is that for? I have a laptop set up for BMW (INPA)

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Is it because it's so new? Doesn't it take a while for the updates to catch up?

maybe? i am honestly not sure, but they havent changed the car (afaik) since 2017 so i would expect at least SOME of the options to work even if they all dont yet

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Ahhh, a Chrome "feature". :rolleyes:

your ad blocker?

the preview is generated by mtbnj forum s/w - same as a twitter or youtube URL is changed to embed something more interesting than a link.

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
If you are going to replace it or rebuild it anyway, why not just drive it till it dies? Is the misfire bad enough that you can't drive it?
Well I have an update. In the last oil change my mechanic added a quart of marvel mystery oil to the engine. I was going to do this, but he beat me too it

I haven't been driving it too much, but recently it's been running much quieter and smoother.

Well, I drove it the other day and the check engine light was off. I was like wierd? Did I clear the codes and forget that I did? When I read the codes the misfire codes all cleared and the ECU went through all the engine checks.

So I gather I had some stuck valves and the MMO cleared them all up. So now I'll keep driving and enjoying it. I'll probably go for another oil change and another quart of MMO.

02camaro

Well I have an update. In the last oil change my mechanic added a quart of marvel mystery oil to the engine. I was going to do this, but he beat me too it

I haven't been driving it too much, but recently it's been running much quieter and smoother.

Well, I drove it the other day and the check engine light was off. I was like wierd? Did I clear the codes and forget that I did? When I read the codes the misfire codes all cleared and the ECU went through all the engine checks.

So I gather I had some stuck valves and the MMO cleared them all up. So now I'll keep driving and enjoying it. I'll probably go for another oil change and another quart of MMO.
sorry i missed your original post. im going to bet since its not the coil/plug/wire its a stuck or failing injector. very common problem. you could start with unpluging each injector while its running, if the engine runs worse with the injector unplugged that cylinder is firing, if it doesnt change then that cylinder is not firing. i think if you were to tear into that engine you would not find anything wrong. that year does not have cylinder deactivation so that rules out a bad lifter causing a mis (very common issue in 07+ trucks). you could still have a bad lifter or two but that is uncommon and there would be other symptoms as well. a bad head gasket could cause a miss but there would be so many other things that would go along with that like, coolant and oil milkshake, compression in cooling system, smoke, overheating etc. you could get lucky with a injector cleaner you put in the gas tank. i use BG products, its supposed to be used with a injector cleaner machine but idk anyone that uses it. seafoam also seems to be popular but i have no experience with it.

if you continue to have problems, message me on fb (nick ridgway) for a quicker response. im very familiar with those engines and have been elbows deep in alot of them.

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
sorry i missed your original post. im going to bet since its not the coil/plug/wire its a stuck or failing injector. very common problem. you could start with unpluging each injector while its running, if the engine runs worse with the injector unplugged that cylinder is firing, if it doesnt change then that cylinder is not firing. i think if you were to tear into that engine you would not find anything wrong. that year does not have cylinder deactivation so that rules out a bad lifter causing a mis (very common issue in 07+ trucks). you could still have a bad lifter or two but that is uncommon and there would be other symptoms as well. a bad head gasket could cause a miss but there would be so many other things that would go along with that like, coolant and oil milkshake, compression in cooling system, smoke, overheating etc. you could get lucky with a injector cleaner you put in the gas tank. i use BG products, its supposed to be used with a injector cleaner machine but idk anyone that uses it. seafoam also seems to be popular but i have no experience with it.

if you continue to have problems, message me on fb (nick ridgway) for a quicker response. im very familiar with those engines and have been elbows deep in alot of them.
Thanks. Right now the codes have cleared and no check engine light. I actually follow you on FB and If I was still having problems I was going to hit you up.
Both the oil and water shows no sign of contamination.

Hopefully things will be good.

Last edited by a moderator:

HiFiGuy

More of a general question about an air compressor, figured this thread would be best place to get an answer
I have a no name electric air compressor, apparently it has developed a pin hole leak in the tank. Can this be repaired with JB Weld or something or is it a danger?
9C6C7415-FEC5-457F-B31E-3F58552E7E4D.jpeg

02camaro

More of a general question about an air compressor, figured this thread would be best place to get an answer
I have a no name electric air compressor, apparently it has developed a pin hole leak in the tank. Can this be repaired with JB Weld or something or is it a danger?
View attachment 178217
Throw it away! Get a new one. You are lucky it didn't turn into a bomb. Your 9 lives have already expired.

Last edited:

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
View attachment 178217
Probably won't explode but get a new one. You'll be chasing pin holes

moose35

If there's a hole on the outside that usually means there was excess moisture in the tank and the inside will look worse then the outside. Not worth the risk.

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
i would replace, maybe you can find a tank from garbage freight or similar and save the compressor head, but i wouldnt waste the time/money/effort on trying to salvage that tank, not worth the hazard as mentioned above.

Fat Trout

View attachment 178217
like others said. Zero chance. If thats what happened on the high side with an exterior weld I would wonder what the shell looks like inside. I always cringe when I blow out the bottom of my 2 gallon and rusty water comes out. I didn't expect better but I know what it means.....count down to death. I highly doubt you would have a bad failure though. It just will not hold air.

Top Bottom