Cars, it's electric! Do Do Do

wow, they actually called me. It only took 4 days to make this such an easy conversation!

They have no ETA on the part and they said it's the entire seat assembly. They don't just replace the failing parts. Gosh, this means I'll never get it...
Do you have the car or do they do loaners?

going to pickup today or tomorrow. The car is fine to be used. The second row just isn't functioning as designed.

Nah, they started cutting out loaners or loaner supply is slowly dwindling. They sent you uber vouchers.

@Santapez I think everyone does too but ya know ASS U ME. Idiots are idiots and a holes are a holes.

Not typical. Early production 7 seater X with the folding second row bench seats. They are supposed to recline forward and release side forward for entry to 3rd row. Doesn’t do the sliding part. Got my work ticket in 3 days before basic warranty expiration. Keeping my fingers crossed for a short lead time on the parts needed.
Isn't the X the one with the most issues? Seems like they really have improved as they went along and the Y being the best out of all of them. Especially since mistakes found on the 3 probably go right into the Y design.

Ok, typing that last sentence makes me think their naming scheme kinda sucks.

Mid 2017s and on I would say they learned from 2015 and 2016. Mine is mid 2017 which was critical in the purchase.

But they all have issues. I wouldn’t say one has more than another. It’s just the doors on the X but the one I have is pretty solid. Knock on wood. I’ve had great examples, S3X. I never got stiffed with rubbing panels or bad paint.

Last edited:
Comparison: Real World Cost of Fueling EVs and ICE Vehicles

This study offers the conclusion is EVs cost more to "fuel" than gasoline cars that get reasonable gas mileage.

Italics below Cut from article..,
  • Cost of the residential charger
  • Cost of commercial electricity
  • An annual EV tax
  • Deadhead miles to get to a fast charger
A mid-priced internal combustion car that gets 33 miles per gallon would cost $8.58 in overall costs to drive 100 miles at $2.81 a gallon, the study found. But a mid-priced EV, such as Chevrolet Bolt, Nissan Leaf or a Tesla Model 3, would cost $12.95 to drive 100 miles in terms of costs that include recharging the vehicle using mostly a commercial charger.

I found this of particular interest,

Also, don't plan on ever having a 100% charge on your EV, he said.

"It’s very difficult to charge it up to 100%," Anderson said. "The chargers slow down and the manufacturers warn you not to do it because there is additional burden on the battery system when you get your vehicle above a 90% charge.

I always wonder how to properly care for modern batteries in all my devices. Considering an EV would be exactly the same, do I have to top it up every day? Can I just drive back and forth to work for three days, then charge? Will that kill my batteries?

Yikes!

This study offers the conclusion is EVs cost more to "fuel" than gasoline cars that get reasonable gas mileage.

• An annual EV tax
A mid-priced internal combustion car that gets 33 miles per gallon would cost $8.58 in overall costs to drive 100 miles at $2.81 a gallon, the study found. But a mid-priced EV, such as Chevrolet Bolt, Nissan Leaf or a Tesla Model 3, would cost $12.95 to drive 100 miles in terms of costs that include recharging the vehicle using mostly a commercial charger.

"It’s very difficult to charge it up to 100%," Anderson said. "The chargers slow down and the manufacturers warn you not to do it because there is additional burden on the battery system when you get your vehicle above a 90% charge.

I always wonder how to properly care for modern batteries in all my devices. Considering an EV would be exactly the same, do I have to top it up every day? Can I just drive back and forth to work for three days, then charge? Will that kill my batteries?

Yikes!
This seems like they are comparing the worst case scenario for an EV, and best case scenario for ICE.

• An annual EV tax

Yikes!
NJ pays for the residential charger according to a freind that just purchased a model 3. Ev tax? Freind also says no tax on ev purchase in Nj. Premium fuel just hit 4 bucks a gallon here in south joisey...

NJ pays for the residential charger according to a freind that just purchased a model 3. Ev tax? Freind also says no tax on ev purchase in Nj. Premium fuel just hit 4 bucks a gallon here in south joisey...
There will be an ev tax to replace gas tax which goes towards fixing roads and whatever it gets linked to.

With all the tech, the ways to calculate it are endless.

Installing a charger in your house should increase the value of the house!

There will be an ev tax to replace gas tax which goes towards fixing roads and whatever it gets linked to.

With all the tech, the ways to calculate it are endless.

Installing a charger in your house should increase the value of the house!
According to the state of nj the value of the hovel that I reside in is worth 3x what I paid 30 yrs ago. I however fail to see it!
I'm tryin to justify an electric vehicle but can't using the basic math skills that I possess. Im actually closer to justification of a golf r.......

@one piece crank man that is one piece of garbage study, no offense to you and I agree with @Mahnken assessment

If you have long run from your panel to charging spot (through walls etc) then maybe cost could be up to $1k for electrician. I paid $300 bucks to have two outlets installed in and outside house, near panel in garage.

-You almost never need to charge to 100% that will degrade you battery. Or don’t let it sit at 100%. When I do a long trip I make sure its 95% and still charging to get max miles. I plan my departure. I even do this daily and set departure on car to 7am and start with a nice cozy warm battery.
-To answer your last question, you can drive it few days. Just don’t let it sit at low state of charge like 20% or less for overnight or at least make it a habit.
-you get home for the day and plug in you car it’s really that simple. Wake up 70% to 90% or whatever floats your boat in that range

Anyways, I came to post that I dropped car off for new seats then they had the Y 7seater on showroom. Wow this is garbage. Lol
-8”? Of legroom with second row all forward
-and the exposed rails like that. They literally just slapped it in and making it almost work
3470773B-E920-40AB-B70D-0B67A7F2D6DA.jpegC2136708-9505-44B8-A807-13490DD53398.jpeg

@one piece crank man that is one piece of garbage study, no offense to you and I agree with @Mahnken assessment

If you have long run from your panel to charging spot (through walls etc) then maybe cost could be up to $1k for electrician. I paid $300 bucks to have two outlets installed in and outside house, near panel in garage.

-You almost never need to charge to 100% that will degrade you battery. Or don’t let it sit at 100%. When I do a long trip I make sure its 95% and still charging to get max miles. I plan my departure. I even do this daily and set departure on car to 7am and start with a nice cozy warm battery.
-To answer your last question, you can drive it few days. Just don’t let it sit at low state of charge like 20% or less for overnight or at least make it a habit.
-you get home for the day and plug in you car it’s really that simple. Wake up 70% to 90% or whatever floats your boat in that range
IF, we were to consider a EV I'm not that concerned with additional set-up costs like chargers and outlets. I would be concerned with knowing proper battery care & charging. Plus, if I only drive 35 miles a day, I'd like the peace of mind to only charge every 3-4 days and top-up for the weekend.

word. My wife drives local, maybe 20-30 miles a day. Typically I charge her car 3/4 days. And that’s like 50% to 80%. In case of any emergency I don’t let it fall too much below 50% cause she’s with the kids. That’s just my magic number. Don’t let it sit at high or low charge. That’s all.

Anyways, I came to post that I dropped car off for new seats then they had the Y 7seater on showroom. Wow this is garbage. Lol
-8”? Of legroom with second row all forward
-and the exposed rails like that. They literally just slapped it in and making it almost work
View attachment 170055View attachment 170056
Wow, that's hideous, lol. When we got the Y I was wondering how they were going to make that work. I guess they didn't, ha.

I put in the Tesla home charger myself. Around $450 for wire and conduit for about 80' run from the panel, and $500 for Tesla charger. The install is in the DIY thread somewhere. Could've saved around $500 if I put an outlet in instead, but the Tesla charger is the fastest at home option. And if we get a second Tesla and charger it'll split the amperage between the two when both are charging, so I won't have to put another circuit in. And I've got enough conduit and wire leftover to get to the other side of the garage.

Back
Top Bottom