High Bridge: NJ’s first professionally built flow trails on public land.

Dingo

My first, only, last time ever ride there it took me a while to find them. In the parking lot I asked 3 different people about the flow trails. No clue, one runner lady said to ride up the rail trail about 2 miles and they are on the right (?) Finally just pedaled around and found them by chance. These are def not my kind of riding. The jump line at Allaire is way more fun for me. Different strokes for dif folks. :)

one piece crank

Saw a spotted lanterfly here yesterday. Bummed to see them taking over.

I first saw them in Western Hunterdon County last fall - sprayed and squashed all the adults I could find. I have seen the various larval stages throughout 2020, and I'm worried how thick they will be this Fall.

Kill 'em if you see 'em.

SLF_Lifecycle.jpg

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
so these trails are nowhere near nassau? I thought they were back behind those new trails east of nassau road. sorry to the guy I told a few weeks ago to look there!
You can easily ride to them from the Nassau lot. Best bet is to park at the Columbia Trail lot and either start or finish with the flow trails. They are not that long (2 min top to bottom?).

don

IMG_1544.jpg

Did a few quick few laps at High Bridge yesterday as I was in the central NJ area.

First off the overall layout of it is really really impressive. I think the short climbs to the descents are well do and keeping the whole area together with the pump track at the bottom is just right. I did the right side climb up first but then kept with the left side climb the rest of the laps. Right side a bit steep but not bad, left side seems better for the type of rider/bike that would be lapping the flow lines.

First lap was on the green trail. Overall fun but the berms felt flat (more so as you got further down) and the rollers peaky. The few tabletop jumps felt fine. I think I could have learned to jump some of the rollers but with how firm and rocky the surface was and how narrow the trails was I didn't want to try.

Blue trail was next. Top part drop-in area was fun (up to the first berm). I ended up hitting cycling that a half dozen times. Picture was from the rollers going into the first berm. The rest of the trail was like the green - good overall layout but berms were flat/bad radius, peaky rollers that probably could be jumped but felt tricky, narrow and really rocky terrain.

Pump track I wasn't feeling. Overall I'm not a fan of pump tracks as I've not ridden one that really had me stoked. Even a decent one is really hard to layout and build for various ages and skills. I do love the area that the pump track resides. I think mini flow lines would work better and easier to build and maintain. A slight downhill with some well made tabletops I think are a better learning experience for riders looking to dial in their jumping skills. I think following the down slope with few lines would be the move there. And a smoother surface is critical need.

Big props to the people that put this together. The model is incredible and I would love to see something like this (Hartshorne has the perfect terrain wink wink) nearer to me and other parts of NJ. I know I was complaining about the overall feel but it is so hard to get a great running flow line working "out of the box" They need a lot of work and maintenance (the narrow feel could be fixed with monthly weedwacking/mowing). I think the material there may be hard to work with. With so much rock it may have been smooth at first but hard summer rain storms will blow it out.

goldsbar

peaky rollers that probably could be jumped but felt tricky

That's how I felt. I treat them as pumps, but they're certainly steep pumps. Others on this thread that seem to be better/more into this type of stuff treat them as doubles. I do the small doubles on the nearby trails no problem, but these would be a bit risky for my skill level.

My direct knowledge of pump tracks is very limited - to this one! It was a lot of fun, but I now understand why they make some of them out of wood or pave them.

The whole area is a lot of fun if you hit the trails, do a few circles on the pump track and a few climbs to the two flow lines. Easy couple of hours of entertainment.

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
On one of the other threads, the Jorba director said the local trail group will be modifying the jump trails this fall to address the issues people are having with them.

Correct. I rode/walked each trail with the builder and chapter leadership to discuss needed tweaks yesterday. It was my 3rd or 4th time riding the commons since they were completed. We have also had a full summer to collect feedback; everyone from the Trail Boss to our newest NICA students. Even the legendary @V-Dub sessioned it and gave us feedback.

I think the end result will be really great. We have some super experienced and dedicated folks involved and a wonderful land manager in the Town of Highbridge. I wish every town in NJ invested in parks, trails and outdoor recreation in similars ways. It's on the short list of places we would relocate to if we did so in NJ.

The next steps are to introduce the chapter to the town rec committee and get a work day on the books. Avid Trails will be there for the fall workday to help move lots of dirt. Stay tuned.

Last edited:

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
Big props to the people that put this together. The model is incredible and I would love to see something like this (Hartshorne has the perfect terrain wink wink) nearer to me and other parts of NJ. I know I was complaining about the overall feel but it is so hard to get a great running flow line working "out of the box" They need a lot of work and maintenance (the narrow feel could be fixed with monthly weedwacking/mowing). I think the material there may be hard to work with. With so much rock it may have been smooth at first but hard summer rain storms will blow it out.

Speaking of legends!

Thanks for the feedback Don. Spot on. The pandemic and related issues in the area delayed a lot of our plans with standing up the chapter crew, but also provided a longer break in period.

don

Correct. I rode/walked each trail with the builder and chapter leadership to discuss needed tweaks yesterday. It was my 3rd or 4th time riding the commons since they were completed. We have also had a full summer to collect feedback; everyone from the Trail Boss to our newest NICA students. Even the legendary @V-Dub sessioned it and gave us feedback.

I think the end result will be really great. We have some super experienced and dedicated folks involved and a wonderful land manager in the Town of Highbridge. I wish every town in NJ invested in parks, trails and outdoor recreation in similars ways. It's on the short list of places we would relocate to if we did so in NJ.

The next steps are to introduce the chapter to the town rec committee and get a work day on the books. Avid Trails will be there for the fall workday to help move lots of dirt. Stay tuned.

That is awesome to hear. The foundation is there - it just needs some tuning but that is the case for any good lines/trails.

Your second paragraph is spot on! I've seen it first hand on a pump line I helped with - kids and adults absolutely loved it and it got people out to enjoy some fresh air, nature, and exercise. What is great about pump/jump lines is that people that don't ride can and love to watch. And next thing you know they are hoping on a bike to give it a go. Like you said it is really great that the town of Highbridge is investing in that.

Great to hear that Avid will be there in the fall. I've seen their work on the IG feeds and it looks like they know what they are doing. If there are open dig sessions I would love to help if I can (but would really prefer something like Highbridge closer to me!)

don

Speaking of legends!

Thanks for the feedback Don. Spot on. The pandemic and related issues in the area delayed a lot of our plans with standing up the chapter crew, but also provided a longer break in period.

I'm not sure of the legend you speak of but it's certainly not me! I kind of forgot (a good thing?) how the pandemic really messed things up back in Mar/Apr but like you said a longer break in period. Some tuning and that place will be a rip!

phillychris498

I got a ride in at the new flow trails yesterday. Improvements to Blue Steel are immense! The jump at the beginning and the tables in the middle are pretty big now, and there's a new, very built-up berm that's great for cornering at high speed. Super fun, looking forward to coming back once it's reopened.

Robin

According to FB page, trails are closed, temporarily/wet. There is a chain across entrance.

1C11BF56-81CA-4541-A3C4-EC8130F0C0E6.png

Top Bottom